is there any compelling reason to have sp2?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by HandsOff, Sep 4, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HandsOff

HandsOff Registered Member

I apollogize in advance if this has been asked and answered 1000 times. after reading a few dozen posts all i have encountered are issues with delivery or compatability or installation.

i thought by now i would know why i would want to install xp sp2, but frankly, i don't. I heard some of the default settings for firewall and other simple settings are more secure, but frankly, xp settings have been set by me already, so that improvement means nothing to me.

I haven't heard anything indicating that it is faster, more efficient, or more secure. (considering that i, like just about everyone i know, already has third party applications for everything from zipping, and defragging, to disk writing, and music and video, to firewalls and privacy....)

I'm sure there must be something that makes sp2 a big deal...i just don't know what it is. If someone isn't too annoyed by the question to provide an answer, please do.

- HandsOff

2. chew

chew Registered Member

Apart from security issues that SP2 supposed to cover ... errmm ... I guess if you're happy with your current speed / security than I guess that's all you need really.

Basically, you are only just using M$ OS that's all ... the rest you can use 3rd party softwares and beef the rest up yourself. e.g. Email client, Browser, AV, Firewall etc., plenty around really. Most people just use M$ OS and the rest they just customise to their needs. (well me at least)

As for security there are plenty of very good 3rd party softwares around that are far far better than M$ and can protect your OS.

So for me ... hmmm ... nope! I am staying at where I am now. I just keep beefing up my security that's all and my pc speed remain the same and the resource has not been affected much at all ... if you do your research on what you install. Just try not to install unnecessary softwares. Strip them down to bare minimum if you can. Easy to manage too that way.

hmmm ... I always wonder why there isn't a company that produce say a very good OS that allow everyone to customise to their needs ... an OS that will accept Mac, Linux and M$ software ... (sorry I might be talking hot air here so excuse my very very low knowledge on OS etc.,) Or is there one already? You know you specify your needs ...

Ok ok ... I don't know about OS ... I will just shut up talking hot air now.

Cheers

Chew

3. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

For experienced users that use security apps, etc, there is probably no compelling reason to upgrade. I understand there are a lot of under the hood changes that may help prevent or at least make it harder for bad things to happen.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/topten.mspx

4. chew

chew Registered Member

errmm ...correct me if I am wrong. I think they are all already being covered by 3rd party softwares :).

Don't really know about point no.10. - go wireless? I guess if you use M$ that too might be a security breach.

Anyway, to cut long story short. All you want is to use M$ OS to make your PC works that's all. Then basically, you just add 3rd party softwares on top.

So if you don't use IE, OE and MSN ... you've already cut down 6 out of 10 of the problems on that list of 10. Simply by switching Browser an email will do for a start ... and MSN to something else.

Firewall ... errmm ... plenty reputable ones about to choose from.

:)

5. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

6. nick s

nick s Registered Member

Not an expert on the subject, but this may be one reason to go with SP2 (even if you only can use software-based Data Execution Protection):

Memory Protection Technologies.

Nick

7. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

I installed SP2 last night and uninstalled it this afternoon. SP2 prevents one of my favorite programs from working properly, AdShield. I value AdShield more than I do all of SP2. Hopefully either MS or the AdShield people will make things compatible. :doubt:

Acadia

8. chew

chew Registered Member

Nick s

Just read the Memory Protection Technology ... errmm ... not that I understand everything they said ... but surely this is the bread & butter of the AV companies & surely they will have something to cover for this?

Interesting ...

:)

9. nick s

nick s Registered Member

Similar problem happened for me between SP2 and Firetrust's Benign. Seems the new tcpip.sys defines localhost as only 127.0.0.1, which breaks Benign. A patched tcpip.sys is privately available from Microsoft support if requested.

Nick

10. Ashield

Ashield Guest

Which version of Adshield? I have no problems with Adshield 2. Prexv causes problems though.

11. nick s

nick s Registered Member

Info here: AdShield Crippled by XP SP2 .

Nick

12. HandsOff

HandsOff Registered Member

Thanks Chew, Ronjor, Nick S, Ashield (Acadia by proxy),

It will take me some time to examine the info in the links provided, however I appreciated all of the points of view.

I actually sort of like the O/S comment the best...it ties in with my third party software theme in a way. There are cross-platform applications, however it seems to me that O/S's tend to embody a kind of philosophy of what level of participation a computer user needs of wants concerning running of programs. For my taste M$ simply makes annoying assumptions and many third party applications alot less prone to nagging, ect., make time on the computer more enjoyable.

Athough I should be used to it, I still wince involuntarily when I think of all the helpful pop up questions, and descriptions that XP and Word and so on throw at me until I place the electronic duck tape over their mouths.

Some people consider me knowledgeable about XP but that's a laugh! Who the hell is "Dr. Watson", or "bielz.......(sp?)? Before I find out i have to consider that for every new fact I learn, it causes one or two old facts to be forgotten!

And after looking forward to more security I am actually surprised to find myself thinking "it won't be worth the hassle" but...there it is!

I was hoping the memory issue could be a real improvement, however if it doesnt tell me what svchost.exe is doing with its memory....

Mostly I am waiting to hear my respected tutors at Wilder's tell me sp2 is great because....

- HandsOff

An after thought: I just ran 100 feet of ethernet cable because i did not want wireless. Not just because security, or performance advantages. Its just alot less complicated to me!

Last edited: Sep 6, 2004
  13. nadirah

nadirah Registered Member

Just download SP2, if you refuse to have SP2, I say you are just hurting your own computer. Your choice.

14. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

I don't run WinXP so feel free to take my comments as uneducated guesses... ;)

The main "new" security feature of SP2 is Data Execution Protection. This however is only fully available on certain processors (AMD Athlon64s and Intel Itaniums) and a lot of software will need to be updated to cope with it (including many security essentials like firewalls, AV scanners, etc). As such, it is probably best to wait a while until the dust settles before installing SP2 (or at least check that all your favourite software is compatible first).

The other features are either redundant for expert users (tightening up of default settings and services for example) or of more use to new users (the Security Centre, improvements to Windows' own firewall).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.