Is KAV 2009 using proxy ?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Metting, Aug 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Metting

Metting Registered Member

Hi all

I am trying to find a replace to my NOD 2.7 after very long update problem, also I don't like to upgrade to NOD 3 because of proxy behavior, so KAV seems to be a good alternative if and only if it don't use proxy.

SO

Is KAV 2009 using proxy i.e act as proxy ?

Thanks

2. doktornotor

doktornotor Registered Member

Every POP3/SMTP/HTTP scanner out there acts as a proxy. Disable those if you dislike it.

3. Metting

Thank u for ur reply, but excuse me this is against my understanding !

For example NOD 2.7 does scan POP3/SMTP/HTTP using winsock and doesn't act as a proxy, also AVG and AVIRA does according to my information.
    Is it correct ? or my information is wrong ?

4. lodore

lodore Registered Member

hey metting,what dont you like about the use of a proxy?

5. doktornotor

AVG has been using a proxy for ages; NOD32 3.0 uses a proxy as well. Avira might have something w/ winsock since I received no mail until running
    Code:
    netsh winsock reset
    :D (and never turned the email filter on again, it was completely redundant in my setup anyway). And yeah I have to agree with the above, what's wrong with the proxy?

6. Metting

Loosing control of applications connection to the internet, because if AV act as proxy every thing is going through it, and I'll loose control to permit or prevent certain applications to connect to certain sites or certain ports.

and if I disable http scanner for example I'll loose the required protection offered by AVs.

Regards

7. doktornotor

Erm... See screenshot. Plus using a (transparent) proxy actually makes the blocking centralized and more simple, so you don't have to care whether it's FF/IE/Opera/wget or whatever else trying to access those undesired sites/ports. Really don't understand how's this a problem. o_O

Attached Files:

8. lodore

lodore Registered Member

hello,
    then i reccomend upgrading to kis2009. you can have complete control by editing the rules of applications in application control.
    all network traffic passes through the kaspersky ndis filter. all know safe applications are automaticaly trusted. you get prompts if something tries to change a trusted app.
    you can demote a trusted app if you wish and block all or certain registry,file and network access. loads of options.

9. Metting

Thank you dear
    doktornotor &
    lodore

But no body till now answer my question:
    Is KAV 2009 using proxy i.e act as proxy ?

Any body knows ?

10. lodore

lodore Registered Member

yes it does use a proxy.

11. doktornotor

Couple more screenshots wrt NOD32 3.0, it can be made per-application as well though I completely don't see the point of doing such things... How does it matter whether you d/l a virus via Firefox or via IE or via whatever else?

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.