Is my Identity really mine?

Discussion in 'ten-forward' started by Loki, Nov 26, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Loki

Loki Registered Member

Hello,

I just finished watching the news and again today they had a story about identity theft :mad: which is what this post is about. Every day I come home and check my mail and at least once a week I'll have a pre-approved credit card application with my name and address already there so how much easier can we make it? This problem is only going to get worse if something is not done.

I have a possible solution and that is the credit card companies are held responsible to pay these claims this will do two things:
    1.) the credit companies will limit the amount these people take and catch them sooner.
    2.) the credit companies will make it harder to steal your identity when they have a financial stake in your identity not being stolen. As it is now they don't care because either you pay them or if you fight by the time you might win they will have recovered any lost money in other ways.

I would like to know if this is a problem in other countries than the U.S. ?
    I plan to write my State Rep. about this and with my ideas... bet he can hardly wait!

Well that was my two cents :D
    Loki :cool:

2. Mr.Blaze

Mr.Blaze The Newbie Welcome Wagon

:cool:yea thats a good ideal stick it to the man

you got my vote :D

3. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

We here are spammed lots too, approved many times a day for what we not asked, to find after long or short registration procedures "only valid in USA"; same with the lost money claims, ancestry trees, etc.
    Sorry Blaze, did not see you did not open this thread, as i just wanted to write something like "Blaze, look in the mirror of your mind and your hands typing and the name you used for login here, or if it could be any of your other many selves or somebody else at all!"
    But now it is about the credit cards, yes good idea, make those companies pay the money they offer making the first move of forgetting about borders, just all those they (seem to) have in their databases.
    There is one database known to be rather detailed and more or less up to date so even (inter?)national security using that one. So you might like to vote for making those people pay for registering and selling(?) people's identities to the advertisers. They're already rich enough from the selling and as organisation in a special area not paying taxes.

4. Mr.Blaze

:Dwill i wrote my name BLAZE i put it towards the miror and i got this

ez-alb but :Dif you change the letters it can say ez-lab

as for many other names i only have two at wilders MRBLAZE and Open Source with open source i use lots of spell checking but when i get to be just ole me i use MRBLAZE

On all other meassage bord i go by MRBLAZE

LOL HIIIIIIII JOOSKY MISSED YOU HUGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

5. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Heya MrBlaze, that was only inside known secret (i thought!). We love the little old you and the amazing knowledgeable Open Source.
    Look at ezalb / blaze here:
    http://www.blazefoley.info/ezalb/
    Is this why you have your forum at ezboards?
    (lot more if you google around)

BTW: only 2? Are you really sure MrBlaze? (ezalbrm was not in the google, yet)

6. Pieter_Arntz

Pieter_Arntz Spyware Veteran

@MRBlaze,

Watch out! Googlism seems to know something about you ;)

@Loki,

I know of one creditcard company where you can get insurance for everything you buy (even on the internet), theft etc. I'm not sure though if they make you pay extra. Most Americans are surprised when I tell them I can do very well without a creditcard. Have done so all my life :cool:

Regards,

Pieter

7. Mr.Blaze

8. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Actually, if you have a credit card stolen or if someone gets a new credit card in your name, you are only legally liable for $50 and most credit card companies will even wave that. In other words credit card companies also get hit by credit card theft but in my country (USA) there are so many people charging so much that it is actually profitable for the credit card companies to keep issuing new cards even if they have to eat a certain percentage of them. The real problem for the individual is that your good credit can be ruined and you may not even know it until you apply for a mortgage, thinking you’ve got excellent credit, and then get turned down because in reality your credit has been ruined. With one phone call (or a letter, I forget) you can have your name permanently taken off all future credit card offers; no more credit offers in the mail. Here are some links for more information:
    http://www.consumer.gov/idtheft/
    http://www.idtheftcenter.org/
    http://www.pueblo.gsa.gov/cic_text/money/identity-crisis/idenalrt.htm
    http://www.privacyrights.org/
    http://www.cardcops.com/

9. controler

controler Guest

O my I didn't know mrblaze went by open sourse also o_O
    you never told me he he
    This board has a warmth that no other board has.
    If you own a sears card, they will fight you to the death to get their money back ;)
    Ya think we should have a Wilders get to gether some day.
    I think I mentioned it along time ago. I am not sure how well the men
    here would handle lining all that up?
    Women seem to do a better job of that kind of thing.
    It would be tough for those in different countries I am sure to meet but with enough warning, I am sure it could happen.

10. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

...one of many things, I'm afraid.. :rolleyes: :D.

regards.

paul

11. Mr.Blaze

:Dyup aint that the truth i can be 100% in the right on an arguement and a woman can turn it around to where i feel guilty lol and have me apoligizing for it lol :D

12. Loki

Loki Registered Member

hi Acadia,

Thanks for the links. I've just got the chance to sit down and catch up with things. :D

Loki :cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.