Is KAV working on chkdsk ?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Bls440, Sep 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

That is interesting that your TI 8 works with XP SP2. It was Acronis official support here in their forum who told me that I cannot use TI 8 with XP SP2 as the boot disk won't work. I wondered if that was possibly a facile answer with the notion of getting money from me for TI 10 as the real motivation for what was said. :D I don't know...I don't see how it could be a SATA issue because I had the world's first SATA drive on my older computer with XP Pro SP1 and no problems with booting to the TI disk. It possibly could be that this current computer has a nVidia chipset, whereas, the earlier computer had Intel. But if nVidia is the problem...that is a support issue and shouldn't be pawned off as my being required to upgrade to TI 10.

I realize I want to do several things at once that I am not experienced in but I don't want to make the mistake of not setting the drives up as I want them and then having problems. What worries me is the RAID drivers and the nVidia chip. I can find lots of help by googling but not for a specific config like what I have ...this is an nForce 4 mobo and there are lots of problems with it. I think Dell XPS support (which is in the USA and dedicated just to XPS machines with special training for the nVidia boards) will walk me through it but I probably should have bought the drive from them ...get better support that way.

The XPS 600 owner's manual (yes, a real paper manual :) ) states that if the drive installed is the primary one then a floppy boot disk is needed. Since the manual says I have to remove the current disk first, place the new disk in the lower bay where the current disk was and then put the current disk in the second bay, I would think the reason for that is that the new disk will be the primary one which is what I want because it is twice as large and has twice the cache size of the current disk so it needs to go in the first bay. But there is no master/slave with SATA disks at least as far as setting jumpers. I may be making a mountain out of a molehill....the SATA hard drives are supposed to be very easy to install. I wish I had one of the newer bioses that has the little drive choice popup at boot though as that would greatly simplify booting to more than one OS.

2. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

Hope you are feeling better. :gack:

3. fredra

fredra Registered Member

4. SourMilk

SourMilk Registered Member

No, they aren't.

5. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

I agree that was funny! I enjoyed it and thanks for posting it. I'd like to have the K ring...that was neat (I love rings).

6. Straight Shooter

Straight Shooter Registered Member

The youtube video was ghastly; of course I was born in 1961 so this "KAV RAP" stuff made me borderline "barf" when I saw it LOL

I wish they took all their energy in making that video and just came out with a removal tool to their insidious CHKDSK corruption issue... Wishful thinking on my part...

7. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Don't misunderstand, I agree Kaspersky has done a first class pr blooper, but why not just remove them yourself. As I type I am in a VM machine, that I just did a blanket removal. To have the disk in an idle state, I booted it to a bartpe disk and using the file manager within barte I opened a cmd window on the c: drive. Then did the FSutil command that was posted. Seems to have worked well. So far no issues. Image first, just in case.

Pete

8. danny9

danny9 Departed Friend

Can't agree with you on this one Peter.
    When I buy a product I expect it to work. If it doesn't, one takes it back for them to fix whether a car, tv or even software.
    I am not interested in work arounds to fix the problems they caused.
    KAV is not the only anti-virus out there.
    I bought it, caused problems, they won't fix it so it's gone. :mad:

9. Peter2150

True, and I don't really have a problem with the objectid's being there, BUT, if you want them gone, then there is a problem with what you are saying. The reality is they are still there. Like it or not anyone who wants them gone, is going to most likely have to do it them selves. That is the current reality.

Pete

10. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

See. Right there a problem. Dells can't use BartPE without going through contortions and reading a 500 post thread and then trying to apply a convoluted fix so that BartPE will work but still doesn't. I should not have to waste time farting around will all this. Kaspersky should issue a removal tool that works on all computers including Dells and that is simple and quick.

11. danny9

danny9 Departed Friend

I understand what you are saying and I should have been more specific.
    When I took kav off I did a reformat and went from there. Fresh.
    What I don't understand is why some of the posters talk about alleviating the problem or are aware of it, but ignore it, and still continue to use kav.

12. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

danny9,

It could be that their experience is similar to mine, or perhaps you're speaking directly of me as an example.

I see an increase in the time to transit stage 2 of a chkdsk run of a couple of minutes. This isn't a problem, it's a physical consequence of file object ID's existing and the fact that they are being read by chkdsk. That's all I see on all my machines. No more, no less, and more importantly, this is a physical neccessity and not a problem. I'm not ignoring anything at the moment.

I view the small number of real problems that have appeared as equal to any other program incompatibility out their that has untoward consequences. You see it and you deal with it. Dealing with it has a number of possible paths including a complete reformat/reinstall, image restore, or wipe of the file object ID's and run of chkdsk or other utility to resolve any residual issues.

