Is this a sign of a malware infection?

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by Fox Mulder, Jul 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fox Mulder

Fox Mulder Registered Member

I've noticed that both my desktop and laptop (windows 7) have a very similar error message under System logs. Here is an example:

The instruction can vary but the referenced memory is always 0x00000014. Both computers do this within about 10 minutes from boot. The laptop is a really fresh install and has nothing on it but COMODO, MBAM, Dropbox, Chrome, Sandboxie and Microsoft Office. I've seen this error associated with Adobe but I have no Adobe products on my system.

This has been going on my desktop since early June, when I installed Windows 7 again.

Could this be a result of SEHOP or DEP? Is there a way to see what is at the instruction or at the referenced memory? Or am I just overreacting?

2. cm1971

cm1971 Registered Member

I would run Malwarebytes and if it comes up clean I would run memtest to rule out faulty ram.

3. Fox Mulder

Malwarebytes comes up clean. The RAM is also fine. The weird part is that both computers have the same error messages, so I'm wondering if it's a common software cause.

4. cm1971

cm1971 Registered Member

It could be. Comodo has a sandbox and you are using Sandboxie so that could be a conflict.

5. Fox Mulder

I did make a mistake in my original post, Sandboxie is not installed on my laptop. I don't think it's MBAM, I uninstalled MBAM on my laptop and it still generated the error message.

6. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

what are you doing on comp when the error occurs? does it occur in safe mode?

7. cm1971

cm1971 Registered Member

What program generates the error? Is it the same program every time or is it different programs?

8. Fox Mulder

It seems to happen on its own within 10 minutes from booting, even without doing anything... on both computers. I haven't tried safe mode, but I will do that soon.

Here's an example of the error: http://i54.tinypic.com/2i71oab.jpg

No program is listed as the source of the problem.

I checked and the only programs that run on both computers on boot are: COMODO Internet Security, MBAM, Dropbox, Virtual CloneDrive.

9. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

10. Fox Mulder

I see this sort of memory error all the time on Google in regards to Adobe Reader, but I don't have Adobe Reader (any version) installed on either PC. It also seems to happen without any user interaction.

11. cm1971

cm1971 Registered Member

It might be worthwhile to update all your drivers and see if that makes any difference.

12. AlexC

AlexC Registered Member

Maybe is something related to DEP? You can try to disable it and see if the problem still occurs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.