Is there a version of Yahoo messenger that will NOT install spyware?

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by SonyaM32, Jul 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SonyaM32

SonyaM32 Registered Member

Well, I hardly ever use it. I think I have 2 buddys on that list lol and they refuse to use anything BUT Windows messenger to chat. :)

2. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

Don't you mean MSN messenger, because that's something else than Windows Messenger.

Gerard

3. SonyaM32

Actually I thought they were the same thing o_O But I've never really used either one alot, so maby I just don't know.
    I thought at one time I signed into both MSN and Windows messenger with the same username, so I just thought they were the same thing.
    Ok, maby I'm way behind on this :D
    Now I am wondering what the difference is, I thought they were both from Microsoft, maby you can explain it to me?. You can probably tell I'm not a big fan of either one :D
    Thanks!

Last edited: Aug 1, 2006
  4. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

basically they both use teh same network but windows messenger was designed for business and msn messenger is for home users.

also windows messenger lets u "communicate with contacts via your organization’s Microsoft Office Live Communications Server 2005 server"

5. phasechange

phasechange Registered Member

and MSN/Windows Live Messenger needs patching *cough* to remove annoying adverts and clutter although this may be illegal where you live. If visiting http://www.mess.be/ be sure to be running a decent pop up blockers.

The naming thing got really messed up given that there's :

Windows Messenger - comes with Windows, slim, no extra "features", biz version
    MSN Messenger - old home user version
    Windows Live Messenger- New MSN Messenger with extra bloat

Just wait 'til Vista, a great opportunity to bring out Windows Live Premium Home Superhighway Media Centre Edition :p

Fairy

6. SonyaM32

Last night I downloaded Windows Live Messenger, I seem to like it so far.
    What is the 'annoying adverts and clutter' o_O
    Thanks! :D

7. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

i just found this pic on google and i havent tried messenger live, but this pic does show an ad:

http://blog.phnews.org/wp/wp-content/uploads/2006/01/windows-live-messenger.gif

if u want more than just to remove the ad, u can also try messenger plus live. it adds lets u customize messenger a lot more.

ironically tho, messenger plus does include a optional sponsor program (adware). just remember not to install it during setup.

8. Cerxes

Cerxes Registered Member

SonyaM32, regarding your question and IM needs, I can recommend you Trillian, Miranda or Gaim. They are spyware-free and works well with several protocols such as msn, yahoo, icq, jabber e t c. Personally I use Gaim 2.0 beta 3, which I´m very pleased with.

Regards, C.

9. MakoFusion

MakoFusion Registered Member

Gaim has not been expressed enough. I highly recommend it as I use it on both Windows and Linux. Also one to note for Linux is called zinc which uses regex to filter out spam in chatrooms.

10. Happy-Dude

Happy-Dude Registered Member

How about Trillian Messenger Client ? I use that as my primary IM multi-client. Nice interface and easy chatting with tabbing. Course, there are still tweaks needed to be fixed and resolved (as said on Trillian fourms), but still works great. Its freeware and the team still works crazy hard for the product.

For reference, it manages AIM/MSN(WM)/ICQ/Y!M/IRC clients. Problem is it does use a little bit of a boost on RAM, but for a client this good, it no biggy.

11. Tommy

Tommy Registered Member

If you don't need Webcam and Voice suport i suggest Miranda or Gaim.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.