Is my Truecrypt Encryption safe!? Help!

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by ackzor20, Mar 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ackzor20

ackzor20 Registered Member

So I just encrypted my OS and everything is fine, with one exception.

When I turn my laptop on (A Lenovo Thinkpad) the first thing I see is a Thinkpad page, then I see the Truecrypt booter. I enter my password and windows start loading and everything is fine.

However, if I click Esc ("Skip Truecrypt verification") or something, it comes up a thing where it says "There's been an error blabla, we are scanning your system to try and fix it, the system may restart several times".

What does this mean? Does it mean that the Thinkpad software can somehow restore or do something so my OS can be gained access to without entering the password?

Did I do something wrong when I was encrypting? o_O

2. ackzor20

Nobody knows? :/

3. chiraldude

chiraldude Registered Member

I would say your data is safe. Without the password, your data can't be DE-crypted.
    Not sure what your BIOS is trying to do but your greatest risk is that it tries to reload the boot sector from a hidden backup partition. I assume you have been able to regain access to your system after reboot and entering a correct password?

Hopefully someone that is familiar with your system/BIOS will chime in with some specifics of what is going on.

4. ackzor20

Yes I can gain access with the password but I'm worried that the whole encryption has become worthless somehow because the Thinkpad/Bios stuff loads before the bootloader. If someone knows please help :rolleyes:

5. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

Somehow how? You worry too much. That bios error is probably to do with the fact that the drive is encrypted and bios not knowing how to deal with it.

6. ackzor20

Because the Bios/Thinkpad software somehow has 'controll' over the OS and can restore it or store the password or something? Isn't that possible? o_O

7. PaulyDefran

PaulyDefran Registered Member

Pressing Esc causes TC to exit, and normal computer operations to resume. (paraphrase, see TC manual for exact definition). You can do this, if for example, you decrypt the OS, but still have the bootloader installed, so windows can boot. F8 will bring up repair options, like restoring the Windows boot loader etc...

Your data is encrypted. There is no way your BIOS can read it. The BIOS probably tried to find the Windows boot loader, and when it couldn't, was going to try a FixMBR/FixBoot type of deal. Worst case is that it would offer to restore the bone stock copy of Windows in a hidden rescue partition...but that would have no sensitive data on it anyway.

If you want to be sure, image your system and make sure your rescue disk works...and then see what the BIOS tries to do. (YMMV, I take no responsibility, etc...)

PD

8. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

The bios is going to load. You could even still run a Linux live distro from the optical drive. However, nobody could see anything on your encrypted system. You could even use the hardware on your computer, and its own Linux drivers, as a "live" system.... but again, no access to your data or Windows system files. You're fine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.