Is There A Better Imaging Program?

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by rwinegar, Jul 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I agree, and I have BartPE disks with a bunch on them. But I burnt a lot of coasters until I got it right.

But if we are talking simple, that's different. I could talk someone thru an imaging and restore with SP. But I doubt I could talk someone thru building a bartpe disk with all the right stuff on it.

Pete

2. osip

osip Registered Member

I agree that you agreed...:D Not beeing an expert I managed to do that earlier without problems...and, without talking you can, provided that an average user have Returnil or similar, recommend links for BartPe setup+ links for the plugins...then the user can go through trial and error without problems and if problems no harm done...I strongly recommend this approach.
    BartPe setup and info here:
    http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/

plugins+info here:
    http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/plugins/

3. Cintra

Cintra Registered Member

What I mean by better is an app which has a reliable Recovery CD..

I have had trouble with TI 9's, so eventually I made a Bart PE the works ok, but what a hassle.

I have applied for the 30-day money back on TI 11 - it would only backup my Linux drive (b) in sector-by-sector mode :(

Paragon Drive Backup 9 Personal backs up the Linux drive at rocket speed, BUT the Recovery CD is (insert your own rude word here). The mouse driver is from 1995 and only works for me if I keep wiggling the mouse as windows open :) The Normal mode didn't find any drives at all..

However, just today it saved my bacon, restoring the XP drive (a) using Failsafe mode (remembering to wiggle the mouse) ;)

It seems little development is being put into the Recovery tools and IMHO they are equally as important as Backup.

Mvh

Edit: I think I may have found an answer to the needs above.. after posting this I came across an app on a site I put a lot of trust in - lifehacker.com .

They gave a link to an app called Macrium Reflect Free. I downloaded it, made a Bart PE - they drop the plugin into Bart ready for you to build and burn! It works a treat. Don't waste time on the Linux Recover CD though...

Last edited: Jul 5, 2008
  4. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

I only can make assumptions about your definition of "better".
    All I want to contribute to this discussion that I'm a Paragon Harddisk Manager 2008 user and I haven't had any issues creating images and restoring them with the bootable CD.

It also includes an offline defragger and NTFS repair features.

5. PoetWarrior

PoetWarrior Registered Member

I just bought Paragon Drive Backup 9 and its already done a great job at 4 recoveries from both the recovery disk and backup capsule.

Still playing with XP Pro vs. Vista so I had to commit to an imaging program. :blink:

6. Peter2150

Hi Cintra

I use ShadowProtect's Recovery CD all the time, for imaging,verifying, mounting images, and restoring. Never an issue.

Pete

7. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

So here we all are: ;)
    Acronis
    Paragon
    SP
    and others...

all great tools; INDISPENSABLE.
    You want a bootable recovery environment with multi-boot management, imaging, partition management, formatting, drive recognition, Linux compatible, and a GUI
    ( lol: that fits on a floppy :cool: )
    - try here :BING: http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/bootit-next-generation.htm
    try it; you'll like it; sexy as all get out : vids and tuts: http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/bootit-next-generation-tutorials.htm

$40

You want a bootable disc for just for imaging from Win and recovery from Boot: http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/image-for-windows.htm

Get the bundle..

Just keeping the flag flying....:D

Last edited: Jul 5, 2008
  8. wilbertnl

:D
    Right!
    But the keyword is 'better'.:D

9. Cintra

Cintra Registered Member

Hei, I downloaded it, but ended up using Paragon Disk Backup 9 to restore windows, owing to a stupid thing on my part. I couldn't find anything about Linux partitions, and it wanted me to uninstall Acronis because of something to do with snapman.sys IIRC, and I didn't want to go through all the registering hassle with update and previous keys, and the price was high!

Thanks anyway.

In the meantime Macrium Reflect Free Bart PE-based Recovery CD worked straight off for me. :)

Regards

10. jfd15

jfd15 Registered Member

Norton's Ghost is not really a contender anymore?

11. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

I use DriveSnapshot and also markymoo's Drive Snap utility and have since mothballed my PARAGON Drive BackUp Pro! as reliable as it is.

DS is much faster IMO and since i regularly image across partitions it does it with ease and i'm still batting 1000 with it, meaning 100% success rate and not even a burp yet. ;) That i really like. Markymoo's Drive Snap can create a CD disk for imaging/restore tasks and so much more.

EASTER

12. rolarocka

rolarocka Guest

You would be surprised how fast Image for Dos boots :thumb: . Image for Dos can restore images made with Image for Windows.

13. Peter2150

My experience with Image for Dos is that it buts fast, but it's restore time was like watching finger nails grow.

Pete

14. rolarocka

rolarocka Guest

On my system a restore with IFD and a backup with IFW takes the same time.

edit: i must correct myself because i have tested it again now. Restore with IFD is a lot faster than a backup with IFW. I made a backup with IFW that took 25m23sec and the same image was restored with IFD an took 18m56sec.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 5, 2008
  15. wilbertnl

Aw, is that why the retail box comes with nail polish? :D

16. osip

osip Registered Member

The newer releases of IFW/IFD are much better in speed and incrementals than the old 1.70...And yes, IFD is fast and very easy to handle...

17. Hairy Coo

Hairy Coo Registered Member

Citra
    Before you settle on that ,make sure it does restore perfectly.
    In my tests,I had all sorts of problems with it.
    From memory not sure if there is a way to work outside the OS.

18. jonyjoe81

jonyjoe81 Registered Member

I also use true image 9.0 on one of my computers, but have also started using "easyimage" on my other computers. This a "barebones" image program doesn't do schedules or incrementals/differentials etc. It just does manual backups of individual partitions or clones hard drives. The recovery cd works on every computer I tried it on. The price is affordable at only $20.00, but it does work and I have done several restores. In my tests it's slower than true image but faster than paragon drive backup 8.5.

http://www.eazsolution.com/en/easyimage.php

19. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

I decided to go with Ghost as it was on sale. Heck you can sometimes find it for free after rebate (bundled with NIS 2008 and Partition Magic).

20. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

And...??
    lol
    which part of the post did you not understand...:D ;)

21. RAD

RAD Registered Member

ATI 10 simply had to many problems with VISTA.
    I switched to Paragon Drive Backup and it has worked flawlessly; and saved my system through successful restores numerous times.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.