Is oovoo safe?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by cheater87, Mar 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cheater87

cheater87 Registered Member

I checked it out on Virustotal/virusscan and it came up clean. I did uncheck the extra stuff it asks you if you want to install. So I didn't get that included as well. Windows Firewall did block some stuff from it and I got a message when I was uninstalling it. Here are the pics. I have since uninstalled it. Would this affect Windows updates or anything at all in any way?

Attached Files:

2. Victek

Victek Registered Member

What is it about ooVoo that made you think it wasn't safe? I've used it and as far I can tell it's just another peer to peer VOIP tool like Skype.

Nice pics, but you need to rotate them :)

3. cheater87

cheater87 Registered Member

The adware that comes bundled with it. I know you can just uncheck it but I'm not sure if it still would put anything on the PC still.

4. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Again from personal experience I haven't seen that behavior. I don't have any reason to believe that the ooVoo app bundle works any differently than all the other "bundle-ware" out there :) Still, it's always a good idea to pay close attention during installs and confirm that you don't wind up with new toolbars, search engines or home pages. By the way Winpatrol is a useful utility for monitoring those kinds of changes.

5. sooflymami

sooflymami Registered Member

When I was installing oovoo, the messsage appeared on my screen saying "Windows Firewall has blocked some features of oovoo" and I hit "cancel"button when that came up. That is the one that cheater87 posted a pic of. and when another message appeared saying "the following applications should be closed before continuing the install, I chose "Automatically close applications and attempt to restart them after set up is complete." and hit OK. But I already closed and clicked the "x" button for the set up section so I stopped basically because I was not sure if it was safe or dangerous. I was espcially scared because the Firewall thing popped up so I was trying to stop everything.

And when I was uninstalling oovoo, a message popped up on my screen saying, "Do you want to allow the following program to update software on this computer?" File origin: hard drive on this computer (the screen shot that cheater87 posted) I hit "Yes"

Is everything ok and nothing bad would happen? is it safe? I'm worried.

6. Victek

Victek Registered Member

If a program needs access through the firewall then it's appropriate for the firewall to warn you. That doesn't make the program malicious. After all ooVoo (and Skype and Google Talk, etc) all have to be allowed to send and receive through the firewall.

I believe the warning about allowing "the following program to update software on your computer" is coming from the fact that ooVoo is trying to update itself to the latest version. Note that verified publisher of file 904aad.msi is ooVoo LLC.

Why are you wanting to install ooVoo if you're worried it isn't safe?

7. sooflymami

"the following program to update software on your computer" appeared after I clicked "uninstall oovoo" and I hit yes but is it still o.k?
    and because all my friends have oovoo and I really wanted to use oovoo

8. Noob

Noob Registered Member

I use ooVoo in my cellphone and have no problems at all :D

9. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Some software uninstall routines use poor language. It doesn't make much sense to say "update" when you mean "uninstall" but I've seen it before and I suspect that's what you saw. If you're concerned run a scan with your security software (you have security software right? :) )

Since all your friends have ooVoo why not ask them if they've experienced any problems with it?

10. sooflymami

I scanned on my avast antivirus and nothing detected..also, how do I stop my webcam and everything after using video chat on oovoo? or would it automatically close webcam and microphone by itself?

11. Victek

Victek Registered Member

When you close ooVoo the webcam and mike will turn off automatically. My webcam has an LED so it's easy to see when it's On/Off. Maybe yours does too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.