Is the WOT extension a scam.?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by The Red Moon, Aug 23, 2015.

1. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

WOT doesn't rely on users' website ratings, they are supplemental.

2. pegas

pegas Registered Member

Indeed?

3. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

google safe browsing does not give ratings next to websearches plus it will not catch them all.WOT will give "some" indication of the validity of a website.
    I did try the avira firefox extension but i noticed a slowdown in firefox.:)

4. Daveski17

Yes, indeed.

The installed WOT browser add-on shows its users the reputations of websites, which are calculated through a combination of user ratings and data from other sources. ~ Wikipedia

It isn't just user ratings that determine a site, they use algorithms and other data sets.

5. J_L

J_L Registered Member

When there isn't any of those other data sets, user ratings is enough to blacklist a website.

6. Daveski17

It's why I take user rating with a dose of Sodium Chloride lol.

7. Alexhousek

Alexhousek Registered Member

When you help your 75 year old mother manage her computer from over 500 miles away; who has a history of just clicking on sites or installing all kinds of software, WOT is a god-send. You install it on her PC (via Teamviewer) and say "Mom, don't click on anything unless it has a green circle next to it!" "If it's yellow or red stay away from it."

That is what I find WOT very useful for....

8. AutoCascade

AutoCascade Registered Member

That is a great example.

9. Daveski17

I can see that lol. Yeah, I only wish that they would code it for Maxthon.

10. Joxx

Joxx Registered Member

You've hit the nail on the head.

11. The Red Moon

Problem is that one negative vote no matter how trivial can give the site a orange or red rating.

12. Daveski17

I think that's where a lot of the problem lies. I often check red or orange sites by reading the comments to see what the problem is. As I said before, WOT is a tool, and a useful one, I can't explain some of the 'tools' who falsely flag genuine websites however. Plus, I think the criteria for flagging a website should only pertain to actual malware and any ethical or political considerations shouldn't even be considered.

13. Joxx

Joxx Registered Member

It had to be the only vote regarding that particular site.
    Maybe if you had done a research on how WOT works you woldn't had started this thread.

14. The Red Moon

i believe you may need to check your grammar .....But anyhow i had done some research on how WOT functions but so have several other people and that is why i created this thread.

For a classic example..say we wish to find a notable mechanic.so we perform a search and lo and behold some legit companies may have a red circle by the search entry purely because of say for example a personal grudge by a past customer..

Do you catch my drift dear boy.?

Thanks.

15. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

I use Norton's Safe Web annotations ... when they work.

16. Daveski17

I think it's a fair thing to analyse or criticise WOT on certain grounds. I came to the conclusion that it was more useful than annoying or un-useful a while ago. Out of the alternatives; I think it's the best extension.

17. The Red Moon

i have tested it with malicious domains dave and it has stopped every one in its tracks so it certainly has its benefits.

18. Daveski17

Well, that's a relief lol! It's occasionally stopped me on sites, so it could well have saved me from a drive-by or two.

19. Joxx

Joxx Registered Member

No I don't old bean,
    my grammar may be crippled but my reasoning is crisp, quit the opposite of you, old chap.

20. The Red Moon

I would say your reasoning is crisp as a fog over an english quagmire my dear old fruit.:argh:

21. Joxx

Joxx Registered Member

yes... anglo-saxon slowness... don't feel bad about it
    the answer is still in post #38, first sentence... take your time

22. taleblou

taleblou Registered Member

wot is biased and as op thing is fishy. Here is an example as to why: Check this legit SAFE news site with wot and you see the warning and when you read comment, you see that several POLITICALLY oriented comment of why some people do not like that news site or any news or media site from that country. Nothing to do with dangers or malware or safety.

This is why WOT is non-trustworthy.

The link to check with wot belongs to farsnews agency. An Iranian semi-official news agency and the bad rating comes from anti-Iranian posters.
    check it yourself. Just type "farsnews.com" in the address bar and see WOT go cracy on it.

Any extension or program that used political excuses or politic is no-no to me. Computer apps and program and anything to do with computers should not be political and be freed from those type of biasing.

23. pegas

pegas Registered Member

Correct, I second this view. That's also why I have objections to WOT. If there is no strict rules for users how they should rate sites the rating will always be biased.

24. RoTom

RoTom Registered Member

This is really ironic: the WoT site loads scripts from "visualwebsiteoptimizer.com"... which has a poor reputation on WoT.
    See image: https://i.imgur.com/u9rwpCE.png

25. Daveski17

:eek::argh:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.