Is there anything (life) after death?

Discussion in 'ten-forward' started by Jimbob1989, Nov 18, 2004.

?

Is there anything (life) after death?

1. Yes

16 vote(s)
    84.2%
  2. No

3 vote(s)
    15.8%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slammer_JvA

slammer_JvA Registered Member

Below sea-level. Safe and sound behind our dikes:
    Don't be sorry, Cochise!
    Everyone's entitled to share his views and opinions -especially among friends :)
    And as far as mine is asked.... I happen to see it more or less like you:
    Ashes to ashes, dust to dust.
    But then again; how would I know? Who would anyway? Indeed a very interesting question of philosophy.
    You know what I think? Keeping the question alive, and try not to bother -or argue!- to much about THE answer...
    To me, the journey is far more important(rewarding, interesting etc etc) than the destination...

Even if you keep the possibility in mind that there might be something after this life (some call it reïncarnation or whatever)...wouldn't it be nice to make the best out of this life you have at present -no matter what religious or non-religious background you're coming from- it's all you've got at this moment and the one thing you're certain of. (o_O )
    Here's a nice discussion topic:
    If it were to be that important to know whether or what there was life after death...................................................................... then why isn't this given to us as a certainty by the eternity/Gods/holyness or whatever you like to believe in........why does mankind have to hold on to a belief?
    Think about it. Some may find answer and comfort in certainty, some in the existence of the question itself.
    Whatever suits you. As long as there will be respect among each other and each others views, beliefs and opinions I think we're doing just fine.
    To me, the fact that no-one can actually tell me for sure, makes the question a surplus one... just my p.o.

Try to be a good person is what matters - if not for others, at least for yourself.

peace,

slammer

P.S. So, the above explains why I didn't vote: a simple choiche between yes or no wont do for me....:doubt: And for that matter: it's my hope this poll will end up in a tie. :) :) ;)

Last edited: Nov 18, 2004
  2. Cochise

Cochise A missed friend

Haa!..Ha!....Slammer.....I knew I could rely on you to come up with the answer in a 'Nutshell'.....do unto others as you would be done by and by that Phylosophy.....fear no man or Death himself, for you have done all that is required for your inner peace.......

:D :D (Getting a bit deep now eh?).. :D :D...Good here isn't it?...

Cochise, :cool:

3. Cochise

Cochise A missed friend

Hey!.....Jimbobber.....It's your Thread....do you have an opinion on the subject?......or do you find it too scary....... :D :D

Cochise, :cool:

4. slammer_JvA

No abyss so deep or one can climb out of :)

And YES, I love it here!

:)
    cheers mate,
    slam

5. solarpowered candle

solarpowered candle Registered Member

this is a classic of spiritualism written around the middle of last century . It is a very grounded account of life from here to there ( the unseen realms) and all that transpires . A book worth coming in touch with
    [I]~snipped out dead link~--Ron[/I]

Edit: I will be glad to put a working link in its place. Ron

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 26, 2004
  6. slammer_JvA

Was waiting for you to reply on this one, thanks spc :)

7. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Yes....in my heart there is....and even tho I only have 686,981,493 Seconds left to live according to the Death Clock....I'll let ya know when I get there in spirit if the Cubs are going to win the World Series :cool:

8. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

Well, we'll all find out one way or the other, won't we... ;)

snowbound

9. Galcoolest

Galcoolest Registered Member

I'm going to take a huge risk here- perhaps alienate some or most of you either with my ideas or just the longwindedness with which they are expressed- but coincidentally I just wrote this to someone yesterday, and can't muster the energy to edit it further without having it lose its integrity or something. If some moderator says, yikes! that's over the top for around here and wants to 86 it, fine by me. But in reading what is being discussed in this thread, it does reflect what this one human believes and feels and hopes she knows from her journeys....here goes.

I cherish and maintain my spiritual core, my very "self" within the framework of having been legally dead, not once, but twice- no heart rate, respiration, brain waves- all gone- freed of my body.... and thus fleetingly made privy to the unexplainable relief of the "truth", what I call "The Is" , like as is sought to be described by far out physicists in a "unified theory", the inability to reach which so frustrated Einstein, and yet most scientists recognize 'must be underlying the cosmos".

I've experienced the death deal, I guess you call it, and it wasn't a tunnel with all my dead relatives beckoning me, etc. It was light, for sure, but not light as we know it. It's impossible to describe because it's a multidimensional "everything alight" envelopment, and yes, it's fabulous from what I got to feel, but who knows if your soul sort of disperses completely as you go onward? It feels like it is breaking up, that you're melting , but it isn't scary or unwelcome- it's just a feeling of blending with the 'is" , sorry for that lame word, and I was back here both times before going far enough to say much except what I can say below.

