Is SuperAntiSpyware Legit?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by True Orient, Jun 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SUPERAntiSpy

SUPERAntiSpy Developer

I appreciate all of your concerns and feedback with SUPERAntiSpyware being associated with "rogue" applications. The problem is, the rogue products model the real products. As a software developer, I create software that is easy to user for users - our GUI really does not look like any of the rogue products - they all use flashy graphics, non-standard custom windows controls, etc. Our GUI conforms to the Microsoft guidelines for effective GUI design - why do we do this? - because Microsoft has spent millions and millons on research as to what is easy for people to use - so I transfer that research into my own products.

As for the web page - we need to provide users the information - the rogue products fade off quickly and as ours continues trusted, it becomes important to provide users appropriate information - the rogue sites don't have "depth", meaning, they don't feature full documentation, typically don't have in-depth FAQ's, etc. All of which we do.

As for the name, we have a series of products : SUPERAdBlocker, SUPERAntiSpyware, SUPERFileRecover and soon to be others - so we are building a line of brands.

The rogue products will fade, SUPERAntiSpyware will not as we are behind the product - having the words "AntiSpyware" in the product tell what it does - and that is critical in a name.

Nick Skrepetos
    SUPERAntiSpyware.com
    http://www.superantispyware.com

2. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

Their webpages, GUIs, icons are so nice (cheap), that they look legit for common people.

3. nicM

nicM nico-nico

Hi Nick, and thank you for replying, I was really interested in knowing your opinion about what I said above.

However I'm not sure my post(s) were properly written, my intention was NOT to evoke that SAS *could be* associated with, *was* associated with -or whatever - "rogue" apps, in any way.

I repeat SAS is in my opinion a very good app, specially good in detection and removal. Far the best from all free spyware cleaner.

My purpose was just to mention it's "lack of identity", due to it's name (quite impersonal - but as you said, "super-#" is common to your line of product), and it's desktop icon. Not a big deal of course, it doesn't prevent the program to work very well ;) . And I didn't ever criticize the GUI!

As for the webpage matter, I for one noticed the technical background we can see on your site, which does for sure distinguish this site from the website of fake antipywares (that's why I didn't understand TheTOM_SK comment about that).

Then my points were just cosmetic issues IMO, which are making SAS *looking* ordinary , and could be improved. Nothing less, nothing more.

Cheers,

nicM

4. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Hi, Nick! I can guess that the shange of name is not posssible, but at least GUI can be improved, just to make it more elgant looking.
    BTW, at least Icon must eb changed, it does not loook good at all. Any how, it,s my feeling.
    BTW, I tried it against exe files of Winfixer, SpyAxe and UnSpyPc, it did blocked all three but but some components were still installed in spite of blocking.

Also a new feature (of like web shield etc) that will block access to spy ware site will be nice- SpySweeper has this function.

5. RCGuy

RCGuy Registered Member

I agree with what nicM is saying, but what TheTOM_SK is saying is sometimes right too. I once was duped into downloading a rogue anti-spyware program(even though my spider sense was slightly tingling ;) ), because it looked fairly legit. But then on the other hand, there's the bland looking, but legitimate, CleanCache program from non other than ButtUglySoftware.com. ;)

6. nicM

nicM nico-nico

OK, I see now ;) .

But "great webpages", hm :doubt: , for their potential victims only.

When you see the "ErrorSafe" fake scanner showing a popup saying a scan "found 75 355 errors" in the time of 1 second and a half, it is difficult to stay serious :D , Lol.

Cheers,

nicM

7. SUPERAntiSpy

SUPERAntiSpy Developer

Thanks for your comments. The GUI is basically going to stay the same, with the exception of the upcoming sheilds other other features. The idea of the GUI is functionality - as I stated above, that is why I have adhered to the basic Microsoft design standards for Windows applications. The idea of Windows is to have applications that all "behave" in standard ways so that a person does not have consult help and documentation to be able to use the product. Many of the "flash" and "graphic" style GUI's are hard for users to navigate and they have to learn a new GUI with each product.

What components were left behind after you scanned with SUPERAntiSpyware? If you would like to send me the install packages you used, I would be happy to install them and run our system difference tool to ensure we pick up any traces left behind.

Nick Skrepetos
    SUPERAntiSpyware.com

8. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Hi Nick, u can go to stopbadware.org and there u can find links to winfixer, UnSpyPc and SpyAxe and try to run the exe files of each with ASA in real time.

9. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I insatalled the free version of SAS on the 11th. So far it has not updated. I have attempted to update manually.
    Are there no updates since the 11th?

