is TDS3 NOT the best?

Discussion in 'Trojan Defence Suite' started by tutankamon, Dec 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tutankamon

tutankamon Registered Member

Hi all,
    I just bought the latest issue of PC Utilities No 43
    In it they have done comparisons between various Anti virus / anti trojan programs to see how they match up.
    To cut a long story short, the total performance scores varied from, lowest IPARMOR 5.42 scored 2.4% up to Dital Patrol which had 39.16% TDS3 only had a score of 14.07% according to the magazine article from a trial database of 11,909 trojan / backdoors TDS3 detected (6719) did not detect (5190) whilst Digital Patrol detected (8816) did not detect (3093) there were other checks included, but I thought TDS3 would have been top as reguards finding trojans / backdoors. see magazine at www.pc-utilities.co.uk

2. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hi tutankamon, Where is the rview, your link just goes to the home page.

What sort of malware was used for the test and the parameters used?
    What parameters were set for each AT programme?
    How old were the AT databases used?
    How many other AT's were tested.
    What affiliations does PC-utilities have with Digital Patrol for instance?
    Did the magazine request information from the AT company's before publishing the results.
    Did they pass on the names of the missed malware.

No mention of BO-clean, Trojan Hunter, The Cleaner etc.?

Sorry without answers to a lot of questions including those above, I am always Jubious about these so called tests.

3. Bowserman

Bowserman Infrequent Poster

Pilli, I believe he is referring to Antony Petrakis (aka Virus-P) test that was published in that magazine.... :rolleyes:.

tutankamon, you may like to read the thread over here. And then read the follow up to that thread here and form your own opinion on his testing methodology :blink:.

Regards,
    Jade.

4. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hi Jade, Thanks for that. Those arguments will never end!

tutankamon, Testing AT's is not like testing AV's TDS3 is well known to be the top AT programme, not just because of it's detection rates but because of it's many other capabilities &, of course, it's unparalled support.

In the end you must look at all the evidence objectively & find which application you trust & can work with. :)

HTH Pilli

5. tutankamon

tutankamon Registered Member

Hi jade,
    Yes, you are correct that was the article I was refering to. Nice link, (thank you ) I will read it in full later. I was swamped by Pilli`s questions about the tests, but your link pointed the way to the answer.
    My post was rhetorical, I believe TDS3 to be the best, otherwise I would not have bought it, nor would I be looking forward to TDS4.. I thought at first that it was a mis-print, and they got the final figures between TDS3 and Digital Patrol crossed over. Needless to say that I am sticking with TDS3 / 4

6. Gavin - DiamondCS

Gavin - DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

There are also a ton of VBS "trojans" which are detected by the generic script detection of Wormguard, and by ALL the new script protections in AV's (they seem to have caught up since Wormguard 2 many years ago)

And a .INI file can be called backdoor.irc.flood but without the trojan to use that INI file, its useless. I have thousands of these which will be added to detection for TDS-4 JUST FOR NUMBERS sake :) Sorry if it will slow the scan a LITTLE but they will be added ;)

7. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Getting to like several database selections:
    ALL
    spy/adware
    dialers
    INIs
    JS
    Scripts
    Trojans
    Worms
    whatever more there is
    maybe in a selection menu with checkmarks :)

8. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

tutankamon , Yeh, Sorry about all the questions, had I known the test was that particuler one I would not have asked.
    Apart from that magazine tests usually do not have the expertise to perform in depth AT - AV testing so I never take any notice of them :) And IMHO are more subjective than objective.

9. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

that's exactly why they cause so mych subjective discussion!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.