Is the new AVG Free 8.5 Program Update problem-free?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by bloomcounty, Jul 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bloomcounty

bloomcounty Registered Member

Does anybody here still use AVG Free 8.5? :)

I just wanted to check to see if the recent program update (AVG Free 8.5.441) had any issues or if it was good to apply?

I ask because there was that whole situation with that program update to 9.0 awhile back that killed many people's internet connection (most with ZoneAlarm, but also others with different firewalls, so it was an AVG thing, not a ZA thing).

Just wanted to make sure nobody was having any issues with the new 8.5 Free program update!

Program update AVG Free 8.5.441 ................... July 8, 2010
    Fixes & Improvements
    Core: Increased flexibility in algoritmic detection.
    http://forums.avg.com/us-en/avg-free-forum?sec=thread&act=show&id=387

Details:
    Update component (version: 441)
    Language Files (English) (version: 439)
    User Interface component (version: 440)
    User Interface data (version: 409)
    Core component (version: 440)

(I never actually installed the AVG Free 8.5.439 update, so I'm still at AVG Free 8.5.437.)

I have: XP SP2 (I know support is ending, but I'm not going to use
    this laptop for internet except to check my email in OE after next Tuesday), Firefox 3.6.6, IE 6 (for Windows Updates only, while they last), ZA 6.1.744.001 (old version, works fine!), AVG Free 8.5.437 (currently)

Thanks for the help! :thumb:

2. progress

progress Guest

Yes - but the new AVG Free is 9.0 :)

3. bloomcounty

Heh, I know, I know... But when they had that major problem awhile back that killed most people's internet connections (including those who used an older ZA like me), it scared me off -- at least until they no longer support 8.5 Free. Maybe the reason they still support 8.5 Free is because of the on-again/off-again issues with 9.0 Free? Not sure...

Where/how do you find out if there are any issues? Just wondering for future reference. I did a google search (and checked the AVG Forum, which doesn't seem to have that much traffic), which didn't show anything -- but posted here to ask just to be sure. (I trust this board more than a google search! :) )

Thanks for the reply! :thumb:

4. progress

progress Guest

No problems with the internet connection with the latest version, I think you should try it :)

5. bloomcounty

I will one of these days... :)

Thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.