Thanks,
    Jerry

10. SUPERAntiSpy

SUPERAntiSpy Developer

Jerry,

SUPERAntiSpyware updates it rules and definitions on a daily basis. You can see the database versions on the main screen. Our new version alerts users of the download and shows a progress bar so you know it's downloading new ones. The 3.2 version is in pre-release testing and will be available shortly.

You can see the dialy updates here:
    http://www.superantispyware.com/definitions.html

You can see the complete update history here:
    http://www.superantispyware.com/definitionupdatehistory.html

Nick Skrepetos
    SUPERAntiSpyware.com

11. Rilla927

Rilla927 Registered Member

I installed it on the 11th also and it updated once after the install thats it. When I check for updates there were none since.

Definition Database: Core 2979----Trace 1075.

12. SUPERAntiSpy

SUPERAntiSpy Developer

SUPERAntiSpyware updates it rules and definitions on a daily basis. You can see the database versions on the main screen.

You can see the dialy updates here:
    http://www.superantispyware.com/definitions.html

You can see the complete update history here:
    http://www.superantispyware.com/definitionupdatehistory.html

Nick Skrepetos
    SUPERAntiSpyware.com

13. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Thanks, Nick and Rilla,

I did not know where to look to see the status on the program. I had just tried to manually update, and it said no new updates. When I went to the "Scan" I do see that it has updated.
    Sorry for the confusion.

I like the program thus far. I especially like the update history of the the definitions. I have not noticed that detail for other AS that I have used. Maybe I don't know where to look for Counterspy and Spysweeper.

Thanks again,
    Jerry

14. muf

muf Registered Member

I beg to differ. I use SuperAdBlocker and i check manually for updates on a daily basis. At best i have retrieved an update once every 3 weeks. Your history of updates goes totally against my own record. Maybe there is a glitch with your server, or maybe SuperAdBlocker has a problem getting these updates. I noticed a couple of months back that i tried to update and for about a month i got nothing. Then i tried the update with SuperAntiSpyware and got an update. Looking at that update history, i am now suspecting that SAS is struggling to get the updates.

I would also like to know why the update process takes so long. I click update and my firewall alerts me. I click allow and then wait for about 20 seconds for SAupdate.exe to also want permission. Then when i allow this all it says is there are none. It updated today, but i've not had an update for must be three weeks and with the exception of a couple of days i've checked every day.

Over to you Nick...

muf

edit: For clearance. Just thought i'd mention that SuperAdBlocker contains a "slimmed down" version of SuperAntiSpyware. It shares the same definition database, so if SAS updates, so should SAB.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2006
  15. Rilla927

Rilla927 Registered Member

Okay, so it is up to date. Sorry! My mistake. When I would check manually for updates it never updated so that's why I thought it wasn't updated. Visually I never seen it update. All is well!

I do like the program though!

Thanks Nick for your in put to set it straight. Keep up the good work!

16. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I notice that the Pro version has this capability.
    Quote:
    First Chance Prevention examines over 50 critical points of your system each time your system starts up and shuts down to eliminate threats before they have a chance to infect and infiltrate your system. End Quote

One potential problem is that at start up various programs are undating and making check. They include firewall, anti-virus, anti-trojan, and others running in real time.

I am wondering if the First Chance Prevention slows the start up very much. I have my AS applications, except Spyware Guard, prevented from starting when Windows starts, and later I might call them up.

Those who use it, I would appreciate your assessment.

ADDED
    After checking updates I left the free version "on" and checked the mem usage. It was 26,500k. I wonder what it is doing to use memory since it is not blocking malware. The free version is only a scanner as I understand the site.

Thanks,
    Jerry

Last edited: Jun 15, 2006
  17. SUPERAntiSpy

SUPERAntiSpy Developer

Jerry,

The first chance prevention should not slow your boot time - you can always disable it if you don't want it to scan on boot.

The memory usage you are experiencing is standard. When we download, then parse our definitions, or you scan, it uses memory - Windows does not report the freed memory right away and will swap that unsed memory to disk, so it is not impacting your peformance at all.

Nick Skrepetos
    SUPERAntiSpyware.com

18. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Nick,

Thanks for the reply. I have not noticed any slowdown. I think that I would rather use a manual scan instead if I could do that instead and scan the same areas.
    It seems that everything wants to load, update and scan on boot.

I continue to like this program. I like the frequent updates. Most of the AS applications I have used do not necessarily update daily. I also appreciate that it targets trojans also. I think you have a winner there, and so do we.

Jerry

19. snapdragin

snapdragin Registered Member

As it is agreed that SuperAntiSpyware is a legitimate application, the main question in this thread has been answered. Many posts since then have turned into a direct vendor support dialog, which is best continued in their own forums or via their other available customer support mechanisms.

Regards,

snap

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.