Is Scheduling a Task Useless ???

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by jrude6, Jul 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jrude6

jrude6 Registered Member

Acronis Support writes:

"Please be aware that Acronis True Image 9.0 Home finalises media after writing backup archive to Cd or DVD disk and there is no way to additionally write anything else on this disc.".

My Question:

IF NOTHING FURTHER CAN BE WRITTEN TO THE DISK, HOW CAN ONE KEEP MAKING ADDITIONAL BACKUPS (including differential backups which require the presence of the original full backup)o_O

Acronis Support writes:

"You may create differential/incremental backup archive by the following scheme:

1) Put CD/DVD disc with full backup archive into drive;

2) Choose to create differential/incremental backup with source full backup placed on CD/DVD disc;

3) Choose destination place on CD/DVD drive;

4) When Acronis True Image 9.0 Home shows "nonempty media" message please replace disc in drive with blank unformatted disc and proceed backup creation."

My Question:

HOWEVER, This means that it is impossible to schedule an unattended differential backupo_O I do not understand: how does one then accomplish that?? What purpose does scheduling a backup then serve??

Finally, Acronis says that replacing an old FULL BACKUP with a new FULL BACKUP on a disk results in the deletion & replacement of the old backup. That does happen, but why does the "space" on the disk not reflect that: example - old backup is 300MB; new backup is 350MB. Used space on disk now reads 650MB. That does not seem to make sense.

Thanks for help.

2. srdiamond

srdiamond Registered Member

For backing up to media other than CDs or DVDs?

3. jrude6

jrude6 Registered Member

to srdiamond:

Acronis advertises that you can make backups (of all types) to CD & DVD.

Are you saying that this is not trueo_O

4. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

Off-topic/bash reply removed.

5. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

Another off-topic reply removed - any issues with staff actions may be taken up in private with admin.

6. crofttk

crofttk Registered Member

I can see how Acronis' statement applies to writing directly DVD-R or DVD+R media. Where do you find these quotes, so that interest parties can establish the proper context for them ?

One could continue writing until full and overwriting if using UDF/DLA formatted DVD or CD rewriteable media.

Which specific type of media are you trying to use or planning on using ?

7. jrude6

jrude6 Registered Member

The following was a message I sent to Acronis Support via e-mail:

As you can see, I specifically mentioned DVD+RW. Their response was:

<snip>

I also sent this message via e-mail Support:

I have yet to receive a satisfactory response to this question.

Thanks for any insight.

edited to remove private communication from another party - Detox

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 26, 2006
  8. crofttk

I expect ATI wrote to your media in direct mode and finalized the write as Acronis Support says. Since it's RW media, I suggest you erase the media.

I would further suggest that, if you want to store on DVD, and have the hard drive space (internal or external), format the DVD's as UDF or DLA, create the image files at 650MB or 2GB size on a hard drive and then copy the files to the formatted DVD+RW.

9. jhartmann

jhartmann Registered Member

while i can't imagine any reason for finalizing backups (they don't boot!) it's only about those backups that acronis does on non-udf formatted disks. safe backups are written on udf-formatted dvd-rams.

10. jrude6

jrude6 Registered Member

How does one format disks as UDF or DLAo_O Thanks.

As I said in my past post (edited out by moderator - evidently this moderator does not believe in free speech: I was only referring to a solution with other than ATI software!!)

11. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

This is the Acronis support forum - other software can be (and is) discussed in the software & services section. Obviously, management of this privately owned forum has nothing whatsoever to do with "free speech." Either way, any issues with staff actions may be taken up in private with staff or admin.

12. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I find the scheduled tasks very usefull and a much safer method than doing a manual backup.
    Possible mistakes in choosing the wrong source and/or the wrong destination can be avoided in a scheduled tasks and you only have to do it once.
    I start my scheduled tasks manually, because I don't use my computer on fixed hours.
    Unfortunately ATI isn't able to remember the backup date and time of scheduled tasks.
    See my forgotten thread :
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=140405

Last edited: Jul 26, 2006
  13. jhartmann

jhartmann Registered Member

With a udf read/write driver like InCD. DVD-RAMs are normally factory-formatted. (You still need a driver to write on them. Vista has a driver built in.)

Nope. Speech is speech. The forum is only the building in which the speeches are spoken. Ask your lawyer.

14. crofttk

Your lawyer will tell you that the owner of a forum can throw you out for no reason and he only writes the TOS down for you as a matter of courtesy.

15. shieber

shieber Registered Member

My only complaint about ATI Scheduled Tasks is that they won't wake a computer from S3 standby to run. So I just use the Windows Task Scheduler to run the ATI tasks.

Scheduled tasks are a great way to go. For the reasons listed already, and, well, it's scheduled, it's automatic -- the matchine is doing the routine work instead of the user.

16. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Right. That's the true meaning of scheduled tasks. I didn't buy a computer to work harder, let the computer do all the work and it's safer too. Nothing but the best for my backups, they keep me away from even MORE WORK. :)

17. jrude6

jrude6 Registered Member

I cannot do an UNATTENDED (with computer ON) scheduled task. I presumed that "unattended" is what scheduling is all about! However, ATI ALWAYS ejects a DVD disk (whether for an initial or subsequent backup) & then asks me to insert a disk (I then close the drawer with the SAME disk) & then proceeds with the backup. Because of this, scheduling is USELESS.

I have written & posted to Acronis asking for an explanation, but I have received no answer. If anyone can enlighten me, I would appreciate it. Thanks. <snip>

edited to remove off-topic remark - Detox

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 27, 2006
  18. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

You are wrong - Croft has already answered you on this and he is quite correct. No need for me to consult anyone; I've studied the law for myself. Any other issues with moderating may be taken up in private with staff or admin.

19. jrude6

jrude6 Registered Member

Detox seems to think that COMPARING ATI to other backup software is "OFF TOPIC" & proceeds to delete any such comments. THIS IS RIDICULOUS!! The purpose of a forum is to freely discuss anything related to the topic at hand. Is Detox being paid by Acronis?? He certainly wants NOTHING said which might put questions in users minds regarding the value of ATI.

As long as a post is not OFFENSIVE, it should not be edited. Period.

20. Mem

Mem Registered Member

The moderators have a difficult enough time without this type of misunderstanding. As a regular user and just coming to this forum it took me a while to figure out the structure of the boards for posting as well. If you look at the thread location it is Official Acronis Support Forum-> Acronis TI Product Line. This is not a general forum for comparisons - that could be placed in Software, Hardware and General Services most likely. Notice that your specific ATI support issues are not deleted by the mod.

21. jrude6

jrude6 Registered Member

Right... Those issues are also not responded to when they involve (1) issues which point to mis-advertising or (2) issues which Support cannot even find a solution to.

22. crofttk

I think you need to consider in a less than superficial manner which side your bread is buttered on and who has the butter dish. "Should" is a nonsense word in this context. This is not a democracy, plain and simple. Stay or go, your choice, but you'll find it a much more useful place if you learn the ground rules, written AND non-written the same as most everyone else here has. Anything else and you're just butting your head against a wall.

Just a little friendly advice but I don't want to play moderator so I hereby now bow out of this topic.

23. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

Since you have chosen to continually take your own thread so far off-topic, it is now closed. I have told you many times that issues can be taken up in private, but even then you will not be allowed to post your "plugs" for other software in this forum. The others here have explained it rather well IMO.

As far as me being paid by Acronis, I'm afraid you missed the swing on that one. Im a volunteer like all the other Global Moderators here. Anyway; enough of all this off-topic. You can post according to the rules in regards to your actual Acronis support issues or you can not post.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.