Is there a program for this...

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Brandonn2010, Mar 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brandonn2010

Brandonn2010 Registered Member

I know that when you install some programs, they can install versions of Microsoft Visual C++, Microsoft.NET Framework, or MSXML. I know uninstalling these is discouraged since they can prevent other programs from running.

My question is if there is a program or service that will tell what program is using them, so if you uninstall that program, you can uninstall the Microsoft Visual C++/.NET Framework/XML?

Thank you!

2. Brandonn2010

Bump. Sorry to do that but it went to page 3 without any responses.

3. J_L

J_L Registered Member

You can uninstall those as long as no other software on your system uses them.

4. doktornotor

doktornotor Registered Member

Well, LOL :D Yes, but he wants a tool to find out whether something is using them...

Sorry to disappoint the OP, but Windows lacks proper (reverse) dependency tracking.

5. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

@ Brandonn2010

Don't worry about bumping, i've needed to do it before now ;)

Re. NET Framework

Process Explorer will show what's using it :) if you select to show in Options.

pe1.gif

As i don't have/want NF :p the option is greyed out for me.

Not sure about the other 2 things though, so hopefully someone else will chime in for you :thumb:

6. doktornotor

doktornotor Registered Member

Well, once you have launched everything you installed and checked via process explorer one after another, you will hopefully know. Not really the best way unfortunately, frankly I would leave it installed and move to something more productive.

7. Brandonn2010

Well that sounds like a pain. I think the next time I install Windows on a blank drive, I will keep track of what Microsoft crap is installed when I install another program so that if I remove it, I will know what Microsoft stuff to uninstall as well.

8. Sully

Sully Registered Member

I too am a bit (too much) of a control freak. I used to go to great ends to only put on what was absolutely needed. But, those days are gone. .Net is now something that is widely used, and almost can't be removed. You can, but you might be limiting yourself in the future. Same goes for many of the "dependencies" needed. Same goes for vc++, even physx now it seems.

Because of size I used to prefer not using .NET stuff, and instead looked for VB6 runtime dependent tools. Now, it doesn't matter any longer. You need lots of stuff you did not before. Oh well.

Sul.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.