Is there a way I can get into my bro's password protected windows xp account?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by cheater87, Dec 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cheater87

cheater87 Registered Member

i want to run some spyware scans on it but i can't since its password protected.

2. beetlejuice

beetlejuice Registered Member

Why don't you just ask him? o_O

3. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I don't think you are going to get any help here breaking into a computer by bypassing a password on someones elses acount :doubt:

4. cheater87

dang well thanks anyways

5. cheater87

most of the spyware is coming from his account

6. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

7. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

it's possible to do but you have to reset the password.

8. Alec

Alec Registered Member

Actually, you can do it without reseting the password (as long as the brother's password isn't especially complex such that it takes tons of time, rarely the case)... but I'm certainly not going to detail the process or tools.

9. Primrose

Primrose Registered Member

Are you the Admin of that PC or just a limited user..I assume you are running WinXP home ?

In the future you also might consider doing a password reset disk.

How to log on to Windows XP if you forget your password or your password expires

INTRODUCTION
    This article describes how to log on to Windows XP if you forget your password or your password expires and you cannot create a new one.

Note If you have not created a password reset disk, and you have also forgotten the password for all user accounts, you cannot log on to your existing Windows installation for security reasons. This information applies to starting Windows XP typically, to safe mode, and to Recovery Console. In this case, you must perform a "clean" installation of Windows XP, re-create all user accounts, and then reinstall all your programs.

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=321305

Also

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/win_xp_passwords.htm

Last edited: Dec 1, 2005
  10. cheater87

i'm an administrater

11. AnthonyG

AnthonyG Registered Member

I thought spyware programs scan all acounts, as it scans the complete hard drive and the accounts are obviously based on the hard drive in the user profiles.

Bit of informal advice but you need to inform your parents about your brother and his disregard for the computer, or if you are an administrator and its your computer then set his account to restricted access and entirely block his access to the internet. If he complains just say its due to some spyware he has installed blocking his access on his account. Bit underhanded but it will get you access to his account. Or he will be more careful in the future.

12. Primrose

Primrose Registered Member

Yup. If you install them as the Admin then all users are included for most Security applications and their scans.

Now the rules might be different if his brother has also third party applications installed like an email client proggie or P2P, gaming and etc. which have their own unique password protection scheme for files and application, but that then is the reason he should be talking to his brother and teaching him to be safe.;)

I am in cheaters "camp" on this one..since his goal appears to be safe and not have the system compromised or crashed.

13. beetlejuice69

beetlejuice69 Registered Member

Can`t you still get into a XP machine using a Win98 boot disk? I know it used to be done, but I don`t know about now.

14. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

im not sure about that since XP usually uses the NTFS and the bootdisk only supports FAT. then youd have to run the spyware scanner with teh bootdisk somehow.

15. beetlejuice69

beetlejuice69 Registered Member

OK thanks for that info, it sounds about right anyway. :)

16. BartFan

BartFan Guest

HI... I just can't see your problem. If you're an admin account on WinXPHome, you are able to change the type of account of any user on the computer, which means you can change any account from password-protected type to non password-protected.
    What's all the fuss about? Are you for some reason trying to scan his account without him noticing?!

17. cheater87

i didn't know you could do that. thank

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.