Is there a "fix it" tool for a zip archive?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Howard Kaikow, Dec 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Howard Kaikow

Howard Kaikow Registered Member

There's web site that I deal with periodically that has difficulties send me the full PDF file, but it has an option to send a .zip, so I use that and am often successful.

Today, I encountered a .zip that does not appear to be downloading correctly, e.g., Firfox stops the download (without an error message) with a few seconds of estimated time left.

Stuffit just will not even let me view the archive.

However, TUGZIP 3.4 allows me to view the archive, but is unable to extract the file.

The info TUGZIP displays indicates that the whole PDF file might be there.
    Is there a way I can TRY to fix such an archive?

NOTE: I cannot make the .zip file available to others as it is from a private site with restricted access,

2. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

You will probably get a better response if one of the forum Moderators moved your post to the Software and Services section of Wilders.

Regards

3. Howard Kaikow

u r right!

I did not intend to post the message here.
    It was intended for a totally different forum.

I would recommend deleting the thread.

What's left of my mind has been elsewhere recently.

4. Global Force

Global Force Guest

Hi Howard,

Did you try to re-download that file? Is there some sort of encryption involved?

GF

5. Global Force

Global Force Guest

Forgot to ask, what OS are you on?

GF

6. Howard Kaikow

It's a problem web site, i.e., problem with its web management.

Over the past few years, I've pointed out the problem that trying to download anything over about 1.6MB from that web site fails to complete. In this case, the particular .zip file was around that threshold size.

Earlier this year, the web owner admitted that they used unusual settings for timeouts, etc., and tried different settings, but those made matters worse.

I have no trouble downloading much larger files at other web sites, so the problem is not with my ISP or with my PC.

7. Tassie_Devils

Tassie_Devils Global Moderator

Well, if you don't have a prob downloading larger files from other sites, and you acknowledge the problems lies within this particular site with files over 1.6Mb, then there is not much you can really do...

*Maybe* you can get a Download Manager, which enables files to be downloaded quickly simultaneously as it splits the file download and once all dl'd puts it back together again. that way if *may* avoid your problem itself with larger files.

It's been a number of years since I've bothered with a DL Manager, so am not up on any currently. Just be aware that **some** of them may contain sypware. :(

Google: download managers ~ you will get a list.

Here are some: "GetRight: Download utilities to allow you to easily download files and recover if errors occur."
    http://www.getright.com/

FDM: [Free Download Manager] can resume broken downloads. So you needn't start the downloading process from the very beginning after casual interruption. You can resume unfinished download from the moment when it was interrupted. Also this program warns you if resuming isn't supported by the servers. It allows you to make a decision about the downloading. So with FDM you save your time and money.
    http://www.freedownloadmanager.org/

Internet Download Manager: (IDM) is a tool to increase download speeds by up to 500 percent, resume and schedule downloads. Comprehensive error recovery and resume capability will restart broken or interrupted downloads due to lost connections, network problems, computer shutdowns, or unexpected power outages. Simple graphic user interface makes IDM user friendly and easy to use.
    Here: http://www.internetdownloadmanager.com/

NetAnts: Following the first generation of download managers like GetRight, emerged the second generation of download managers with multithread functionality. Being compact, stable, easy to use and with a well-designed user interface, NetAnts have been regarded as the representative of second generation download managers.
    http://www.netants.com/

LeechGet: LeechGet is a download manager that uses a very nice, modern, Microsoft Outlook-like user interface and seamlessly integrates into Internet Explorer, allowing you to easily start and manage your downloads.
    http://www.leechget.net/en/

To List just a few. I cannot personally guarantee the qualtiy/spyware free/accuracy status of any of these. Just a suggestion which *may* help with your downloads.

HTH, TAS :)

edit: Upon reading some of the sites listed, that IDM one looks good to me. Some more blurb from it which could help you:

Other features include multilingual support, zip preview, download categories, built-in download accelerator, scheduler pro, sounds on events, HTTPS support, queue processor, pipelining of ftp commands, html help and tutorial, enhanced virus protection on download completion, progressive downloading with quotas (useful for connections that use some kind of fair access policy or FAP like Direcway, Direct PC, Hughes, etc.), command line parameters, and many others.

As does GetRight: But not free.

# Download manager and accelerator software
    # Accelerate Downloads: get a file from several servers simultaneously
    # Download recovery if connection is lost or computer crashes
    # Works with Internet Explorer, Firefox, Opera, Mozilla, Netscape, AOL, and MSN [THIS is a good feature also ;) ]
    # Easy to use for the novice and powerful for the professional
    # No spyware

ahhh haaa!... Now HERE is an endoresement....

Patrick Kolla reviewed current download managers, his conclusion: [Patrick is the author of Spybot Search and Destroy ~ TAS]

Time for us to review what download managers are out there and which ones are free of spyware and adware (...) And the winner is LeechGet. Very easy to use, has a nice looking (but not too crowded) user interface, are spyware-clean and free for personal use.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2005
  8. Howard Kaikow

I did not ask about download manager.
    I asked about a "fix it" tool for a zip archive.

There used to be a PKZIPFix, or something like that.

9. Tassie_Devils

Tassie_Devils Global Moderator

Yes, *but* my point being was that your files don't seem to 'complete' downloading, at least that's what you say in your posts, and you cannot get to them...

*MY* 'maybe solution' was to use a download manager, which will download the file/s 'split' and then *may* reassemble into a *complete* file..

but suit yourself.......:doubt:

10. Howard Kaikow

I asked about a fix-it tool because TUGZip was able to list the files in the archive and th esize looked about right, so a simple fix might eable expansion.

11. securityx

securityx Registered Member

A must-have if you frequently use zip files is Zip-Repair:
    http://www.zip-repair.com/
    Free trial download. A very simple program that fixes corrupt .zip archives. I use it all the time with perfect results. Rarely do I come across a .zip file it cannot fix.

12. Global Force

Global Force Guest

Yep! That one along with Object Fix Zip were encountered with a slew more on tap, none of these FREE. But you never know Howard, people come across with little known app's all the time. The plus here, securityx carries the word's of user experience.

GF

13. Howard Kaikow

Thanx.

I found an old copy of pkzip fix.

It returned no errors when fixing the archive, and allowed Stuffit DEluke to then view the archive.

However, trying to extract the file seems to go into some sort of loop. THe actual file is a bit over 2MB, but the extraction produces a 200+MB file and is still going, until I killed it.

I'll take a look at the other repair options, including an updated copy of pkzipfix.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.