Is Prevx good?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by truthseeker, Aug 31, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Threedog

Threedog Registered Member

You have my permission to release the beta to me. :D

Hmmm, there is an idea....see if Prevx is a publicly traded company...buy 51% of the shares...release the beta to myself ahead of everyone else...and come here and tease everyone about it. Oh...an I wont forget a raise for Prevx Help & Eraser. :D

2. PrevxHelp

PrevxHelp Former Prevx Moderator

:D No complaints! :D

3. EraserHW

EraserHW Malware Expert

Me neither :D

4. GES/POR

GES/POR Registered Member

Where can i buy these shares?

5. PrevxHelp

We are privately held :D

6. lordpake

lordpake Registered Member

@PrevxHelp, out of curiousity, did anyone ever try/manage to replicate this?

My interest is to know if I have deeper system issues :)

7. PrevxHelp

Yes, sorry for not responding. We have reproduced a similar issue and this is the reasoning I've gathered:

Our CSI self protection is quite detailed and protects against all known termination leaktests (SPT, APT, etc.). Because of the way it locks down its memory, it could interfere with memory scanners or programs designed to get around locked memory. Because KIS is most likely trying to analyze memory of running processes, we are interfering with it, either causing KIS to crash the system or CSI to crash the system (at that point, either could be to blame).

KIS actually will not install if CSI exists on the system, so, its possible that they're aware of the incompatibility. However, we have been hardening the stability of self protection to hopefully defend against BSODs caused by unexpected access to our memory.

We have a new build planned for late this week/early next week which should improve the interaction, however, self protection is the one aspect of CSI which would tend to be incompatible with other security solutions (as only one product can generally be completely protected on the system at once).

8. lordpake

lordpake Registered Member

:) Thanks for the info.

9. GES/POR

GES/POR Registered Member

Any updates? :)

10. PrevxHelp

None yet - still working on everything :D

11. Biscuit

Biscuit Registered Member

Prevx2 needed a special rule in ISA Server to allow it access to the Internet. Without the rule, Prevx2 appeared very unstable.

Will Prevx3 also need this rule?

Has Prevx3 been tested in a networked environment with ISA Server?

(Prevx reseller)

12. PrevxHelp

I'm not familiar with ISA server, but I'd imagine it would require a rule to allow it to get out, especially for updates to save the hassle of having to whitelist it every time we change the file.

Our internet communication is really not much out of the ordinary compared to normal apps, so, I wouldn't anticipate "that" much difficulty to allow it to function normally (the communication is very similar to a chat program, sending small packets to the server).

13. EraserHW

EraserHW Malware Expert

On a side note, Prevx3 prevented the infection (Gimmiv.A) that has come along with MS08-067 exploit ;)

14. Nett0pp

Nett0pp Registered Member

@Dirty

I can see u claim to have "enhanced" r00tkit detection.
    Does Prevx have major faults when it comes to buffer overflow expl0itz?
    I have tried Prevx on several pcz infected with primitive, and modified Rkits.

NONE OF THESE have been detected by your @nti malware product...
    Thats not good, or is it?

:thumb: :thumbd:

TCSP

15. PrevxHelp

Prevx2's rootkit detection is not as advanced as the detection in CSI. Have you tried CSI v3 against these rootkits?

We have yet to come across a rootkit which evades CSI's raw disk scanning, so, we'd be very interested in what rootkits we are missing.

16. PrevxHelp

And also, with regards to your buffer overflow exploit detection, what exploits are you using and what are we missing? It would be very helpful to receive a copy of the problematic samples so we can add detection if we miss them or so we can aid you to configure it to block the samples.

17. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

i never got the chance to try this program is it a hips or regular antivirus with a black list of malware?

18. PrevxHelp

Prevx 2 and Prevx 3 (unreleased) both monitor behavior and analyze it centrally within our database. We blend a number of different strategies to detect malware, including whitelisting, an extensive blacklist, behavior analysis, static analysis, heuristics, and sandboxing.

It isn't a HIPS and it isn't a regular antivirus - its more of a blend between the both, with an emphasis on new-threat detection rather than the antiquated threats most AVs tend to focus on.

Hope that helps :)

19. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

ok i see so it is like Drive Sentry:thumb:

20. PrevxHelp

Yes, except, (correct me if I'm wrong), DriveSentry relies on the opinion of its users to block files based on the "community" - however, we do it automatically on the database end (e.g., even if 5,000 hackers tell us that a file is good, we wouldn't mark it good until we can prove it is through manual or behavior analysis). This prevents a lot of exploitation/abuse and our automated malware analysis blocks thousands of threats as soon as they're found, rather then relying on users to answer prompts about them.

(Again, disclaimer: I haven't used DriveSentry so I'm not sure exactly how it works)

21. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

kind of but they also have a black/white list like prevx and about the community data base i am not to sure.

22. PrevxHelp

Ah ok :) The white/black listing only goes so far, however. We have literally millions of samples in our black list, and far far more in the whitelist, but conventional black listing is becoming less effective as the life cycle of infections gets smaller and smaller.

The ones in the middle of "obvious bad" (via signatures) and good are the hard ones for conventional AVs to find, however, that's where adaptive automated analysis comes into play and that's where community-based products really help as it gives the antivirus company the ability to analyze everything at a global level to look at infection and how they behave across the community.

23. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

it is or sounds promising,thanks for the explanation,maybe i will give a try:thumb: to see how it really works.when is the version 3 be out to try?

24. PrevxHelp

v3 is still undergoing changes (mostly surface level in the product, but there are a number of underlying changes going on in our servers/datacenters).

Our current estimates peg it being ready early November, but we haven't set an actual release date yet. I will definitely be keeping Wilders updated as we progress to a possible public beta -> RTM :D

25. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

Thanks for your good and fast info about prevx:thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.