If I stopped using any program because a random user somewhere experienced and reported an operational problem, there wouldn't any (and I do mean any) software installed on my machine.

Blue

13. 19monty64

19monty64 Registered Member

Because if it's not a problem for them why shouldn't they keep using it. Someday when they do a re4mat, they will have the opportunity to re-think their position. Frankly, after my last re4mat I decided to test the waters before re-installing any Kaspersky-product. For me, I decided upon Avast, so future issues are not my concern. Now, being KAV-less, I can't imagine going back. Version 8 may change that decision thougho_O

14. danny9

danny9 Departed Friend

My reference was general and not at you directly.
    It's true that not all software works the same on everyone's computer.
    I've tried some like that, uninstalled and that was the end of it.
    No lasting consequences.
    In the case of kav it's more then a random user.
    A similiar problem existed several yrs. back and they came out with a fix.
    A problem exists today, which they have admitted.
    Will they have a fix? Who knows, but as I said before, I will never use it again.
    No matter what they do they'll never be able to regain the trust I had in that product.

15. Peter2150

I kept using KAV when I became aware of it, because I don't care about chkdsk. I have since stop using KAV, but that had nothing to do with the problem. I just decided not to use any AV.

Pete

16. Peter2150

I agree, that KAV adds the objectID's and I also agree it slows down Chkdsk. That hasn't been a problem for me. Yes Kaspersky should issue a fix, but apparently they aren't going to. That's reality. Also if they were to issue a fix, but it didn't work on Dell's whose problem is that. Personally I find the Dell thing more of an issue than KAV. Curious you don't have a Dell warning in your signature.

17. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

KL will miss you :'( :rolleyes:

18. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

The information and especially FACTS are disturbing for me. Although i only recently in this past year started using KIS i had no idea that there was even a CHKDSK problem untill this topic. That's because, like Pete, i pulled Kaspersky in exchange for running another competitor's On-Demand that i didn't need installed with equal detections etc.

I mention disturbing because developers who been around as long as KAV's group surely would have made haste to totally correct this problem with a new build entirely, one without possibly conflicting like all the negative reports indicate.

Simply put though, Microsoft is also just as much if not more at fault in one respect, that is, their failing to meet with these AV groups on a regular basis in useful & constructive discussions to help avert potential destructive problems. I further understand in another respect that there is however a fine line between protecting their trade secrets and how far they are willing to open their map & charts to vendors.

So, in my opinion, this, like some others appears to be yet another classic case of Catch-22, darned if i do, darned if i don't.

19. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

Actually, there are at least three things they need to do, and do now:
    • Create a KAV based tool to remove these entries
    • Allow users to actually disable this functionality in the current release versions in a straightforward fashion if desired by the user
    • Come to grips with the organizational and corporate cultural ethics that have allowed them to go down this type of road twice, turning a remarkably deaf ear to customer comments and desires each time, and in the process squandering a remarkable amount of customer goodwill.
    It is important for companies to listen to the voice of the customer when that voice is offered - and I don't mean the self-congratulatory noise of fan clubs either. Those that don't listen eventually suffer the consequences, regardless of size or the technical merits of their product - it's a dance I've seen played out many times in the past and it's surprising how many technically astute companies can be overcome by a complete lack of social graces.

At least that's IMHO.

Blue

20. Peter2150

Just to clarify. I didn't pull KAV based on a decision to switch. Had I stayed with AV's I'd have kept KAV. I pulled it simply because I decided not to run an AV. It really had nothing to do with this problem.

Pete

21. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Yes, i should perhaps have done the clarifying a little better so that others wouldn't get some idea that it was a Kaspersky problem which made for your & my shift to drop it.

I done so for the exact same reasons, purely to avoid redundancy since i found the combination of HIPS (EQSecure) + FD-ISR umbrella'd & virtualized courtesy Power Shadow + Sandboxie make it uneccessary, especially since i also use an On-Demand AV as i already pointed out.

I should have expressed that UNLIKE Pete, i still use an AV, just not any installed one's. In addition i'll add i had no such problem with KIS myself but rather found it so much more lighter than any AV i ever used before, period.

It's just disturbing that this very popular & renown AV has stumbled on what seems some rough ground ATM.

22. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

so, 'is' KAV working on chkdsk? :)

23. 19monty64

19monty64 Registered Member

Yes, it's called version 8...

24. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

not good enough, this problem was even in 6.

25. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

In other words, current users with this problem be damned. Kaspersky won't have IStreams in the 2008 version which is good. What is, IMO, unforgiveable, and should seen as such by ALL, not just those with the problem, is that those of us who used 2006 and/or 2007, and have this problem, have just been written off by Kaspersky Labs like we are no more than used Kleenx to be thrown away.

Blue summed it up beautifully about 5 posts back.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.