Is there any help for my situation? (long)

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by hdulcimers, Aug 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hdulcimers

hdulcimers Registered Member

On June 9th I purchased Acronis True Image 8.0 I have been running it on my wonderful new Vaio laptop which I purchased about the same time. It was a replacement computer and I wanted to be sure I had a back-up of everything. Hence the purchase of Acronis.

I had Acronis set up so that it automatically created an image of my hard
    drive each day. But this past week I noticed that the creation procedure
    was not completing and that I had only "errors" in the "log".

Because I wanted to be safe, today I decided to uninstall and recreate the whole Acronis drive. I first went to the control panel and unloaded the program fully. (Now I know I should have "repaired" the program, but I figured I was better with a fresh start.)

After I uninstalled it, I reloaded it into my computer and re-entered the serial number so I could start out fresh.

I felt fairly confident as I started the process for creating an
    image of my whole hard drive. The computer rebooted and the blue
    screens showed the progress. The ### s were showing up but I knew it
    would take awhile especially since I'd asked it to maximize the
    compression, so I went about my work.

When I returned I found that the procedure had stopped part-way
    through the process. It had stopped completely - 15 minutes later, still no action at all. There was an indicator that it was not able to write a file. (I don't recall any further details nor do I remember the name of the file or if it even said.) It was obviously stalled. Nothing was progressing.

Eventually I decided to reboot my computer.

Now Windows XP won't start and it can't complete the Acronis partition creation.

If I try to start windows, windows won't load. After trying various options it finally came up with an error that said there is no system file.

What I really want to do now is to get rid of Acronis and just put my
    computer back the way it was before I ran Acronis. Is there any way I do that? I have the start-up disk that I created back in June when I originally loaded Acronis, but it doesn't seem to do any good. It just takes me into my partially created program but doesn't have the tools/files/partitions to work with.

I was far better off with the Windows recovery program, but it appears
    that Acronis disabled that.

I've emailed Acronis, but their help was to send me to a report program which then analyzed the other computer I was using to email them (which obviously was of NO help to me since it isn't even the right computer.) Then I tried the second option in the report program, to create a self booting reporting disk, but it required an A drive which my Vaio doesn't have.

I'm desperate. Short of reinstalling everything on my computer and starting with the factory set-up (which if I'm going to do it I want to start pronto and quit wasting time), is there any solution? I really MUST have a functioning computer in a couple of weeks because I'm running a festival and will be using it a great deal.

I guess what gives me hope that the data is there is that when I get into the Acronis recovery program I can see my directories. Is there any way I can access them and copy them over to CDs or other data before I do a totally system reinstall? I really need that data because when it's gone, I'm going to be lost and so will my on-line business.

Acronis hasn't been of any help at all - except to send me their routine auto response email messages. Is there any way you can talk to a human?

Sharon Skaryd

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello hdulcimers,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are really sorry for your inconvenience. We will do our best in order to resolve the problem under consideration as soon as possible.

Please boot your laptop from Windows XP Installation CD and run "fixmbr" command in Recovery Console.

If that does not help then please boot your laptop from Windows XP installation CD once more and try to perform Windows XP Repair Installation.

If the problem still persists then please let me know the following details:

- What exactly do you mean when saying that "it can't complete the Acronis partition
    creation"?

- Do you have any images made before the system crash occured?

- Tell me your Acronis request # which was sent to you in autoreply to your letter.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

3. hdulcimers

Alexey, I tried your suggestion of running "fixmbr" but it didn't do any good. In fact everytime I try something, it seems I get further from recovery. Now I'm finding it harder and harder to bring up even Safe Mode Windows. It's discouraging. I can't get as far in as I could when it first happened.

When "fixmbr" didn't work I tried rebooting from Windows XP install CD, as you'd suggested, but I can't get anywhere with Windows XP repair. It just takes me into the windows directory and says:
    "Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt \windows\system32\config\system"

You asked I mean by "it can't complete the Acronis partition creation?"

