is there a free ftp service ?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by mantra, Feb 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mantra

mantra Registered Member

Hi
    i use filezilla like ftp client

i'm looking for an ftp service maybe free

i don't know if google or yahoo , outside the email , offer an a ftp space

i need because i need to upload some pdf

and share with my co-worker

i guess filezilla is one of the best ftp client and it's free

thanks

2. Sully

Sully Registered Member

If you trust the other parties, you can use a gmail drive
    http://majorgeeks.com/GMail_Drive_d4405.html

You just create a gmail account, then install gmail drive (both of you). You then tell your party what the username/password is, and they can access it like a drive in thier computer. You can drag and drop files to it as if it were a physical drive. Works pretty slick.

Of course you give out the password to just anyone and you might lose control of your gmail account ;)

It is a convenient way to share stuff among a small trusted group. And no ads etc.

Sul.

3. NoIos

NoIos Registered Member

Offering free ftp is not something hosts like to offer.
    My opinion is that you have some other options.

1. Use some kind of sharing service, like Mediafire or Rapidshare. The files are almost 100% private since these services do not offer a search facility. I mean the urls are unique and difficult for others to guess or find. You can also compress and password protect the files. Share the password with your friend ( Mediafire does not allow password protected files but using the 7z format can trick their control system ).
    2. Find a free hosting account that supports ftp.
    3. If the pdf files are less of 20MB, you can send them as email attachments using some email service. Gmail limit is 20 or 25mb.
    4. Alternative and great method for sharing files with a friend or group of friends is Wuala. Although requires installation of the wuala client.
    I could suggest more...

4. Pinga

Pinga Registered Member

5. mantra

mantra Registered Member

thanks
    but i did remember that yahoo or google with the email provided a "bag" or "small bag" i don't know the exactly name in english to share file
    you could upload these files and keep in the bag
    don't know the actual situation

6. mantra

mantra Registered Member

thank you!
    do you use Wuala?

7. mantra

mantra Registered Member

do you think it's secure? does it work with filezilla?

8. NoIos

NoIos Registered Member

Yes, i do. It provides 1Gb free space, but if you start trading some of your hard disk space then you can get more online space for your files. Actually is really cool and secure ( until the opposite gets proved ). It's easy to use. You may have private and public files. You may create private and public groups. If you create a private group you can invite your friend and then only you two are going to have access to the files. Wuala has many features. The best way to found out is to test it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.