Is there a way to test restore?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Highpower, Apr 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Highpower

Highpower Guest

Is there anyway that the image can be tested on say a partial restore?

Or do we just wait until the drive fails, etc. to find out if the image will transfer successfully back?

Nick

2. sandokan

sandokan Registered Member

When the image is restored the partition to where is restored to is destroyed, so the answer is no, you can't "partially" restore an image. The first thing I did when I bought TI was to create an image and then to create some dummy files in my system drive, and then to restore the image. Dummy files were gone, image perfectly restored, end of story.

3. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hi Nick,

As well as using the Check Image Wizard to verify an image, the best you can do is boot from the Acronis rescue CD (you did create one didn't you :)) and go through the process of restoring the image up to, but not including, clicking the "Proceed" button. If everything checks out up to that point then, when the time comes, there should be no reason why you can't successfully carry out an actual restore.

Regards

4. Highpower

Highpower Guest

Have ran everything up to a total restore. Thanks for the reply.

Nick

5. SirRich

SirRich Guest

Having nothing better to do, one day I did test the restore function. I really had to know having spent many hours/days restoring and reconfiguring from scratch after disasters occured... and I'm convinced they will occur no matter how careful...

I was amazed!! At how perfectly the partition image worked... Weeks after the restore, I've yet to find any differences from the original... of course, even a few errors were restored. I now backup my 120G drive to a stand alone drive connected through the USB port. The boot restore disk worked perfectly even through the USB port! The standalone drive was re-named during the restore, but that makes no difference.

I'm really satisfied with TI and now I can try new programs with the confidence that I will not need to waste so much time ever again, rebuilding a hard drive from scratch, by merely taking an hour to backup every week or so.

One caveat, the restore boot disk did not work made from the original build, only worked after installing the last update.
    Rich

6. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Nice to read a positive post once in a while. Helps to balance a lot of the negativity usually seen on any Support forum. Thanks Rich.

Regards

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.