is there a way win98 to winxp

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by futurefriend, Apr 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. futurefriend

futurefriend Registered Member

situation,: u have many programs on cd & floppy disc that you found while useing win98se, IF & when you buy a new computer with winxp,
    IS THERE a way to install and run these programs from win98 onto th winxp?

or will you have to ho to each indivual site and download them to the new o/s,?? thanks for the help,F,F,

2. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Hi futurefriend,

Welcome back!! :)

To answer your question... Well, for the most part the software kits provided by application vendors are for any Windows systems, the 9x (including ME) and the NT (W2K/XP) families. However, this is not always the case. I have a couple applications that required me to download a different kit based upon the OS I was running. But, I think this is rare.

So, I think you will be able to re-use most of your kits, but, for some of the more complex packages, you might just want to take a look at the company's websites to make sure they don't have a special requirement.

A year ago or so I made a slightly bigger move than you. I went from Windows 95 right to Windows XP. I was able to reuse almost every software software kit I had, including my firewall and AV products. In fact, I had only one program that just wouldn't install on Windows XP, and only because it was old and it had a check built-in to it right at the beginning of the install process and it didn't know what XP was.

Hope this helps,
    LowWaterMark

3. Uguel707

Uguel707 Graphic Artist

Hi Future friend,

Windows xp has a " compatibiliy Program assistant or wizard" that can help you to make win 98 softwares work under xp. You'll find it in the accessories menu on your desk. I never used it but it is possible to do so. Since I can't coach you much, you can ask further questions here. But I don't think there is any harm trying under XP. Bye! Uguel

4. root

root Registered Member

XP has a migrate function to copy old programs from a previous machine to your new XP setup.
    I'm not familiar with it, but you might try the help file or as around for information on how to migrate programs.
    As for regular 98 programs, as said before, most are compatible with XP. If you have the install program, you should be allright.

5. Tinribs

Tinribs Registered Member

I know a friend of mine who is a tad on the lazy side ;)
    He started with Win98 then installed win98se,winme, then win xp pro, all over the top of the previous os with no formatting and never had one problem with any software or any glitches!

Its not advisable but just to let you know it can work fine. ;)

6. Pieter_Arntz

Pieter_Arntz Spyware Veteran

Hi Tinribs,

Your friend is not just a tad lazy, but also very lucky. ;)

Regards,

Pieter

7. futurefriend

futurefriend Registered Member

THANK U EVERYONE,YOUR GREAT

hello all, THANK U for theinfo, I MAKE SURE i burn everything (MY DOC fold,) ONTO A CD ABOUT EVERY 2 WEEKS,evr since 3/2001,and yes have over 52 cds for back up, but just FOUND OUT

I have NEVER TRIED THIS & not sure how,
    but was told that i should also backup all my zip files, (using winzip81)
    am wondering IF i COPY THE WINZIP FILES THE SAME WAY i COPY & BURN MY FOLDER.FILES ONTO A CD,

DO I ,,,just open the winzip & try to find where it sat "'select" all then COPY into a new folder??have never tried to copy winzip files,
    THANK U AGAIN ""F,F,"" :rolleyes:

8. Pieter_Arntz

Pieter_Arntz Spyware Veteran

Hi futurefriend,

No need to unpack your zip files before burning them to CD.
    You can burn them the same way you burn your documents.

Regards,

Pieter

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.