Is SuperAntispyware still good?

Discussion in 'polls' started by jo3blac1, Sep 15, 2012.

?

What do you think of SAS active protection

1. The new version is good.

10 vote(s)
    17.5%
  2. It's okay, better than having no active protection.

6 vote(s)
    10.5%
  3. SAS active protection is very poor, use on demand scanner.

10 vote(s)
    17.5%
  4. Entire SAS went downhill, it's complete piece of junk, get rid of it.

31 vote(s)
    54.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

Keep HitmanPro in your system instead.;) HitmanPro is a must.:D:thumb:

2. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

HMP found a variant of TDL rootkit, a boot kit and ZeroAccess rootkit, and cleaned them all on a reboot... on a friend's machine that had NIS installed that was crippled by these infections.
    I saw it with my own eyes and it was awesome the way HMP kicked behind while NIS was unable to deal with the unwanted guests. :cool:

3. sweater

sweater Registered Member

Philippines, the Political Dynasty Capital of the
    I use their free version for on-demand scanning.

Problem:

- didn't find anything else but still I think it's better to have this along w/ others
    - definition download updates slow
    - when updating, it eats lots of ram

But I think their latest version are more better than previous version and it updates a little faster than before.

4. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

I voted "Entire SAS went downhill, it's complete piece of junk, get rid of it," which is not exactly my opinion, as while i don't use it, I also don't think it is a "complete piece of junk."

When SAS was first released it was in my opinion the best antispyware app around. However since the release of MBAM I find little use for it as MBAM scans a lot quickers, and more imporantly of course has much better detection. If I'm dealing with an infected machine, MBAM is the first software I install. Unless there was an infection MBAM missed, I would not install SAS.

Also one thing I really did not like about SAS in the past was the "limited time" special they had on thier website. The same limited special lasted for years. Highly misleading on their part to advertise it as being limited, and something you would expect with rouge software, not from a legitiamte antimalware product.

However to be fair, Malwarebytes continue to have a licensed and renamed version of MBAM sold by a company whose whole business seems to built around misleading people.

5. SUPERAntiSpy

SUPERAntiSpy Developer

We having a new pre-release out that solves the memory usage during updates - it also makes the update process much faster! When you say the downloads are slow can you provide some details? We server off a CDN (Content Delivery Network) so it should be very fast as it will find the closest server to your location.

6. SUPERAntiSpy

SUPERAntiSpy Developer

We have never had such a report - we would like to assist you to see what might have happened - would you like us to help?

7. SUPERAntiSpy

SUPERAntiSpy Developer

Amit - you are incorrect in your statement of "All it does is seat(sic) (sit) around and catch cookies" - we catch lots of malware and having researchers doing definitions around the clock - no single product can catch everything on a given day so you need multiple products, but SUPERAntiSpyware still catches items other products miss - we process thousands of samples a day.

For example, just yesterday alone we released 8 definition updates:
    http://www.superantispyware.com/definitions.html

We also received a 5-star review from CNET Download.com - not an award a "junk" product would receive.

8. superssjdan

superssjdan Registered Member

I think most people who bash the product are bashing the paid version of the product with realtime protection.Have never used SAS other than an on demand scanner once in a blue moon,as i do with mbam and Hitmanpro.Most cite SAS poor performance in the mrg testshttp://www.blog.mrg-effitas.com/
    I am not a huge fan of the mrg tests,even when they establish that the solution i am using is great according to them.At the end of the day,it's all about how a solution performs for the user in the users environment.no amount of testing will ever replicate that.Most people forget that the realtime protection in paid version of mbam and sas are designed to be complimentary to your existing protection,not be used as a standalone solution.When tested they are tested as standalone.When all is said and done,it's usually the users fault that they get infected 99% of the time as not too many solutions will ever protect you if the user is dumb enough to give something permissions to get in.A little common sense goes A LONG way.

9. SUPERAntiSpy

SUPERAntiSpy Developer

We typically don't do "well" in these "tests" - meaning they test a small group of samples, at one instance in time. We have worked with MRG and they are a great company, we always strive to catch as many threats as possible.

