Is Panda the Rodney Dangerfield of AV's?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Frank the Perv, Nov 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. As I look at some of the current articles, they sure do say good things about it.

PCWorld.com

The Results: Our Favorites
    Webroot's $30 Spy Sweeper 4.0 removed 90 percent of the spyware components--the highest score--which helped make it the Best Buy among the stand-alone applications. We recommend this product if you already have antivirus, antispam, and firewall software. Of the three all-in-one suites, we recommend Panda Software's $50 Platinum Internet Security 2005. Our pick as Best Buy among the suites, Panda scored the highest of the three in total spyware removal and second-highest among all products, removing 86 percent of the spyware components. Panda also removed spyware without forcing us to make case-by-case decisions.
    http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/article/0,aid,122496,pg,2,00.asp

------

gcn.com

GCN Lab Reviewer's Choice: Panda Platinum 2006 Internet Security
    Pros: Excellent detection, aggressively kills spyware
    Cons: Confusing registration process
    Performance: A+
    Features: A
    Ease of use: A-
    Value: A-

Pandas are cute, cuddly bears, right? Not Panda Platinum 2006. This $80 security program is as aggressive as an angry pit bull. It detected more malicious or potentially hazardous code than any of the competitors we tested, and did so reasonably quickly.

Right from the start, Panda gets tough on malware. When you install the software, it will scan memory and do a quick version of the system scan to make sure there are no existing infections. During this process it found our test spyware program and eliminated it before it was even in- stalled, something none of the other programs was able to accomplish.

Once installed, Panda continued to perform beyond expectations. It found two additional potential spyware programs on the test system that we did not even know were there, and were not detected by the other programs reviewed.

http://www.gcn.com/24_32/prod_reviews/37469-1.html

2. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

I can also confirm very good spyware detection and cleaning of Panda 2006 products. User friendly even for total newbie in all this malware stuff...

3. flyrfan111

flyrfan111 Registered Member

The problem with Panda is it's high cost and renewal and it uses ALOT of resources.

4. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I will agree that Panda is not for an older or slower computer as it does use quite a bit of resources. But it does work well on the newer comps with more ram and bigger processors.

5. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

I know your trying Av's all the time. Have you tried this one?

6. wildvirus88

wildvirus88 Registered Member

I agree... I have 256Mb RAM and 1.2G processor and it's high to the system...

7. maddawgz

maddawgz Registered Member

well dunno bout great i cant or couldnt get it to install even? VIRUS CHASer
    i scanned with kaspersky and nothing was found... so dunno wot its on about says i have it incompatiable programo_O i emailed panda nothing they wanted my email addy i said its a trial ....great support NOT!!!!!! R MD

8. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

Yep gave it a try but I prefer to run other av's Kav, Nav.TM;)

9. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

One of the other problems I found with Panda was the inability to manage the firewall properly, and assign ports correctly. However, this was a much older version of their Platinum product, which I'm sure is much improved now.

10. budfox

budfox Registered Member

Panda's new software has good detection rates with its heuristics, but it is a resource hog. I tried running it on an older laptop, and it all but stopped it.

Software venders need to realize a better line between security and resources.

11. maddawgz

maddawgz Registered Member

and that panda head shows up on shutdown reboot sucking the life out of the pc..its in everything go with TM !! :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.