Is this a wicked dialer i've found?

Discussion in 'ten-forward' started by Denning Howard, Sep 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hello there,

I have found:

C: / Program files / Windows NT / dialer.exe

It isn't detected on Ad-aware or dealt with by Spyware-Blaster but I am very suspicious of it. I tried to delete it and the screen went haywire and wouldn't let me control the cursor. When I sent it to the waste bin it went there but a cloned copy reappeared where it had been as well.

My other computer doesn't even have a Windows NT folder so I'm wondering just what this is and how it got there - and if it would be safe to delete the whole Windows NT folder and its contentso_O

I would very much appreciate any advice

Den

2. Pieter_Arntz

Pieter_Arntz Spyware Veteran

Hi Denning Howard,

That sounds like a very nasty dialer.

Please go to http://www.tomcoyote.org/hjt/, and download 'Hijack This!'.
    Unzip, doubleclick HijackThis.exe, and hit "Scan".

When the scan is finished, the "Scan" button will change into a "Save Log" button.
    Press that, save the log as a .txt file, and copy and paste its contents into your next post.

Most of what it lists will be harmless, so do not fix anything yet.

Regards,

Pieter

3. BlitzenZeus

BlitzenZeus Security Expert

That file is installed with windows, I have it on my system, and I would have it on my system after a clean install.

Its the phone dialer program which is still around from eariler versions of windows, and the reason it came back was windows file protection restored the file. Do not delete the directory either, it holds other programs.

Go ahead, and do your scan. However its a legit file....

4. Den Howard

Den Howard Guest

Not a wicked dialer then?

Thanks to those who have responded to my "Is this a wicked dialer I've found" thread.

I'm not used to this forum pattern so I'm not quite sure where this message will go....?

Den

5. Pieter_Arntz

Pieter_Arntz Spyware Veteran

Hi Den,

As long as you use the reply button they will end up in the thread you are looking at.

Regards,

Pieter

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.