Is Nod32 still good without email scanning?

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by newtothis, Feb 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. newtothis

newtothis Registered Member

How effective is my NOD32 setup since I'm not able to scan email..(I use AOL for email). :oops:
    Also, is "eMailpop2" an option?
    It's supposed to make non pop3's like AOL work so that I can use programs such as Microsoft® Outlook® and Eudora® to manage AOL e-mail.

2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

AMON will take care of scanning all attachments you save to the disk or attach to an email.

Theoretically, provided you use such a utility as you mentioned IMON should work as if you connected directly through POP3.

3. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

I choose not to use IMON even though I have a POP mail client. I never used the email scanner for the two av's I had during the years I had AOL for the same reason you can't use IMON. Never worried me. In fact, IMO, email scanners from any AV cause a lot more problems than they are worth. As Marcos stated, AMON will catch any file you save to disk and try to open if it is infected.

I tried a utility much like eMailpop2 when I had AOL as I wanted badly to be able to use Outlook Express because I intensely disliked the AOL mail client. It didn't work too well but that was over two years ago and I understand these types of programs work much better now. You really don't need to worry though. If you had Hotmail, Yahoo mail, IMON, and other AV pop3 mail scanners, would not scan those accounts either. AOL takes very good care of its users in respect to viruses.

4. VikingStorm

VikingStorm Registered Member

AOL also employs McAfee AV scanning on the mailservers now, so atleast two would have to fail.

5. nameless

nameless Registered Member

I have to differ with that assessment.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.