Well, this whole problem startexd with I was trying to re-install Acronis from scratch) after I'd removed it using the windows Control Panel removal process. The re-install stopped. That's what I'm referring to. Now when I try to restart the computer, the F-11 advisory takes me into the Acronis program, but it doesn't have the full partition created. It won't let me "resume" and there isn't a full copy created. When I try to access the drives, it tells me it can't use them.
    (I forget the exact verbage.) It's like there wasn't enough completed to allow it to restore, but it's too far to go back.

After I rebooted the last time from Windows XP install CD I ran map.exe. It shows the following
    ? NTPS 5091MB \Device\Harddisk0\Partition1
    C: NTPS 45582MB \Device\Harddisk0\Partition2
    E: Fat32 25604MB \Device\Harddisk0\Partition3
    D: \Device\CDRom0

Don't know if it helps to know that.

And yes, I did create the bootable Acronis start-up CD back in June which I have but that just takes me into the same place that I can get to using F-11. Doesn't let me restore anything.

You also asked for the number assigned when I submitted my email information to support@acronis.com

Here's the subject line: Re: [Acronis #323506] I need help desperately!!

I hope you can help me, but I have a feeling it's a lots cause and I'm really afraid I will need to start resetting my computer up from scratch. If so, I need to start immediately because the restoration of my system is mandatory within the next few days and I'll have a lot of programs to re-enter, etc. I sure hope it doesn't come to that.

Part of my business records will be next to impossible to recover!

What a mess, and to think I was really feeling pleased and blessed because my new computer was working so well!!! Not wanting to get over-confident, I tried to be sure I'd have Acronis in case of a problem, and instead it looks like Acronis trashed my hard drive!

Sharon Skaryd
    owner of dulcimers.com and dulcimers.biz

4. Hereshope

Hereshope Guest

My son in law had a similar problem on the week end. He wasn't installing Acronis though.

Have a look at http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_sys32.htm and try to follow the instructions.
    He sucessfully got back to normal in about 10mins.

Good luck

Oops maybe you have limited access so here is the info

Cannot Start Windows XP if the System or Software Hive Is Missing or Damaged (Q303012)

SYMPTOMS:

When you try to start or restart your Windows XP-based computer, you may receive one of the following error messages:
    Windows XP could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM
    Windows XP could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SOFTWARE

Stop: c0000218 {Registry File Failure} The registry cannot load the hive (file): \SystemRoot\System32\Config\SOFTWARE or its log or alternate

CAUSE
    This issue can occur if the System or Software hive for the Windows XP installation is missing or damaged.

RESOLUTION:

To resolve this issue, use one of the following methods.

Use the Recovery Console Tool:

To restore a damaged registry hive, use the Recovery Console to restore the backup copy of the hive from the Repair folder. The Repair folder contains a copy of the system's registry hives that were created after the first successful startup of Windows XP.

WARNING : Although data should not be affected by the following procedure, you may need to restore changes you previously made to programs or system settings since the first time you successfully started Windows XP.

To replace the damaged registry hive and restore the backup copy of the hive from the Repair folder: Start your computer to the Recovery Console.

Determine if the file that is mentioned in the "Symptoms" section of this article is present, and if it is, rename it:

In Recovery Console, change to the c:\Windows folder.

Type cd system32\config , and then press ENTER.

Type dir system , and then press ENTER.

If you cannot run the preceding command successfully (because the file is missing), skip to step 3. If you can run the preceding command successfully, type ren system system.bak , and then press ENTER.

NOTE : If the message that you received referred to the software file, replace "system" with "software" in the preceding command. For example, you would type ren software software.bak (instead of ren system system.bak ), and then press ENTER.

Type copy c:\windows\repair\system , and then press ENTER.

NOTE : If the message that you received referred to the software file, replace "system" with "software" in the preceding command. For example, you would type copy c:\windows\repair\software (instead of copy c:\windows\repair\system ), and then press ENTER.

