Is possible: Free security setup - without antivirus

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by ocsi, Sep 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Boost

Boost Registered Member

Seriously,like I said,for 2 years,no issues.

You dont need a ton of software to protect yourself online,regardless of what some and maybe yourself believes to be true.

2. Spysnake

Spysnake Registered Member

It is certainly possible and sometimes even recommended.

The SUA + AppLocker/SPR + Windows Firewall combination recommended here is already pretty powerful. Throw in Sandboxie, EMET and browser-hardening, and you're all set. If nothing can run without your consent, then nothing can infect you. Adding even a external HIPS would probably be an overkill.

All features in the list are core Windows security utilities, SUA being your Standard User Account. AppLocker and SRP can be used when the user has a Business (Professional etc.) or Ultimate versions of Windows, through the Group Policy settings in Control Panel. Windows Firewall can work two-way if you so desire, and it is in fact one of the most powerful ones at the moment (who could have believed that in the XP days?). EMET is a small Microsoft program which can be added freely to any modern Windows version. Sandboxie can be used freely, though I recommend the paid version with lifetime license for the Forced Programs feature.

The SUA vs. Protected Admin has some good discussion in several threads, if you have problems going with standard account.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2011
  3. noone_particular

noone_particular Registered Member

A security package based that doesn't use an AV is not only possible, they're some of the most secure packages that you can build for Windows. These are based on default-deny. In its simplest form, it's a whitelist of the allowed applications on your PC, enforced by system policy, Windows built in tools, or 3rd party HIPS. Only the whitelisted applications can run. All others are blocked. When compared to default-permit based AVs, these packages are extremely light and have almost no performance impact on your PC. More comprehensive versions of default-deny can include specifying what other processes (applications or system executables) each allowed process can run (parent-child settings or dependencies). Default-deny can be applied to internet access and web content as well.

I've used default-deny enforced by a classic HIPS, a rule based firewall, and web content filtering for nearly 6 years now, with no problems of any kind. Configuring such a package does require some knowledge from the user for specifying what processes and parent-child settings should be allowed. The whitelist will also require maintenance when the system or software gets updated.

4. moontan

moontan Registered Member

i haven't used a real-time AV for almost 2 years now but i still like to scan the odd downloads with Hitman or Virustotal.

5. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

just a clasical hips will do the job as it covers the whole system ofcourse if you know how to manage a hips program;) if you do you are cover:thumb:

6. ocsi

ocsi Registered Member

Please tell me:
    1) How to set up and how to use Malware Defender?

2) Which of the security combinations you think would be better:
    a) Avast! Free + Sandboxie Pro + Windows XP SP3 Firewall (Roauter Firewal = WPA2-PSK) + Malware Defender
    or
    b) Avast! Free + Sandboxie Pro + Windows XP SP3 Firewall (Roauter Firewal = WPA2-PSK) + Shadow Defender

7. ExtremeGamerBR

ExtremeGamerBR Registered Member

Sandboxie + KeyScrambler Personal.

8. justenough

justenough Registered Member

Sandboxie & Privatefirewall
    and if on-demand scans with MBAM and HitmanPro find a problem, use Macrium Reflect or some other system image program

9. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

i will say sandboxie and mbam pro;)
    and about MD just run it in learning mode for the whole day and white list all your legit software then go back to normal mode then learn how to deal with the allow/denny alerts,this is the simple way to learn day by day;)

10. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

Q1 Yes, on a non online banking setup, surfing and email only
    Q2 Not sure there, why omit an AV? For me that would be the 3rd item I have

1) Router properly configured
    2) Image Backup system for C partition and for data partitions
    3) One of the top 5 AV's from AV Comparatives, real time scanning on!
    4) Top flite browser

11. guest

guest Guest

Take a look to my signature and remove Webroot SecureAnywhere

12. Konata Izumi

Konata Izumi Registered Member

1.) uhh, if you don't know how to play with softwares (especially HIPS they're all most likely the same) then I don't recommend you using HIPS at all, the prompts are too complicated. (a sample of a complicated HIPS prompt no clear conclusion here for the right answer... I just give up and just pick a lucky yes or no and we ended the discussion)

2.) wow you have paid softwares! lol. A or B both are nice.

if you plan to use Malware Defender I suggest you only use the Network protection module to filter outbound traffic. (like a semi-firewall)

Last edited: Sep 21, 2011
  13. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Copy the file to another partition and gw icon and protection is gone

14. JoeBlack40

JoeBlack40 Registered Member

Could you be more specific,but in the new thread opened by me?
    Here https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=308176
    I don't wanna hijack this thread.Thank you.

15. Spysnake

Spysnake Registered Member

Do I understand right if I assume that OP wants to add security to his setup, which already has a paid AV? It would be good to specify this as to prevent people recommending whole, new setups.

16. ocsi

ocsi Registered Member

Thank you.

17. ocsi

ocsi Registered Member

OK! Thank you.

18. Konata Izumi

Konata Izumi Registered Member

and seriously since you have paid sandboxie that alone is excellent security for me :D

just experiment and play with your sandboxie's settings it is very customizable...

you can create as many sandboxes as you want.

force each one program on each one of sandboxes.
    have another sandbox for testing apps.
    have another sandbox to forced drive letters from A:\ B:\, D:\ to Z:\

19. tomazyk

tomazyk Guest

I'm using sandboxing + execution control security combination. On winxp I used SBIE + SSM, now on Win 7 I use SBIE + MD. I think that this combination is much stronger than AV. In my opinion installing additional AV to this setup, dosn't add much to overall security.

20. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

your wellcome;)

21. raven211

raven211 Registered Member

Does MD function on x64 architecture?

22. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

Assuming we aren't counting the cost of Windows Ultimate? Sure. But it depends on the user.

If all you do is browser the web you can run IE9 in protected mode and full security "scaled up" no problem. No AV necessary, hell no anything necessary.

23. 1chaoticadult

1chaoticadult Registered Member

No it does not

I disagree. You still need a security setup configured.

24. raven211

raven211 Registered Member

Thanks

25. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

For what? Max IE9 settings blocks downloads and it's sandboxed and running in protected mode.

Socially engineered malware can get through, but application reputation will block something like 98% of it.

It's all about the user. If the user is able to browser safely and understand what reputation means, IE9 max protection is enough. If they aren't, yeah, add some other stuff.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.