Was that purely neurological stuff as my body expired? I dunno, I don't think so to tell you the truth. Becuase of the profound pyschic and spiritual transformation that "just happens" as a result- far from a gratefulness you're alive, phew!, but a gut awareness you never conciously ponder but that just "is" about the "truth" or whatever. Not once but twice I have felt this absolutely beyond description "transformation in consciousness" deep on your soul level that I am not prepared to explain or proselytize about, just document as being real, and fundamental, and 110% beyond any descriptors I can muster.

The passage back to this realm from the transcendence I started to feel twice has enabled (or required ), I believe, my "spirit child" to recognize a deep need for submission to the "truth" of what "is" , what I was absorbed in, perhaps to help others become more at peace with death, or maybe to get to achieve higher states of physical and spiritual acuity before moving on again. ? Not sure.

I confess I cannot truly, wholly admire or thoroughly respect anyone who still really, deeply buys into any organized religion of any kind and fails to see that the divine, the true, the "is" that is God, for lack of a better word,so transcends the pitiable storytelling and ritual of human religions, and exceeds in such a profoundly infinite degree any attempted perception of the unknowns in the universe that mere humans could ever dream up--well, they're not getting it in my view.
    Religious ritual, dogma and liturgy, etc. that'strying to tell others based on myth and storytelling what goes on after death is to me unbelievably arrogant and idiotic and destructive for those who actually buy into such anachronistic foolishness..

There have been enlightened ones- for sure- for instance, ask Jesus what he thought and he would have said the same thing- he abhorred the division of men based on competing religious (or any) man-made criteria, and the message was unity, God is bigger than that stuff fellows-- get with the big picture, strive for the basic "truths"... the biggest one, which EVERY RELIGION EVER KNOWN STRESSES----Do Unto Others....

To me, a naturalistic, wholistic appreciation of the universe itself , a deep fusion of the soul with the natural world - a non-rational or intellectual but simply devotional, respectful humbling of the self, and recognition of and submission to the glories and realities of an absolutely unknowable "Is" (not the "was" or "may have been" or "should bes")--- this is the path to spiritual ascendance.

I believe from my witnessing of some heavy stuff, that you must have an understanding that you should seek to be genuinely at ease with your inevitable physical decay as you age and then expire, attain an acceptance and reverence for the physical laws of everything as much as maintaining awe for the spiritual mysteries---both basic mysteries that shall not ever be revealed or knowable or ever even sort of guessed at correctly in this life, but that one must fully accept as impenetrable truths unreachable by man.. and simply be internalized without analysis or fear, just welcomed as the "is". Move along to hone your spirit here and now.. Do good by yourself and others, that's what I believe is so key... that this dualism does exist- light/dark, right/wrong, good/bad, etc.- on some way deep level somehow.

I wholly awe the essence of the divine - because I'm enveloped with a serene appreciation that I can never in this life know the nature of the divine- that spiritual growth is found in seeking at all times a fundamental melting of one's being, one's soul, with all of that not within one's control or comprehension. The Tao says it quite purely, and Buddhists stress it, Jesus preached it, and so too Native Americans (as examples) tend to illucidate the same- knowing that you cannot know is the first step to genuine knowledge, moving towards the truth or "is". Humility is vital to the spirit. As is compassion and openmindedness, on and on --we all know the rap.

Grave illness, injury, near death self-evaluation, and then experiencing return from the turnover process itself, that sure teaches one something about the supreme folly of being cruel or vicious, to anyone, ever. Or thinking your sh*t don't stink just as much as everyone else's.

Wisdom is what we generally only afford our elders and those amongst us who have suffered or sincerely reached to help the suffering. They're the ones who have seen pieces of the "meaning of life" - who know what it means, even if only on an unconscious level, to have geared up to " meet your maker".

And those who have wisdom surely realize evil, which I personally definitely recognize as VERY real, and shun as the anti-life force, is seductive and temporally gratifying in its results sometimes, and very, very strong ...but leading nowhere but towards the blackhole. I believe wise people feel and appreciate the proverbial light intuitively, and all that goes with staying in its warmth, like genuinely striving for humility and generosity and courage. And shunning, battling evil.

All religions agree on the goal of striving to be a "good person" ALL of THEM. To me, what matters is living daily with THE GOAL of being truly ready at any time to "meet that maker"-- GUILT AND SHAME FREE- CLEAN OF SPIRIT- and fearlessly attuned to the awesome unknowability of the "is". To hope and seek to be fundamentally able to feel relief and thus no fear in your very soul that whatever goes down, you strove for the light, and though not perfect, you battled "evil" . I feel in my core that then however it plays out, the truth of the 'is" will be just fine, if you're moving on at peace with yourself and your actions in this life. The nature of the "afterlife", no matter what reality may be, is irrelevent if you can achieve that serenity and enlightened repose.

