is there one single add-on for firefox that can block/alter browser fingerprint?

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by imdb, Dec 11, 2014.

1. 142395

142395 Guest

May be bit off topic, but I guess it's better to disable "dom.enable_resource_timing" to prevent fingerprinting.
    Is this already mentioned in this forum?

2. trott3r

trott3r Registered Member

3. navigat0r

navigat0r Registered Member

Firefox: In about:config set "media.peerconnection.enabled" to "false". It disables WebRTC.

http://www.whatismyproxy.com/ doesn't show internal ip anymore.

4. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

You don't have to change all parameters, changing one will create new unique 'ID'. It's more important to change them regularly so you can't be easily tracked.

5. trott3r

trott3r Registered Member

I see that is from the privacy POV.
    I was thinking of exploiting a whole in a particular operating system or web browser.

6. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

It might help, but I think that bad guys will try just any exploit they can and won't check info (fingerprint) your browser will give them.

7. noone_particular

noone_particular Registered Member

It can make a difference, especially if you alter or block what's reported by javascript. Some malicious sites use use scripts and other methods to determine what a visitor is using. It then selects the best exploits to try based on what it sees. This can and has been automated on malicious sites. One site I was aware of years back had over 40 different exploits it could try. Misrepresentation might not stop a skilled individual but it can mess up a malicious site that uses automated code.

8. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

As others (or myself) may have noted, compartmentalizing activity among multiple VMs, with independent Internet access, is the best solution. Observers can fingerprint, tag, profile, etc this VM that Mirimir uses, and I couldn't care less. It's all Mirimir.

9. Compu KTed

Compu KTed Registered Member

The approach may be better in not so much reducing unique data, but when you increase
    uniqueness it is not reproducing. Randomizing data so browser fingerprinting might be more
    difficult for trackers to uniquely identify you may be another solution as mentioned.

10. clubhouse1

clubhouse1 Registered Member

11. 142395

142395 Guest

That's the point. If tracker looked into logs, randomized browser can be seemed to be strange and unique, but in most cases fingerprinting will be automated process. In that case randomizing makes sense, for those who not willing to make many personas.
    Interesting, but that addon targets only one fingerprinting technique among many.

12. imdb

imdb Registered Member

after days of reading and research i decided to leave things as they are. seems it's the best approach.

13. mattdocs12345

mattdocs12345 Registered Member

The more you do that the more your fingerprint becomes more "interesting" to our friends.

14. imdb

imdb Registered Member

15. Uitlander

Uitlander Registered Member

16. marzametal

marzametal Registered Member

Dephormation still works... RAS works properly on <=v44... script injections don't work on >=v45, dev is working on a re-write.

Would you happen to know how Tor or TBB manages to execute/activate HTTP sessions?

Awesome add-on... when combined with a DNS Proxy like Acrylic, one can really tighten the noose on what comes in and what leaves...

Since one of the things that breaks in RAS post-v54 is Canvas Protection, this addon has proved invaluable.

Last edited: May 26, 2016
  17. sdmod

sdmod Shadow Defender Expert

I use Secret Agent. You can get it here

The way I use it is, I use Tools menu/options/content to disable javascript in unsandboxed Firefox
    and Tools/Secret Agent /Enable
    Then I make a sandbox for it configured that way.
    That means that when I am browsing sandboxed Firefox...I'm running with those settings during the Sandboxie session.
    If I come to a page that needs javascript enabled or Secret Agent disabled. I just do that within the session and change again when finished
    or alternatively
    when I 'delete contents' in that Sandbox. It defaults to my 'protected' settings for any subsequent session.

I hope that this makes sense.

Patrick

Last edited: May 26, 2016
  18. caspian

caspian Registered Member

I haven't graduated to the point of using multiple VM's, yet, but for all of my newer identities I use the same portable browser and never use it for anything else.

19. TomAZ

TomAZ Registered Member

I used Secret Agent a while back and it worked really well. But you have to be very careful and aware of the site you're accessing. It can really screw up your ability to log into certain sites -- particularly some financial and banking sites, etc.

20. marzametal

marzametal Registered Member

The same applies to any addon that mucks around with fingerprint vectors, whether it is User Agent Switcher, Random Agent Spoofer or Secret Agent, and even AdGuard.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.