Is this a good firewall strategy? (ZA free & SSM)

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by acr1965, Mar 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

I have SSM Pro running at all times, which I really like. And I am running ZoneAlarm free firewall. I have SSM set to protect ZA from termination, from being suspended and from remote code control. If ZA runs in stealth, remembers rules and is a reasonably light program, is protection from termination/suspension/remote code control good enough? Isn't SSM handling all the HIPS needs I have?

I have thought about upgrading to ZA Pro but is this really overkill? I have used Comodo before but did not like the way it forgot rules and ended up just using it without all the application monitoring, disabled all that stuff and just ran SSM Pro instead.

1. Are there any other settings I need to make for ZA in SSM?

2. Is having a fairly light firewall that remembers rules and stealths ports good enough while I have SSM running and protecting the firewall?

3. Would this set-up be similar to the ZA firewalls in their anti-spyware product (Advanced Network and Program firewall & Operating System firewall)? Of course that would not include the extra anti-spyware components, I am concerned with just the firewall for now.

Also, I realize there are lighter firewalls than ZA free, like Jetico. But I like the ZA free and the internet lock feature.

Thanks.

2. simmikie

simmikie Registered Member

seems good enough to me, especially if you posess the skill and Windows inner-workings knowledge necessary to effectively configure SSM. i am curious do you also use AV and/or AS along with ZA & SSM Pro? well my .75 cents is if you can configure SSM to effectively protect your machine, and you are a realtively safe surfer....i like your odds.

Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.