is running Malwarebytes with viper anti-virus overkill

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by winterlord, Dec 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

Did you see Marcin's response in the comments section of his blog I'm referring to? I did post it in another thread, but if you missed it, let me know.

2. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Okay, if you have it handy, I don't.
    Much appreciated. ;)

3. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

This is the post where I linked to his blog page where he answers a question in the comments section. His reply is to John near the end of the page.

4. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Thanks, TonyW.
    Kinda' hard to believe...
    Really?
    No other protection?
    He doesn't mention any of the things members here use, even when they forgo 3rd party apps.
    He must use some protection besides MBAM.

5. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

Marcin probably means he doesn't use a traditional AV in addition to MBAM. He notes his parents use Avast along with MBAM, but he doesn't. Since he's dealing with malware regularly, I wonder if he has some form of rollback/sandboxing/virtualisation techniques to revert changes. Either that or he's totally confident in his own product, but like you, I suspect other measures must be in place.

6. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Maybe we can get him to elaborate. :cool:

7. mrpink

mrpink Registered Member

I doubt that he even uses MBAM realtime

8. RubbeR DuckY

RubbeR DuckY Developer

Nope, nothing else. Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, Google Chrome, and a whole lot of common sense. Part of the reason I do this is so if I find malware, I can submit it to our research team right away and not have it intercepted. Luckily our Website Blocking module lets me do this easily -- by just writing down the address.

9. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Hey Marcin
    Thanks for stopping in.
    So the Website Blocking means you're running in real-time.
    What about a firewall?
    Windows?
    Any imaging/backup software?

10. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

There has to be some sort of recovery if you come across malware that you then report to your research team. By recovery I mean either by restoring from a clean image or your browsing session is sandboxed so any malware is contained then terminated.

We are only curious as to how you maintain a clean system when all you are protected by is your own very excellent product. Time and again we hear people say a layered approach is key to good computer security; since you are in the computer security industry, we just wondered how you deal with malware on a day-to-day basis.

11. HKEY1952

HKEY1952 Registered Member

Respectfully, are you referring to the Google Chrome Operating System or the Google Chrome Browser?

If you are referring to the Google Chrome Browser are you suggesting, inferring, that the Google Chrome Browser is
    allowing all of this Malware through and that Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is detecting what the Google Chrome Browser
    is allowing through? If so, I can not believe that statement or in that practice of finding Malware.

Please elaborate.....

Also, how do you; just writing down the address? or do you mean; just type in the address?

Please elaborate.....

Contrariously, I do believe that Malwarebytes Anti-Malware plus Google Chrome Browser plus Vipre Antivirus yields:
    one Ironcald setup without overkill.

EDIT: completeness

HKEY1952

Last edited: Jan 2, 2012
  12. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

I think he means the Chrome browser; in another thread he said:

13. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

mbam doesn't work in google os....so he meant google browser......he also use nothing else which means win firewall is on.......think he is using win 7 so backup and restore is also on........

14. RubbeR DuckY

RubbeR DuckY Developer

Yup, Google Chrome. Malwarebytes Anti-Malware catches everything I ever come in contact with with heuristics. I then unquarantine and send to the research team. I make sure I unquarantine carefully because if you unquarantine and reboot then the autorun entries re-execute.

Periodically I check with HijackThis to make sure nothing new has shown up.

15. HKEY1952

HKEY1952 Registered Member

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware has an really nice Web site. Very well laid out, easy to navigate, informative, with
    an array of abundant screenshots depicting Malwarebytes Anti-Malware PRO.

The comparison chart advertising the feature differences between Malwarebytes Anti-Malware PRO and
    Malwarebytes Anti-Malware FREE is also very informative displaying itemized, optional Flash Demo presentations, that
    accompany each technology feature listed.

According to the Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Products Web page, on the horizon, and coming soon, awaits the
    Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Enterprise Edition of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware that promises to protect business sectors
    with advanced features tailored to individual systems.

Beside the current Malwarebytes Anti-Malware products, Malwarebytes Anti-Malwarewe also offers an array of useful,
    free applications to help speed up and secure computers. Among the useful, free applications are:

FileASSASSIN: Aids in Eradicateing ANY locked file from the operating system.
    RegASSASSIN: Aids in Wipeing out parasitic registry keys and values with two simple steps.
    StartUpLite: Aids in Speeding up the computers' startup time.

Any security vender that can sucessfully secure an enterprise environment against malicious hackers and code is an
    good indication that the security vender exists talent and intelligence in regards to Information Assurance (IA).

HKEY1952

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.