10. dog

dog Guest

Unfortunately, Mankinds insecurities does not allow for not somehow believing in something ... ~after~ ... much like "our" faith in Religion ... But how really knows what happens, anything is possible. ;)

Fun enough we don't really understand our own existence ... ie. Where are we really? ... It's Funny when you think about ... everything has its place except the universe ... to expand, A chair sits in a room, balenced by four legs and is held in place by gravity, the room is within the building, the building within the city, the city within a country, the country on a continent ... on Earth ... within the Milky Way ... within the Universe ... o_O Where are we?

How can the universe be it's own entity, go on for eternity ... but exist no where? ... Beyond the reaches of this vast space exists absolutely ~NOTHING~

LOL WE are NOT alone!!! :D (Queue Twilight Zone Music) ...

I guess want to know Where we are? & What we are?

As for life after death ... I believe we do nothing more the decompose, feeding back Mother Earth, completing the cycle ;)

That's my Ten Cents ~Deep Thoughts~ Sorry my Eye's are Red :D

:ninja: *puppy* :ninja:

11. slammer_JvA

ROFL Bubba, now there's a nice approach. Love that site (even though I just learned I can gain 7 full years by quiting smoking...:doubt: ...another question raised: Do I desire that? :D
    975.174.159 seconds left to think it over...tick~tick~tick...

(hm,.... does anyone have a light for me?)

hahaha

cheers,
    slam

12. nadirah

nadirah Registered Member

It's either you go to heaven or hell after you die.

13. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

THAT's exactly what the organized religions of the world want you to think, or else they have no control over you!

All the great “religious” masters, that is, the great ones that the religions formed after (probably not their wish) all spoke about the same thing but in different ways: The Truth lies within; that is the direction that they pointed “within”. Now if we could only get past these damn egos that block the way inside (Satan?), those egos that think they are so important and absolutely right about everything (What!? me be wrong about anything, religion, anti-virus...) :doubt:

Acadia

14. slammer_JvA

The contrary of alienation, Galcoolest, rest assured.
    Though never been in a simular kind of situation like you, I feel I can relate or at least try to imagine.

Thank you so much for sharing your enlighting and may I say, very eloquent reply.

regards,
    slam

15. Q Section

Q Section Registered Member

Headquarters - London & Field Offices -Worldwide
    It is not where one goes that is so important rather with whom one shall be.

16. Q Section

Q Section Registered Member

Headquarters - London & Field Offices -Worldwide
    It is not about whether one is "religious" or not.

17. slammer_JvA

Now thát, dear Acadia, would be (imho) a very hasty and sad decision!
    Please, allow (some) threads to evolve, because I am sure this is an interesting enough subject with many readers.
    Majority of our members/readers are wise enough not to feed the possible flaming-danger of a topic like this.
    (And by the way; there lies a great responsibility on the part of the mods too...hint....)

Have some faith, please...that's what's life's all about (not specific religious ment, but hey, we shouldn't run for the hills every time the words politics, religion etc are only mentioned!)

regards,
    slam

18. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

On second thought, I agree, post edited. :)

Acadia

19. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Sometimes I think we're alone. Sometimes I think we're not. In either case, the thought is staggering.
    R. Buckminster Fuller

20. slammer_JvA

~~~ :) ~~~

21. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Very true....and I appreciate how ya'll have been able to continue this thread without bringing religion into the discussion. :ninja:

22. Galcoolest

Galcoolest Registered Member

(well I am guilty of mentioning that forbidden subject, in a swipe dismissing them all summarily as outdated and silly, so we're all lucky I guess, that the night is yet silent, the winds yet calm....)

23. Mr.Blaze

Mr.Blaze The Newbie Welcome Wagon

MEDIUMS YUCK I WANT TO BURN THE WHOLE LOT OF THEM LOL

i dont think theres any real ones i do belive there are a few empathic people who can get an imprestion from you and remote linking and remote viwers but one that can actualy talk to dead no way

bUT MEDIUMS DO PLAY ONE VALIT ROLL EVEN IF I BELIVE THERE FAKE THEY OFFER A CHANCE TO SAY GOOD BY AND THAT FEELING THAT THINGS ARE SETTLED

they take peoples money for peace of mind

i think thats respectable

it better then paying a shrink lol

24. Jimbob1989

Jimbob1989 Registered Member

My mother once invited some sort of medium around to the house to talke to her and some of her friends.

The medium was just a normal woman but I questioned how she could get so much right. Personaly I dont believe it is possible.

Jimbob

25. maeve

maeve Registered Member

I think about this a lot - everyone has posted some really interesting ideas, for both sides. I voted yes, but my convictions change with the weather. Since energy cannot be created or destroyed only changed in form, then there has to be something....like the "great recycling project". It's so bleak to face that we will all meet the Great Snuff-Out - If some part of our awareness goes on to something else, I don't think it can possibly meet any of our expectations. And, I think all sentient life forms get the same deal, whatever it is. If the quality of one's afterlife (assuming for a second there is one) is dependent on the individual's purity or innocence, then there's no reason why my cat shouldn't have some fun in the next. As long as she doesn't die on the day she pees on the carpet...... :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.