is there a guide i can follow for virus removal? or do you have any advice?

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by iceni60, Nov 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

one of my Mum's friends has a virus on her laptop and i said i'd see if i can help fix it. i haven't used winodws for a few years and i'm not really sure what the best thing to do is o_O

if it was left to me i'd run some standalone scanners - virus, trojan, rootkit etc. but, i don't know which programs to use.

can someone help me find the right tools to use? or are there are any recent malware removal guides i can follow? i'll only have the laptop for a few hours. thanks.

2. SteveBlanchard

SteveBlanchard Registered Member

Try a trial download. Obviously one that does trial the full product. Then let it find the virus and clean it. Kapersky, 7.0, ESET ESS are probably the best Full Trial products available at the moment.

Otherwise you could use a virus library, which will tell you about the indivdual virus and what to do to remove it.

Finally get your mums friend to purchase an anti virus program or package - ideally one of the above would be fine and if in the UK Kapersky 7.0 is half price.

links ESET http://www.eset.com/smartsecurity/index.php
    Kapersky http://www.kaspersky.com/kaspersky_internet_security

Good Luck!

3. Thankful

Thankful Savings Monitor

4. CogitoErgoSum

CogitoErgoSum Registered Member

5. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

drweb's CureIt as always,

its free and no installation needed :thumb:

6. 19monty64

19monty64 Registered Member

Turn off system restore, install CCleaner and HijackThis for posting logs for additional help are also a necessity I would say. (Full-time Windows-users are so experienced when dealing with malware, has anyone noticed this. lol)

7. trjam

trjam Registered Member

the best 2 are Kaspersky and Dr Web.

8. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

You've got some good leads here.
    The following two links are comprehensive guides for malware removal, respectively by Castlecops, and Ccleaner forums. They're informative, and contain step-by-step removal procedures complete with links to online scanners and downloadable scanners/tools, such as Superantispyware, AVG Antispyware etc.Castlecops guide
    Ccleaner guide (The company name is Piriform.)
    To completely and thoroughly follow either of those will take an hour or three. I've found it a very useful experience, and think every windows user should do this at least once, malware or not, just for the learning.
    In the event malware is found that can't be cleaned by following the steps in the guide/s, you can post a HijackThis log at the appropriate forum at either of those sites, and there are plenty of other sites around that do this, also.
    [edit] PS, should you need to post a log, just do it at one site. Some users post multiple instances at different sites, perhaps in an effort to get the best help. Just wastes volunteers time, and can confuse what's going on.

9. 19monty64

Iceni has the pc for only a few hours and has not posted back. I don't envy her position. I feel like a father with a sick child.

10. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

It depends on what virus is on the system. There might be a specific virus removal tool available. Or you can use any of the online scanner programs or virus identifier sites (virustotal, jotti, etc.). Not every program will come out with the same results, so I would also suggest looking up the virus definition information for a particular program before using it.

11. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

Iceni appears to be online on this forum now, so I think an update may be forthcoming.

12. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

i get the computer tomorrow. this time tomorrow the computer will probably be in the bin lol

i'm going to read this thread tomorrow, but incase i need to install an AV and AT and i suppose AS too lol is antivir and superantispyware OK? or what?

and i probably should let it be known i'm not a girl, i like looking at girls :D so that might explain my avatar, most people who haven't been on the forum for a long time probably think i am a girl. i am beautiful though :cool: :eek:

13. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

Yes, both those are ok or better. You may need more, though, depending on the infection.
    So you're a male, and you like looking at girls. How unusual.;)
    So, who is the girl in your profile?

14. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

ROFLMAO I knew my suspicions were right and you were NOT a female. The picture avatar kept me say "iceni is one hot chick". LOL

Antivir is pretty good in AV detections as far as the testing reports indicate. SAS should also be good in scanning for adware, trojans, and other forms of malware. You can also try the KAV online scanner, but remember that the OS change will be included along with the scan. ;) Antivir and SAS require you to install them. Only the online scanner programs don't require installation.

Hopefully, you will be able to identify the virus tomorrow and find the appropriate disinfection tool to remove it so that you don't have to wipe out the entire drive.

15. clambermatic

clambermatic Registered Member

SUPERantispyware (Pro-trial cpy), hijackThis & CCleaner mentioned below are the derriguers in malware cleaning. SUPERA can be substituted with your other choice but in my experience it's pretty reliable for initial disinfecting due to its noted small footprint.

Start on cold-boot and switch to SafeMode for installation of SUPERA & hijackThis, and do your scanning therein. Scan in several session & do a chkdsk . Make sure no OS files had been replaced or truncated. Once verified clean, install CCleaner after normal boot to cleanse off the remnants.

Btw... a couple of posted url links below was indeed helpful. Peruse it!

---------------------------------
    EDIT: typo

Last edited: Nov 16, 2007
  16. 19monty64

Sorry...your not the first lol as I've met many a "girl" that was really a guy lol what's the chances of that happening on the internet. Next you'll be telling us you're not young either lol But seriously. It's handy to have your installers on a portable medium, floppy, cd, pen drive already to go. Good luck!!!

17. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

thanks for the help. i'm going to get the computer in about 6 hours so i'll go through everything then.

my avatar is gia - Gia Carangi, you can look her up at wikipedia, or watch the gia story at youtube :p do this search
    "gia carangi story part 1" EDIT, htat's not the movie i was thinking of, it's a compliation of things made by a gia fan lol. the film has angelia jolie playing her.

ok, i'll post a picture, i'm just a male version of my avatar :D
    http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/3963/me0002bt9.jpg

18. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,

1. Backup personal data.
    2. Scan with a 2-3 good anti-virus programs.
    3. If you can clean - good, if not - write down the locations of bad files.
    4. Boot from CD - can be Linux.
    5. Delete the offending files.
    6. Boot back into Windows.
    7. Complete cleaning and such.
    8. Delete system restore entries, clean temp files etc.

Mrk

19. lodore

lodore Registered Member

hello,
    i have found a link for linux defender. its a linux live cd based on Knoppix
    it has the full bitdefender scanning engine and updator on it.
    its worth downloading and burning to cd to see if it can get rid of the malware.
    link

20. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

i got the computer now, it's got no AV or anything :eek:

it's XPSP2, i was thinking of installing XPantispy too and disabling some services, do you think i should do that?

i looked in msconfig and there are loads of startups, i might start a thread and see if anyone knows any of the stuff starting up so i can disable some.

the desktop has got some shortcuts to a gambling link and a scanner that says it's found some problems and wants money for the full program, it's called Ultimate Cleaner 2007, it's a Driveby ActiveX Installation i think because she said it happened after searching with google.

i'm scared to plug an ethernet cable in while i've got this computer on the same LAN lol. i know it's safe because i scanned the FW with nmap the other day, but i don't want to do it.

21. Sjoeii

Sjoeii Registered Member

No Avira anymore Trjam?

22. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

don't start private conversations in this thread.

23. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

that's a really big download, i'd rather download a film. that would take me an hour to get.

24. De Hollander

De Hollander Registered Member

25. ice60

ice60 Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.