You should receive a "One file copied" informational message. For additional information about how to use Recovery Console during startup, click the article number below to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
    Q307654 HOW TO: Install and Use the Recovery Console for Windows XP

IMPORTANT : If you encounter problems when you run the preceding commands, you may need to use the Change Directory command ( cd ) one folder at a time before you run the preceding commands. For example, type cd system32 , press ENTER, type cd config , and then press ENTER.

Type exit , and then press ENTER to quit Recovery Console and restart the computer.

You Cannot Start from the Windows XP CD-ROM or Use Recovery Console
    If you cannot start from the Windows XP CD-ROM or use Recovery Console and you are using the FAT file system (not the NTFS file system):
    Use a startup disk from one of the following operating systems to start your computer to a command prompt:

Microsoft Windows Millennium Edition (Me)

Microsoft Windows 98

Microsoft Windows 95

At the command prompt, type c:\windows .

Follow the steps in the "Use the Recovery Console Tool" section of this article, beginning with step 2b (type cd sytem32\config , and then press ENTER).

IMPORTANT : After you complete the steps in the "Use the Recovery Console Tool" section of this article, remove the startup disk, and then restart the computer.

Use System Restore to Revert to the Most-Recent Restore Point
    You may want to use System Restore to revert to the most-recent restore point if you have replaced the specific registry hive, but the issue has not been resolved.

For additional information about how to use System Restore to revert to the most-recent restore point, click the article number below to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

Q307545 How to Recover from a Corrupted Registry
    Run a Repair Installation of Windows XP

You may need to run a repair installation. For additional information about how to do so, click the article number below to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base: Q312369 You May Lose Data or Program Settings After Reinstalling, Repairing, or Upgrading Windows XP

MORE INFORMATION
    By default, the administrative password for Windows XP Home Edition is blank.

For additional information about how to use Recovery Console, click the article numbers below to view the articles in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

Q307654 HOW TO: Access the Recovery Console During Startup
    Q240831 How to Copy Files from Recovery Console to Removable Media
    Q229716 Description of the Windows Recovery Console

5. xpcomputers

xpcomputers Registered Member

Before you try any more repair techniques, I would advise that you take a complete backup of your C drive in it's current state, using the Acronis TrueImage Bootable CD. You will need to take the image to an external drive. Do you have/Can you borrow, a USB2/Firewire hard disk?

This will mean that you can play on the disk safely, without making it worse because you will then be able to get back to this point again if the restore goes belly-up!

It will also give you the security that if it really does get to the point that you need to re-install, you should be able to explore the image created from TrueImage in Windows and save all your files.

It is a shame that you hadn't said that you could boot into Safe Mode ok, as it would appear that what Acronis Support have told you has broken even that...

I would encourage everyone with a problem like this, to always take a TrueImage backup before they start playing with the broken windows install. That way, if what they do makes it worse, they can always recover the image and try again, without having lost it all. Maybe Acronis Support should start saying the same, as their TrueImage customers obvioulsy have the software to do it!!!

Hope this helps.

Mike

6. hdulcimers

Mike,

I think I mislead you. I could never get any of the windows modes to work - safe or otherwise.. Earlier I was able to get the screen to come up that allows you to select "safe mode" etc. but I could never get any of the modes to work. The screen did come up with the selections.

What I meant when I said I keep getting further from feeling that I can solve this is that now I can't even get it to bring up that screen that gives me those options. It seems like I'm more lost than before.

The restore console may be my fix. I have worked with the console before and know how to find and replace the files necessary from the back-up copies which Windows creates. But I have a feeling Acronis may have eliminated those "restore points" which can be the key to such a recovery.

I am hoping that the Acronis wizard may be able to give me some pointers.

And no, I don't have access to another drive. To send these emails, I'm currently using an old desktop that has email access, runs Windows ME and is totally non-compatible with my Vaio laptop. I have a jump drive but the laptop can't "see it" any longer -- doesn't recognize that it's there.

I have a knowledgeable friend who emailed me and said it's possible that the Acronis build somehow has my computer looking at the wrong partition. How can I switch partitions? Or is that even a remote possibility? Sure wish I had someone to turn to but I am going to have to do this myself or take it to the "Geek Squad" at Best Buy where I bought the computer. I have a feeling, since this is a program problem caused by Acronis, they'll just do a factory reinstall and send me home.

