Is Prevx good?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by truthseeker, Aug 31, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trjam

trjam Registered Member

I think you will find that, support has improved as the product. Patience can hopefully be measured in hours now.:D

2. PrevxHelp

PrevxHelp Former Prevx Moderator

Yeah I know... I've been preparing myself for it :D We'll see....

3. PrevxHelp

Hours??!! :D

(Yes, I guess so. I do sleep once in a while ;))

4. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Actually minutes.;)

5. simmikie

simmikie Registered Member

not what i am saying. since the product may not offer the control some groupies need to feel they are adequately ravaging/testing the product, they will in turn ravage PrevxHelp.

Mike

6. trjam

trjam Registered Member

point taken and has been discussed in detail with PrevxHelp. I think they are well prepared for it. We shall see.

7. PrevxHelp

I actually expected more ravaging during the beta period, but it's possible that it wasn't sent around to some of the more ravage-inclined users :)

In the end, I'll be sticking with my mantra that we want this product to work on your mom's PC and keep her happy/safe from all of those mysterious bad things floating around the internet (assuming your mom is not a security aficionado that also loves tweaking settings as well :D)

8. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

:D
    Mike OOI how long have you been on the books with PrevX: I know it's been a long time.
    I recall you and me and Notok and silver and 'ghiser' batting PrevX1 around late 2006 and despite all your disappointments you're still here.
    I know several of the peeps posting @CC had corporate type set-ups/reseller arrangements: be interesting to see how that pans out amongst the "tens of thousands of new users."
    Honestly: I hope this works as promised and we get back on an even run.
    LOL: Having said that: having not had enough time to test the beta, I'll prolly stay away and watch for a while...:D

Last edited: Nov 13, 2008
  9. trjam

trjam Registered Member

I also think you need to be open-minded and compare Prevx and its products from today forward. A lot of things were learned from the past and they are very, very, aware of it. But unfortunatly I cant talk more,,,,,,,yet.;)

10. EraserHW

EraserHW Malware Expert

I must admit I haven't seen this post at all :D

Yes, of course I'm still here ;)

I wrote that sentence in the "About me" page on my personal website when I opened it more than 2 years ago :) Then I updated it with informations on my new job and totally forgot to remove that sentence :)

Thank you :D Just removed :)

Btw: That e-mail is my personal one, not the official Prevx one :)

11. EraserHW

EraserHW Malware Expert

You're underestimating pc knowledge of our moms :isay: (Well, ok, maybe overestimating it :D)

12. Threedog

Threedog Registered Member

There was a betao_O :eek:

13. simmikie

hey Longboard, other than Online Armor, i have not been immersed to such a degree in any other product/organization, and my involvement ended with OA when i turned to the dark side (Comodo).

i have always been a believer in the Prevx concept and what as an organization i believe they want to accomplish. the disconnect for me is the standoffish disengagement with the end-user, which has been discussed ad nauseum.

as far as i am concerned the corner has been turned via the tenacity of PrevxHelp, with respect to end-user engagement. product wise...the promised land is very near. :argh:

ps, absolutely no need to hang back, really! dive right in, no sharks in the water, absolutely amazing!

Mike

14. Threedog

Most of what simmikie said. But the future is almost here. :D

15. trjam

trjam Registered Member

same here. I was one that always love the concept of Prevx and thought it was one of the most intriquing products created. But yeah, I became disillusioned along the way and a pretty harsh critic at times. If they can convert me, which they have, they have created something that brings that old Prevx feeling forward. A really great and inovative product.

16. Threedog

I was somewhat harsh. I was more worried that they were going to abandon the detection concept for cleanup. I never had any problems with 2.0 it always did the trick and was almost always locked and loaded in my setup.

17. Longboard

Funny you should mention that: I was the one who sent it to Scott Finnie re "Firewall of the year" .
    ( lol, just edged out Comodo back then)
    Echo.
    Great description: tenacity :thumb:
    OK you two: enough sucking up. :D
    Wouldn't say never any problems, but always resolved, and always on here too.
    ( except when I;m doing some complicated install ...:blink: )
    So, for me this thread is prolly over: said prolly more than was needed, used more than my share of bandwidth. Master of stating the obvious o_O
    See u at the upgrade threads.
    :thumb:

18. simmikie

here is my fear, a repeat of the past,

marketing is going to make exagerrated claims, as to the effectiveness of P3. there will be no effective measurement by the end-user of the verasity of the claims, and Prevx will fail as they did with ver 1 and 2 to have credible 3 rd party testing of the product to support performance claims. P3 will likely fail traditional testing (though i don't know this for sure) ie leaktest, folks will hammer P3 as nothing more than marketing, Prevx will retreat into it's shell.

Prevx, you absolutely must provide credible 3rd party testing for the large chunk of folk that don't even know what they don't know.

Mike

19. Longboard

Said I'd stay out, but have to say: great post Mike.

20. PrevxHelp

I completely agree, and we are all aware of this. The problem is that it IS difficult to test our products/design. However, I think that a lot of AVs are now moving into "the cloud", so, antivirus testing is going to be forced to adjust. As <soon> as this happens, we will be first in line to be tested :) Until then, we're going to look into less conventional third parties. (not av-test.org/avcomparatives for now as they conceptually do not work)

The main problem, as I've stated in the past, is that we are looking to block new threats. So, how do you test detection of that? Well, you take a snapshot of the AV, prevent it from updating or downloading new definitions, and scan with it a month later.

Therein lies the problem. <All> of our definitions are web based. We simply cannot snapshot the definitions as they are all dynamic, so, there is no way to scientifically test it. Really, the only way to test it is going to be user reviews and independent organizations that test it against new threats happening right now rather.

I somewhat doubt there will ever be a way around that.... but I hope it is clear why it is this way.

21. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

PrevxHelp, out of all the programs I've used, the support received by you has been outstanding. :thumb:

Your service/assistance alone is worth its weight in gold. :)

22. PrevxHelp

Thank you very much :D :D

23. Threedog

I second and third that motion.

24. Dark Star 72

Dark Star 72 Registered Member

Another + vote :thumb: :thumb:

Will the new site, announcement still be happening today?

25. PrevxHelp

I've yet to hear otherwise, so, I'm imagining it is still going on today. I think the site is planned for "tonight" which could be any range of hours depending on the timezone.

(On a side note: I know our web designer reads Wilders. If you are reading this now - get back to work and get the site out!! :D)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.