Is this enough protection for my Computer??

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by skillzlikewhoa9, Dec 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skillzlikewhoa9

skillzlikewhoa9 Registered Member

I just got my new DV5t laptop and I want to be really safe in regards to Spyware, Adware and Viruses. I have 64 bit windows Vista. This is what I have downloaded so far onto my laptop. All programs are Free-ware.

Avast Anti-Virus
    Lavasoft Ad-Aware 2008
    CCleaner

I also have Windows Defender and Windows Firewall by default.

Does anybody think I need more protection or am I pretty safe?

I also don't think any of that will protect me when I download music. Am I Correct?

2. jonyjoe81

jonyjoe81 Registered Member

Whats your internet browser? if you use internet explorer your in terrible risk, don't believe anyone who tells you it is safe. Get firefox 3.0 instead.

You also need a virtual type software to use when you surf the internet. usually I recommend "returnil" to everyone but it doesn't work on vista 64. the virtual type programs will reset your computer after you reboot, any virus/spyware that might have defeated your defenses will usually not survive the reboot.

Below is my setup and it's extremely secure, no virus/spyware has defeated my security in the past 2 years.

1. zonealarm firewall
    2. avg free antivirus
    3. firefox 3.0 browser
    4. returnil

That's it, I keep it simple. Antispyware software will slow you down and nothing has ever defeated "returnil" in my computer and I can browse any website I want without worrying about getting any permanent damage.

If you can't find a virtual program, make sure you use an imaging software to make a backup of your c: drive at least once a week. If you get infected, just restore that image backup, and you will be back in business within minutes. The free "macrium reflect" is both 32 and 64 bit capable.

3. AKAJohnDoe

AKAJohnDoe Registered Member

If you download from legitimate sources you should not need extraordinary protection.

4. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

Are you adequately protected?
    I'd say probably not. Bit borderline.
    IMO AdAware is not worth installing, there are much better.
    There are quite a few different hardening and immunization procedures you could use, such as limiting the rights of an account or program, a hosts file, etc.
    A backup and recovery plan is important.
    For a "traditional" basic setup as you have posted, Avast is great, SAS or MBAM would be much superior to AdAware, and you should include a two way firewall.
    I'd also suggest you search and browse the forums a bit for ideas and recommendations.

5. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

I would agree with this post 100%. The only thing I would add to the OP would be to make sure you're behind a well-configured router with NAT firewall protection. Sometimes when we make these lists we forget about that important box since it's not part of the computer. Good post, jonyjoe81!

6. skillzlikewhoa9

skillzlikewhoa9 Registered Member

Since I have windows vista 64 bit, what other options do I have. Can I use a program called Sandboxie and is it any good?

7. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

Sandboxie is excellent but it does not support Vista 64 bit.
    http://www.sandboxie.com/index.php?WindowsVista64

8. Sandmann

Sandmann Registered Member

Sandboxie is excellent and highly recommended for 32 bit systems.

Unfortunately, Sandboxie will not work with Vista 64 bit systems at this time.

I would look at some sort of virtualization software if possible.

9. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

Some of the utilities for Vista 64 bit include the excellent Superantispyware and MalwareBytesAntimalware (resp. SAS and MBAM commonly), Comodo firewall Pro (which despite the name is free) including "D+", a HIPS module (= behaviour blocker) which can improve security by a significant percentage. Do read up on how to use the HIPS/D+. For ease of description, it can be thought of as an internal firewall, which will warn of changes being made inside the OS that could be malicious. Some of the flagged changes will not be malicious, and this will occur typically when installing new software.
    If you prefer to stick with the original firewall, there are applications that can control it (or rather, give you more precise control over it,) haven't tried this (don't use Vista) but there are some excellent learning threads about it at the firewall forum.

Try the MBAM and SAS (similar to AdAware but much better) for demand scanning; out of the above, and in the absence of my knowing about any imaging or sandboxing app for Vista64, the most significant improvement (IMO) you might make is to install Comodo Firewall.

10. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Your protection is only as good as you want it to be.
    Mrk

11. Long View

Long View Registered Member

Programs have very little to do with security. Depending upon how you surf you may run no programs and yet never get contaminated. At the other extreme people with ridiculous numbers of "security" programs somehow managed to shoot themselves in the foot. No short cuts - sorry.

12. Fly

Fly Registered Member

Ad-Aware is probably not worth installing.

I disagree with the poster claiming that using IE 7 is 'bad', 'stupid', or irresponsible. I am using it, IF YOU USE IT THE RIGHT WAY you can be relatively safe. (configure it properly, use security software that monitors attempted changes to IE 7 etc). If I'm not mistaken, you can use DEP for IE 7 ? (I have neither the hardware or the software to do that, so I'm not sure) Firefox isn't as safe as many people think.

I haven't used Windows Defender in ages, it used to be junk.

There are many approaches that can work.

I wouldn't know what antispyware application I could recommend for real-time protection. If you have something good, as Counterspy or the Spy Sweeper used to be, they can complement an AV very nicely. I actually used both Counterspy and the Spy Sweeper, but they are now different programs. :thumbd:

Of course patching is important, that applies to everything, MS-Office, Flash, Acrobat Reader, remove vulnerable software from your computer (like an old shockwave player).

It's probably better not to rely on an AV alone.

It has been said often but it's true: usually, the greatest vulnerability is the person behind the computer.

Also, imaging and backup software and hardware can be very useful, the only sure way to get rid of an infection is by restoring an image.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.