Is there any say to block embedded DNS out connections from webpages?

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by jrx10, Apr 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jrx10

jrx10 Registered Member

On Sunday I usually visit a site called SalesCircular.com as a quick preview to what was on sale in the local area technology stores. I even DCed the Sunday newspaper and was viewing the Sunday ads on-line. It was a real nice site with with not much noise and normally only one connection.
    I'm guessing that Google or one of the tracking services purchased this site in the last week or two, because when I visited that site today, it not only had installed the Google search toolbar *&^%$$%^*& (If I want to search for something on a search engine, I don't need an embedded toolbar in a web page to find a search engine) but it also had DNS connections to tracking services flying out all over the place. I don't really want profiling sites nosing in to what I may or may not consider purchasing or am interested in purchasing, or interested in, in the 1st place. I'm reordering the newspaper subscription tomorrow, and going back to print. I can block these IP ranges with my firewall, but that's a PIA and takes up resources. Is there any way with FX (or an add-on), or a FW network rule that I can globally block embedded outbound webpage dns connections and somehow toggle this function on/off? Thx.
    Sorry. Sitting here watching the Masters and lost 30 minutes of the Golf Tourney, being P**&ed off at this website.​

2. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

Use a host file (?)

3. Tech Manager

Tech Manager Registered Member

I agree with you. Just add a few lines in your host file and redirect those links...problem solved.

...though some websites will degrade if you don't allow certain items to resolve as designed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.