Is this a bug?

Discussion in 'Port Explorer' started by Nitro_ng, Sep 30, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nitro_ng

Nitro_ng Guest

Here you go, I downloaded Nero.

Notice the IE6 ( and DU Meter ) download transfer rate is 61KByte/ sec.

Notice that Port Explorer version 2.00, is showing 831.23 KByte

I have a 512/256 DSL connection

Regards

Nitro_ng

2. Jason_DiamondCS

Jason_DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

Could you please post a screenshot showing this for us.

3. frogfoot

frogfoot Registered Member

Hi Jason,
    I have the same problem, and posted a screen shot in another thread which seems to have gone unnoticed.
    Tom

4. Jason_DiamondCS

Jason_DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

Yes sorry, I actually took a look at that screenshot about 20 minutes ago. :)

I think this problem exists only with Internet Explorer, unless you guys can verify it also happens on other applications. The way IE rebuilds packets I think is confusing the calculator. It's only a minor issue, I'll take a look at it for the next build.

5. frogfoot

Jason,
    I have just found another problem when streaming video over Windows Media Player 10, media player reported 492 Kbit/s, Task manager confirmed that 0.5% of 100Mbit bandwith was used but Port explorer showed no usage, for the whole clip. See the attached screen shot.
    Thanks for your support.
    Tom

Attached Files:

6. Nitro_ng

Nitro_ng Guest

And why is the thread stopping, now where there come interesting news about the probleme...

7. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hi Nitro_ng, Jason has been very busy finalising Process Guard V3 but I am sure your "bump" may get him back to this thread, though not until at least tomorrow Perth time as it is nearly 11pm there now. :)

Cheers. Pilli

8. Gavin - DiamondCS

Gavin - DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

Just FYI, a 492kbit stream doesn't necessarily arrive at your PC at a RATE of 492kbits/second. The stream itself is encoded at that rate, and TRIES to be delivered at the full rate. Did it stream perfectly, or was there pauses in the download due to congestion ? this would cause confusion..

But yes.. thats something easy to test for the next version, thanks :)

9. frogfoot

Hi Gavin, I agree with what you say, but if you look at the Taskmanager networking performance graph you can see that it was utilising 0.6% of the available bandwidth at that point. 0.6% of 100MB/s = 60KBp/s (ish) this was not reflected in Port Explorer. In fact when I stream media I get no throughput showing in PE for any of the processes.
    Thanks
    Tom.

10. Gavin - DiamondCS

Gavin - DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

Yes it looks mostly constant except for one spike of low throughput.
    There must be a problem in the calculations, we'll sort it out when we get to the next version :) thanks again !

11. nameless

nameless Registered Member

I have the same problem. All of my appliations show nothing but "0.00KB/s" at all times, from what I can tell. I run an Apache 2 server, and even when I know people are actively downloading large files from me, at ~40 KB/s, Port Explorer 2.000 shows "0.00KB/s (0.00KB Total)" for Apache.exe.

12. alex_ostapov

alex_ostapov Guest

Yep. I have the same problem with any other application differen from IE. For example I use FlashGet to download files from web. This download manager has its own built-in traffic shaping functionality. When no shaping is set the download speed is ~53,44 KBytes/sec but port explorer shows something ~700 KBytes/sec. As soon as I set some limit (50, 40, 20, 15 kb/sec) in the FlashGet the Port Explorer starts displaying correct statistics. Maybe it can be useful info, I use PPPOE over DSL 512/512 connection.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.