is NOD32 better than all other antivirus software

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 1 Forum' started by matmum, Apr 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. matmum

matmum Guest

hi

can anyone tell me whether its worth replace my existing antivirus software (norton av2003) with nod32 as i have had good things bout this software - but then again i have heard good things bout nortons - any help would be appreciated

2. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

matmum, you've entered the NOD32 support forum - most likely, all will say yes :D

It depends. In general, as for a perfect "In The Wild" antivirus, NOD32 has a track record that isn't matched. I for one would go for NOD32 for that reason.

In case you are looking for an antivirus coping with other malware as well, you are most probably better of with another antivirus.

That said: it's a matter of opinion. In my opinion, a layered defense is the best way to go. Thus: a top notch ITW antivirus - as NOD32 is - in conjunction with a top notch antitrojan - like for example TDS3. (presuming you do have a firewall and/or router installed as well).

regards.

paul

3. matmum

matmum Guest

hi

thanx for your reply - i am not sure what TDS3 is - could you please post a link to the product site - also the firewall i use is look n stop - is this something i shoud change as well

thnx :)

4. MickeyTheMan

MickeyTheMan Security Expert

TDS forums are here on the board.
    As for LNS, don't you dare changing ! :D You probably got one of the best firewall on the market. It's the one i use.

5. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

Here you go: TDS3.

I'm with Mickey here: LnS is IMO the way to go as for software firewalls.

regards.

paul

6. Q Section

Q Section Registered Member

Headquarters - London & Field Offices -Worldwide
    Hello matmum

it certainly seems that everybody has some opinion or another about their personal favorite program or application. What we want to say is that there is an independent organisation which tests anti-virus programs regularly on many different operating systems. They have found NOD32 as being a very superb anti-virus program and one that successfully catches more virus challenges than others. The organisation is called Virus Bulletin found here: http://www.virusbtn.com/vb100/archives/products.xml?table
    Please have a look and read the site a little then go to other forums and read how successful users are who have tried several others but found NOD32 to be the one they have decided upon.

Best wishes

HMSS Q Section

7. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

In my opinion both are superior antivirus. I sincerely believe however that NOD works better on older systems, like mine, much less slowing down of my antique system, faster and smoother. On a brand new modern pc I would think either one would give superior protection. Also consider a firewall, if you don't already have one, and a trojan scanner. Good luck, Acadia.

8. Technodrome

Technodrome Security Expert

NOD32 is BETTER!

As Paul mention above many people will think that we are biased towards NOD32 (which is not true) and ESET program will get more votes here.

Why NOD32 may be a better choice:

NOD32 had one of the best heuristic engines (with minimum FP) in the world!

During life of license, you are entitled for updates and program upgrades!

Fast Scanning Engine

Uses very low amount of system resources.

More features

More updates

Better/Proven virus detection

Technodrome

9. Tinribs

Tinribs Registered Member

Ditto the above, I believe many modern av's are capable of efficient ITW virus detection, but the combination of an unrivalled track record combined with extremely low resource useage sells itself.

:)
    Kev

10. octogen

octogen Registered Member

I also agree with Tinribs and Technodrome! NOD32 has an excellent history of detecting by heuristics nasties such as "ILoveYou", Malissa, MTX, Bugbear, etc. ;)

11. Finn McCool

Finn McCool Registered Member

I've tried several AV programs, even back in the DOS days. My organization has a site license for McAfee, so I used it for a while but found it awkward, slow, and bloated. I switched to Norton, which was a significant improvement. Norton is easy to use, but still a bit bloated and slow. When my Norton subscription ran out, I tried out several programs. Eventually, I chose NOD32. As far as I'm concerned, it's the best available. :D

12. sig

sig Registered Member

But NOD32 is an AV so for trojan coverage, as mentioned before, you probably should augment it with an antiTrojan app. I have BOClean which is a resident AT, simple to use and stays out of my way which is just what I want. TDS3 is a bit more heavy duty than BOClean in terms of functions and features but with an excellent rep also.

For just one app, if I didn't have NOD32 and an AT I probably would at least look at KAV Lite which goes for $20 and has an annual license renewal I believe. I haven't tried it myself, but users speak highly of it. The regular KAV costs more and has more functionalities, but KAV Lite provides the same protection it is said.

13. MarkR

MarkR Guest

Switched from Norton over to NOD and am VERY HAPPY!

NOD32 is faster...I'm glad I made the switch!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.