Is this an OverKill? How should I streamline it? Should I get VoodooShield?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by GrammatonCleric, Jun 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. luciddream

luciddream Registered Member

Definitely overkill, especially since you're running Windows 8. There is plenty of integrated security in that OS that lessens the need for 3'rd party solutions compared to say XP. And having several components that do the same thing is not just overkill, but can cause conflict. Then instead of having 3 things protecting you you actually have ZERO in the end. And instability too.

What browser do you use? If Chrome, you have an excellent psuedo-sandbox in place to control integrity levels. It even sandboxes individual tabs, which Sandboxie can't do. As much as I love Firefox, I think if I move to Win7/8 I'll be a Chrome user. It's Taylor Made for these new Windows OS's. And if ScriptNo could become as good as NoScript it'd take all the guesswork out of the equation.

The Windows FW since Win7 is much improved. Very granular. There were things about it I liked even more-so than Comodo. I would definitely use the integrated FW if I were you. If you have AppLocker utilize that & SRP. And if you like a dedicated HIPS I recommend Malware Defender.

The Smart Screen filter is applied system wide, not just for IE on Win8. That is a great improvement IMO. And the native imaging is very nice as well, eliminating the need for a 3'rd party solution there.

Personally I would just use VT Hash Check to manually scan new files before moving them from the sandbox to my real (non virtual) system. This eliminates any overhead from a real-time AV, and associated attack surface. But if you want a real-time AV I'd just go with Windows Defender/Security Essentials. And use MBAM Free, VT Hash Check and others for 2'nd opinions. WD/SE runs very light on Win7/8, like it's not even there. Yes it's detection rates are on the low side, but that's what 2'nd opinions before unsandboxing are for.

Use an alternate DNS service like OpenDNS, Comodo Secure DNS, or Nortons.

And if you want to sandbox more than just your browser, and/or prefer Firefox over Chrome, then buy a lifetime license for Sandboxie and use it instead of the above mentioned method.

And yeah, since .NET Framework already comes stock on your OS you may as well put it to good use and use EMET 4. Not sure if .NET FW 4 comes with Win8, or only 3.5. In the event the latter is true then you'll have to install v4 first. And not just the Client version... the entire package. Then when Malwarebytes's new Anti-Exploit tool goes final (formerly ExploitShield) you can compare and pick the one you like best. Or even use both, I hear you can. But not sure I'd do it.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2013
  2. CrusherW9

CrusherW9 Registered Member

I'm stress testing my 4770k at 4.5GHz as I type this :D In my opinion, the voltage is what will get you in terms of longevity. Some processors are better than others, I'm sure you know. One chip that is only able to run at 4.3GHz at 1.45v is going to suffer more than one at 4.6GHz at 1.2v.

3. blasev

blasev Registered Member

there you go, you've answer your own question ;)

4. luciddream

luciddream Registered Member

Okay, after that long winded post I'll get down to brass tax here and just list what I'd use if I were you:

Win8 integrated FW - Block all inbound/no exceptions, filter outbound
    Windows Defender / MSE - can't remember what they call it on Win8
    Chrome - w/integrated "sandbox"/integrity levels - ScriptNo & Adblock Plus
    > Ixquick Search Engine - SSL
    Malware Defender
    EMET 4
    Standard User Account
    AppLocker / SRP
    UAC
    SmartScreen filter - system wide
    TrueCrypt - Don't trust BitLocker, backdoor found if memory serves
    Nortons DNS -or- OpenDNS

2'nd opinion

VT Hash Check
    MBAM Free

Last edited: Jun 28, 2013
  5. justenough

justenough Registered Member

The OP list looks absurd at first glance, because of the amount of duplication and as has already been said, running security that does the same thing can interfere with each other's operations. But since you've been running it for a few months without problems, maybe having an advanced machine makes a difference. Or maybe the way you use your computer isn't risky and your set-up doesn't matter that much. That's how I feel running Sandboxie and being careful in my browsing and scanning files before taking them out of the sandboxed download folder, the rest of the security doesn't have to be super-strong.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2013
  6. nosirrah

nosirrah Malware Fighter

Well, that depends. If you get away from the actual SATA bus and go dedicated raid card you have a LOT of head room. My workstation has 8 840 pros in raid 10 (inside 8 bay areca JBOD) connected via dual 8088 to a 4 gig areca raid card. If you want disc access that allows lightning fast load times for everything and have the $ to burn it is totally worth it. Even going raid 1 on an intel chipset will allow both mirroring to protect your data and distributed reads effectively doubling read speed. You lose a little on write speed but on a samsung SSD you wont even feel it.

7. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Hardware thread fest! :D

8. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

Lol, what's your read speed? :D

9. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

Don't listen to the others. Nothing overkill about your setup.

You still lack some apps which may cause serious infection. You can add Hitman Pro, an imaging software, Trend Micro Internet Security, Bitdefender IS, Avira IS, Avast IS, Vipre and last but certainly not least Zone Alarm Extreme.

And you'd be good to go. Remember no single app is gonna provide 100% security. Layered security approach is the way to go.:)

Best Wishes,
    Amit

10. Antiexecutable (execution control) = Voodoo Shield, HIPS of ESET, OA
    HIPS = OA, EAM, WSA (Eset not full flown HIPS)
    AV = ESET, EAM, WSA
    Sandboxing = SBIE, OA (run safer), WSA (monitored)

For you (someone liking tripple protection) it fits in nicely :eek:

To me it is a overkill :cautious:

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 29, 2013
  11. Tyrizian

Tyrizian Registered Member

This is a good route and definitely some good advice, especially since he's running Windows 8.

12. Tyrizian

Tyrizian Registered Member

You missed Kaspersky IS ;)

13. kjdemuth

kjdemuth Registered Member

Not overkill? OP has 3 real time scanners running. EAM would be enough with OA and sandboxie. Every download gets scanned with HMP and MBAM. If he really wanted to OP could also keep WSA, since it doens't impact much.

14. siketa

siketa Registered Member

@Amit: Hahahaha! You are hilarious! :argh:

15. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

That would be overkill. Don't confuse the OP Ty.

16. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

You think!?.........

17. Taliscicero

Taliscicero Registered Member

I love how people still think you need anything more then one security suite that scores Advanced+ in AV-Comparatives testing. Just look at AVC's latest results, look for Advanced++ and pick one of those and stick with it and don't bother with anything else. If you paranoid add Hitmanpro which scans with 4 engines anyway and does not need to be active all the time.

18. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

Nah! Just giving the OP my half cent(I try to spend economically).

19. Baserk

Baserk Registered Member

Because of the listed software setup, I actually thought you were making stuff up.
    My bad; my apologies.
    But that's a very decent game rig that will certainly even out some blaniks or whatever they're called. (Shoes eh? I get that).
    What sort of screen setup do you have?

About the security software, I'd go for OA paid, SBIE paid, EMET and max. 2 real-time scanners like EAM+MBAM and regarding the OS, stuff like SUA/UAC oc.
    If you really like an extra extra opinion, perhaps use HitmanPro3 as a bootup scanner. [edit] Also keep an eye on MBAE.
    But Kerbal? No CoH2?

Last edited: Jun 29, 2013
  20. kjdemuth

kjdemuth Registered Member

Seriously? 3 RT scanners running? Why suck up resources? EAM is strong enough. You really don't need Eset and MBAM running real time. Like I said if you were concerned with not having enough scanners, the OP could add WSA. Sandboxie (properly configured), EAM and OA are plenty.

21. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

Don't install any more security apps on your computer! Your computer will think you for it! I'm not sure how your computer is even running right now lol More education, and less security apps is the key. You might try running WSA with either EAM, or NOD 32. I wouldn't try running NOD 32, and EAM in my experience since it can became a little heavy on your machine. You will have better luck with WSA running with either EAM, or NOD 32.

If you do decide to use VoodooShield then i'm sure you will find that you will be fine with only one real-time antivirus. I use NOD 32 on my laptop with VoodooShield, and i'm confident I don't have too much to worry about.

Best of luck,
    Mike

22. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

That sort of set-up can be quite indicative of a persons character and personality and with all due respect to the OP but that indicates to me extreme paranoia.

Honestly not all the bad guys are after you.:cool: :D

23. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Or it could be that he is new. When i first joined this forum i used to run 2 real time AV's all the time. Then i realized that it was just a waste of resources and could cause problems. :rolleyes:

24. Taliscicero

Taliscicero Registered Member

I was just the same, age and experience has taught me you can pretty much just get by with a single antivirus and firewall. Its really that simple and honestly nothing else is required.

25. safeguy

safeguy Registered Member

Honestly, way overkill no matter the configuration/exclusion.

Sure, the OP has splendid hardware but that in itself doesn't justify such a setup. Money spent on that machine deserves better treatment. If the OP really has spare licenses, he/she should just choose which ones among them is best suited and use the rest on other machines. If not, give them to others...family members, close friends or something alike. Rather than spending money on adding another security software, I think it would be much nobler to donate it to a good cause.

As always, just an opinion.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.