Any other solutions, Anyone??

Sharon Skaryd

7. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Sharon,

Could you please let me know where exactly the normal boot process stops currently? When you turn the computer on you will see some messages generated by BIOS (RAM amount, disk drives, etc.). What do you see after that?

The repair installation procedure doesn't require you to boot into Windows Recovery Console. The details of how to do that are described in Microsoft Knowledge Base.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

8. hdulcimers

I finally gave up. I really had to decide what to do and sitting around looking at a blank screen drove me crazy. Nothing seemed to help. So I finally went ahead and reinstalled everything on my hard drive using the recovery disks which I got when from Sony when I bought my computer a month ago. Thankfully I have a great deal of material on CDs so I can reinstall them.

But here's the new wrinkle... I now I find that almost half of my hard drive isn't available to me. I used Computer Management which is on Control Panel to see all the partitions.

I can see that there's a partition which was created by Acronis which has about 35 gig in it. I am sure my system files are all in the active NTFS partition. The three partitions are as follows: two NTFS -- one about 5 gig and the other about 45 gig and the the third partition which is the Acronis partition which is a FAT32 file system with about 35 gig.

What can I do to reclaim that Acronis partition? Will it matter that it's a FAT32 file system?

Sharon Skaryd

9. DS-MP

DS-MP Guest

Sounds like a pickle...

The Acronis Secure Zone is the fat32. You should be able to safely delete the partition and re-add that space to one of the other partitions.

Assuming your running XP-Professional

You do this from
    Start\Control Panel\Adminitrative Tools\Computer Management
    select Disk Management
    The right side of the window will be split.
    Select the partition you want to remove(In this case the fat32)
    right click it and select Delete Partition
    Once the partition is deleted in the same window bottom 1/2 (shows Disk 1 2 3 whatever) the deleted partition will be listed as free space.
    Select the free space and add it to one of the other 2 partitions.

Hope this helps

If you dont do this type stuff alot it might take some poking to get it added but generally its straight forward.

10. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

The Secure Zone and its default option to also activate the Startup Recovery Manager should come with an Acronis HEALTH WARNING!! I've lost count of the number of problems posted to this Forum that were caused by these two, seemingly innocuous, little devils.

Regards

11. hdulcimers

PLEASE HELP!! I'm really still needing help.

Three days ago, when I posted my problem, it seemed like maybe the support folks at Acronis might be willing to help me, but I haven't heard from anyone for some time.

In answer to the DS-MP's suggestions:

I don't have Windows XP Pro. I have Windows XP Home. I have found that I can use either Partition Magic or possibly Control Panel | Administrative Tools | Computer Management | Disk Management... to get rid of the unwanted partition. But I understand there's possibly a problem with my boot.ini file if I do that. Apparently if you delete a partition, you can have problems getting back into your C: drive because the order of the partitions has changed. I am totally uneducated in this sort thing and I'm afraid to try it.

What if I go back and install Acronis. Would I then be able to get rid of the partition without the boot.ini problem?

I have attached a jpg file that shows what my Acronis partition looks like. Any hope?

Sharon Skaryd

Attached Files:

12. DS-MP

DS-MP Guest

Since the partition exists after the C drive. You should have no issues with
    removing the partition. The boot.ini file would only be in question if the partition existed before the C drive

If you look at the c:\boot.ini you will see lines that reads similar to
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    [boot loader]
    timeout=30
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional" /fastdetect

---------------------------------------------------------------------
    The partition(#) controls the boot location.
    In the case above this is a dual boot system with the 1st partition being windows2000 boot and the 2nd partition being an XP boot. The boot loader tells it to default to and boot the XP partition if nothing is selected after 30seconds.

13. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello Sharon,

In order to remove the SZ and recover the unallocated space please read this previous thread titled <HOW IS IT DONE: ACRONIS 8.0?>, in particular the instructions I provided in Posts #10 and #40.

Regards

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.