It's not about how you do on one day on one set of samples - it's about the continued effort and constant updating and research - we have a very streamlined and efficient research process that allows us to process a large number of samples per day and often catch zero-day threats as they appear due to our multiple sources of samples and harvesting techniques.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2012
  10. silat

silat Registered Member

I have been following the "hate" threads about SAS for sometime now.
    And I wonder why Nick does not take the questions and accusations headon and give a direct and clear response.
    I guess this post is advise for Nick.
    Nick you would be much better served if you deal with peoples issues with your product and its' advertising in an honest and straight forward manner.
    Now please do not take this wrong as I am a paid subscriber to your software and have nothing but good thoughts about it.

11. SUPERAntiSpy

SUPERAntiSpy Developer

What am I not being honest and straight forward about? We no longer have one day specials, we offer purchase specials just as every company does - I am happy to answer anything anyone has a question about.

12. silat

silat Registered Member

The portable SAS comes to mind. Now remember Im just pointing out issues that seem to have created a great divide for you with your customers.

13. SUPERAntiSpy

SUPERAntiSpy Developer

We have two versions of the portable scanner:

1) The home version is the free edition with pre-packaged definitions so you can download and immediately scan without an Internet Connection. It can be stored on a USB drive and deployed/run on any system.

2) The technicians edition is a version that can be licensed and does not need to be installed and uninstalled. It can be stored on a USB drive and deployed/run on any system.

14. roger_m

For starters there was the "Limited Time Offer - Expires Soon" to purchase an addional licence for $9.95, which lasted for at least five years, so I am confused at to where the "expires soon" tag applies. Even now is listed as a "**SPECIAL OFFER**"

I'm not certain of this as it's been a while, but if I recall correctly there may have been another webpsge which users were directed to upon installing SAS, which offered them a limited discount, which also lasted for several years.

Please don't take this as a personal attack Nick, as I believe that SAS is a very good product. However making misleading statements like this, is something that is usually only done publishers of rogue software, not from the publisher of trustworthy antimalware software.

15. SUPERAntiSpy

SUPERAntiSpy Developer

The discounted price IS a **SPECIAL OFFER** - we're not hiding that nor being misleading - you can purchase at that price when that offer is presented.

There was never a webpage that launched with a limited time offer upon installation of the software.

How is offering a discount to our users and letting them buy the Professional product at a large discount deemed "bad". Every (many) stores in the (USA) have discounts that run year round, as well as never ending specials. No one complains about that, and they happily purchase at a discount.

16. roger_m

Discounts are good, however personally I think it is misleading to have an offer stated as "expires soon," but does not actually expire.

17. SUPERAntiSpy

SUPERAntiSpy Developer

It expired over a year ago, FYI and has not been posted since.

18. roger_m

Yes, but the limited time offer lasted for around five years!

19. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

So the contest is fixed?

20. malexous

malexous Registered Member

Edit: blog post linked to deleted.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2012
  21. roger_m

Thanks for the link. It is always good to hear both sides of the story.

22. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Indeed!

23. sweater

sweater Registered Member

Philippines, the Political Dynasty Capital of the
    Why is it that the program folder SAS size are 158 MB while MBAM is only 12.6 MB? It's huge, gosh.

What's the effect of huge size differences if it's detection rate are not that excellent? Maybe, more better if SAS will reduce it's size just like MBAM. ;)

24. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

Yeah I had asked the very same question once to SAS Support and got a reply that MBAM actually also occupies the same space or more but is spread out through different directories.

25. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

I believe I'm not incorrect. I was a huge fanboy of SAS. Then it started deteriorating. I waited and it fall further. And never got up. I became frustrated. I tried to give suggestions to SAS Support Team on memory usage, scanning speeds, incremental updates,etc. They would politely reply they are considering them. Then nothing. Scanning speeds improved but nothing else moved a bit. MBAM offered incremental updates for pro version. SAS does not give a dime. Claims to be increasing update speeds. Memory usage is no big deal for today's pcs. But for a spyware app SAS eats up unusual amount of memory. You know what I'm still waiting for SAS to improve and will take back SAS if it goes uphill again. But I just cannot conceal my anger and frustration. :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.