Is this an OverKill? How should I streamline it? Should I get VoodooShield?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by GrammatonCleric, Jun 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

Do I really need to put up sarcasm icon with every post given the nature of the topic and the original post?

2. atomomega

atomomega Registered Member

Haha. I actually feel/hope that the OP is kidding... or at least, being sarcastic...

3. kjdemuth

kjdemuth Registered Member

Sorry Amit. Sometimes text really doesn't convey sarcasm well. Didn't mean to berate you.

4. SweX

SweX Registered Member

You are very smart Sir. ;) :D Let's continue to tell people this whenever we can :thumb:

Personally I have never used or even tried to use 2 AV's at the time, not even with the "companion" ones.
    It just doesn't feel right :thumbd:

5. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

No worries K. Sarcasm is good. :D

6. GrammatonCleric

GrammatonCleric Registered Member

Ha, Ok let me present some of the justification for my stupidity.

1) I love/loved mamutu, but since MAMUTU is now dead and risen as EAM then I am forced to use EAM. I don't really care about the EAM real-time scanner, I just want the Mamutu of EAM and use the dual engine scanner as on-demand only. Once EAM installs, all the hooks are made regardless if RT Scanner is enabled or not. Why do I like MAMUTU? Well I want something to save myself from myself. We all have a dumb moment where we download a piece of code thinking and hoping it's safe. I want a 2nd sanity check that pops up telling me that something wants to do something that it shouldn't.

Online Armor: I like the firewall over Windows firewall. I like the more intricate details about where it connects and I like that fact that I can block nations. So I don't accidentally click on Bank of Americaa .com hosted in Nigeria. Yes OA has HIPS but I have that disabled...then again it does not make a difference since the hooks are there regardless if it's enabled or not. Why am I using the Premium paid version? Well I like the developer and I want them to be funded to continually enhance their software. Otherwise they might attempt to look for "other external" funding. (*cough* COMODO).

SANDBOXIE: It's so far the best software agnostic sandbox tool. The OA SAFERUN doesn't actually sandbox, it just lowers the rights of the program i.e. dropmyrights. Webroot Sandbox is atrocious in terms of performance. Really freaking slow to load and run the app (last time I tested it 8 months ago). Sandboxie, I can define my sandboxes per software, telling what rights to force what folder in etc.

Webroot Secure Anywhere: Honestly it's very light on resources and I like their capability of removing an infection after it happens. That I will like to keep using. (Firewall is disabled)

AntiMalwareBytes: In the past, it was the only thing that once detected a RAT before anything else did. I have it disabled in RealTime and just using the website watcher but then again the hooks are already loaded.

NOD32: Been using it since v 1.0 (Pulsating Zit edition) and it kind of became part of me. however, the HIPS are disabled.

Ok so my solution so far is:

Keep NOD32 with HIPS OFF
    Keep Sandboxie PAID
    Disable antimalware bytes from loading
    Disable EAM real Time Scanner
    Keep OA Firewall Only
    Still on the fence with Webroot.

7. GrammatonCleric

Anyone has a good guide on AppLocker and SRP for Windows 8?
    The only reason I didn't use Applocker is because this is a gaming PC so GuildWars 2, Steam continually downloads updates and I don't want anything to interfere with that.

8. CrusherW9

CrusherW9 Registered Member

Here is a good guide for SRP. Once you take a look at that, Applocker should be relatively easy to figure out. Just don't forget you need to enable the Application Identity service for Applocker. If you look around the "What is your security setup these days" thread, the user "Windows Security" has made numerous posts about Applocker and SRP. Also, this thread has some good info in it. Also, I have used Applocker on my pc and haven't had any issues with Steam and my games.

9. fax

fax Registered Member

Not good to disable the outbound control in WSA (firewall). Its integral part of the protection and needed to lock/kill malicious components, if detected. On top, it is designed not to conflict with other firewalls.

As a general rule: KEEP IT SIMPLE! and master well the few tools you will run. Do not install software and disable half of it because it overlaps with something else. In your specific case, security wise, you just need WSA, a backup/imaging strategy and brain.exe ;)

10. Tyrizian

Tyrizian Registered Member

I know I'm not answering your question, I apologize, but it's nice to see another Guild Wars 2 player at the forums :thumb:

11. GrammatonCleric

Henge of Denravi Represent.

12. Overkill

Overkill Registered Member

I'd love to see a pic of this beast lol

13. FleischmannTV

FleischmannTV Registered Member

But I, being poor, have only my internet security suites; I have spread my suites under your feet; Tread softly because you tread on my suites.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.