Is Spybot Search & Destroy being targeted by its competitors?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by ronjor, Apr 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Judge Dee

Judge Dee Guest

i don't understand how S S&D can be incompatible with anything if Teatimer isn't running. Any clues?

2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Lets keep it on topic, which is not about other posters.

Pete

3. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

It's been some time since I last used S&D, but if the timer is turned off, is it not simply another on demand scanner? In that case then it SHOULDN'T conflict. Has anyone tried to turn off the timer and then install software from the companies claiming conflicts? There's got to be more to this situation, I'm not going to play along with the "singling out" theory. It makes no sense financially or even competitively, S&D isn't a threat to their profits.

4. Taliscicero

Taliscicero Registered Member

All i know is at one time K-Lab was detecting Spybots Immunization files as malware, But that was fixed ages ago. I think it may be an on-going fued between both companys because when the original issue came up both companys wanted each other to fix it :p

5. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

At least that's a plausible explanation, and, if true, K-Lab SHOULD be taken to task for it. But, I have a feeling we're not going to find out much.

6. Judge Dee

Judge Dee Guest

Yes, dw426. I've never run Teatimer on this computer. When I installed KIS, I got the same window as SpikeyB.
    I had to uninstall S S&D.

7. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

FYI. Although an older post, a good explanation of SDHelper & TeaTimer from the Safer Networking Forums.

8. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Hmm, well, heck I don't know then. It still makes no sense that it's purposeful.

9. lodore

lodore Registered Member

you can install spybout after you install kis just dont enable the teatimer.
    the warning is there so you cant complain to support that there computer keeps crashing after install kaspersky since they told you to remove spybot.
    why should kaspersky bend over backwards for a free program?
    surely spybot should make a version without the teatimer?
    or if the it detects an imcompatible application such as kaspersky then it could disable the teatimer and if you try to start it in options it will warn of imcompatibility?

i dono why we are making this personal. the article already stated the imcompatibilities with kaspersky are in the past now.
    maybe we should complain about an issue that still happerns aka mcafee and norton imcompatibilities with spybot.

10. Judge Dee

Judge Dee Guest

The only reason is that KIS is what I happened to install.
    I agree with you and dw426 that it's very hard to believe that it's a purposeful attack on Spybot.

Regards,

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.