Is Prevx1 alone enough?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by passerby, Jan 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. passerby

passerby Guest

As they claim that they can stop all kinds of malware (viruses, trojans, worms), is it really really enough then, if I just install prevx1 as the only on access anti-malware? In other words, if I buy Prevx1, I don't need to buy other anti-virus product, is it enough?

It would be quite wonderful though, if it's enough, so maybe I'll just buy prevx1 and use one of the free firewalls... Please pardon me if I post this in the wrong place, and if it's already been asked

2. sosaiso

sosaiso Registered Member

I personally do not think it is enough. I run it with a firewall and AV, just to be on the safe side. Nothing is complete control these days.

3. hollywoodpc

hollywoodpc Registered Member

Prevx 1 IS enough . However , Is any antimalware program to be trusted 100 % ? You could purchase Prevx1 and use fee antimalware scanners , on ocassion , to make sure all is well . Layers are the best defense because no one program should be trusted completely . Prevx1 is as good a program at keeping nasties out . BUT , again , would you trust ANYTHING 100 % ?

4. Notok

Notok Registered Member

I would say that it depends on your habits and how comfortable you are with the generic protection. The database is pretty large, but it's contents are more likely to be similar to Ewido or SpySweeper, although that's most of what's out there right now. I would say that it would allow you to use something like a free AV without sacrificing detection rates, though, and then you have the behavior blocking on top of that :) Same goes with a firewall, you could use it for outbound protection and use one of the really good, free, inbound-only firewalls. They are also still adding a lot of stuff to Prevx.

Personally I use Prevx1 with an AV, but there are people that don't, and who knows what things will look like when it comes time to renew my AV subscription. My advice would be that if there's any doubt, start off with one of the free scanners and see how it goes. Just keep in mind that the AV will detect malware before Prevx1, so just because the AV catches something doesn't mean that Prevx1 wouldn't.

5. passerby

passerby Guest

Thanks for all your opinions, ppl. I've been looking for a new security solution since my first rootkit experience. I was using NIS2005 when my computer got infected by some trojans which killed all my security software (including norton). So, when I found out about this prevx1, which claims that it'll be able to block all kinds of malware, I'm thinking of buying it. However, my budget won't allow me to buy 2 security softwares :(

well, maybe ewido free would be a good backup to provide another layer of security...

6. sosaiso

sosaiso Registered Member

Might you want to consider Antihook? If it's rootkit prevention you want, you might want to learn about something along the lines of AH... Free, and good protection, though not excellent, and not for those who "set and forget".

7. hollywoodpc

hollywoodpc Registered Member

Great idea to use Ewido for on demand as a free backup . You should be fine that way . A2 Squared is another freebie you can also use with those as an on demand scanner .

8. Notok

Notok Registered Member

You could always use it with a free antivirus.. AntiVir has good detection rates, Avast is full featured, and AVG is going to be the easiest to use. Prevx1's database will defniitely make up for what a free AV lacks, and in the end you'd still end up ahead. I agree that Ewido free is a good addition, no matter what way you decide to go :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.