Is the new outlook going to replace Calendar on my Windows 10?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Phil459, Dec 29, 2023.

1. Phil459

Phil459 Registered Member

I've been reading a lot about this and have been getting a lot of nags in Calendar to try the new Outlook. The new Outlook even installed itself without my knowledge or consent. I haven't tried it and have no intention to. I don't use Outlook now, but do use Calendar because it's a pretty decent native calendar. My only question is this: Is Microsoft going to replace Outlook and Calendar on my system even if I don't want it or try it? Or will it only be mandatory on new equipment starting in 2024?

2. Antarctica

Antarctica Registered Member

Like usually nothing is straight forward with Microsoft, it seems the new Outlook will be mandatory only at the end of 2024 now…

https://winaero.com/microsoft-delays-the-enforcement-of-the-new-outlook-until-the-end-of-2024/

3. Phil459

4. Antarctica

Same for me, I tried it and hate it:cool:

5. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

https://www.ghacks.net/2024/01/12/p...ws-is-microsofts-new-data-collection-service/

6. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

Unless they make some major changes to this I plan on not using it. If they don't change it and try to force it on me it will be time to move to Thunderbird or similar.

I'm waiting for the post about the eventual hack where someone gets everyone's email credentials from Microsoft. And the next one where the bad guys take that info to reset the rest of everyone's accounts and steal whatever they can.

7. Phil459

The only thing that concerns me is Calendar; I just can't imagine MS taking over my computer and uninstalling it. If I was using the new Outlook maybe; but otherwise I can't imagine even MS doing something like that. If they do they'll have a mutiny on their hands.

8. xxJackxx

They don't uninstall anything. They change the defaults. Which can be changed back. Unfortunately at that point they have already stolen your credentials.

9. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

https://www.ghacks.net/2024/01/17/r...ar-app-migration-to-the-inferior-outlook-app/

10. Antarctica

11. xxJackxx

My previous post was from the idea of being moved from the old Outlook to the new one. I have never used the Windows Mail or Calendar so my response did not account for them. If I were using those I would likely be looking into Thunderbird or something else. Which I may also be doing when they try to force us off of the old Outlook. The new one may be fine if you're using email accounts hosted by Microsoft. For anything else I won't be letting them steal my account info.

12. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

I've had to uninstall Outlook for Windows multiple times on two Win10 machines. Eventually starting using Windows Live Mail again. Yeah, I know it's EOL but I don't care at this point.

Mail has been uninstalled on my machines by Outlook for Windows.

13. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

Microsoft sneaks ads into the new Outlook for Windows
    https://www.ghacks.net/2024/02/02/microsoft-sneaks-ads-into-the-new-outlook-for-windows/

14. xxJackxx

I was of the impression that ads would happen for free users and 365 subscribers wouldn't see them but this article does not mention that. If they start charging for ad free Outlook in addition to a 365 subscription people will look for other alternatives, free or not.

15. anon

anon Registered Member

Microsoft won't kill classic Outlook for Windows "until at least 2029"
    March 7, 2024
    https://www.ghacks.net/2024/03/08/m...ssic-outlook-for-windows-until-at-least-2029/
    -----------------------------
    New Outlook for Windows: A Guide to Product Availabilty
    March 7, 2024
    https://techcommunity.microsoft.com...-a-guide-to-product-availability/ba-p/4078895

16. xxJackxx

I hope as they move businesses over that they stop running everyone's email accounts through their own servers.
    Microsoft offers guidance to organizations for moving to the new Outlook for Windows - Neowin

17. Phil459

I've found what seems like a very good solution to the Calendar issue. MS keeps trying to force me to use the New Outlook; so, in case Calendar disappears, I just duplicated all my appointments into Microsoft To Do. It's not a full calendar but it serves the same purpose. You can add appointments and schedule reminders, same as Calendar. It also has a small calendar for scheduling appointments and reminders. I actually like it better than Calendar because it simply lists all my appointments in a nice little row which I can view all at once.

In case that goes south too, I found a failsafe: Downloadable calendars. https://www.vertex42.com/calendars/ You can download them in PDF format, and they're just big enough to insert appointments with a PDF editor. No reminders, but at least you don't have to worry about MS removing them.

I was also thinking a person could just make a Notepad document with a list of appointments. Pretty basic, but another way to prevent MS from borking all your appointments.

I'm not sure if Microsoft To Do will go the way of Calendar in Windows 10. Since I've been using it I haven't been getting any nags to switch to Outlook. I'm not even signed in to MS and it seems to be working okay. Come to think of it, I probably shouldn't even be posting any of this; MS will get wind of it and poop the party. lol

18. digmor crusher

digmor crusher Registered Member

The calendar I use to mark my appointments is on the wall. :D

19. Phil459

Can't go wrong there. The only thing about that though is what they're charging for a good one these days. You can get them at Dollar Tree pretty cheap. Sometimes you can score a free one around Christmas time.

20. digmor crusher

Yup, don't have to worry about it being incompatible with anything, works when the power is out and never needs an update.

21. xxJackxx

It does need an annual upgrade but no security patches. And it never crashes. Much unlike Outlook.

22. digmor crusher

Yup, you got me there.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.