Is it worth my moving to Comodo from ZA free ?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by cerberus, Nov 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cerberus

cerberus Registered Member

Comodo looks interesting. At the moment I'm fairly secure behind a decent router/firewall.

I retain an older version of Zone Alarm free so I can monitor/control some outgoing requests.

It's always good to have something familiar if for any reason I'm forced onto dial-up.

Beyond this, the ZA icon in the system tray indicates network activity. This can be a useful indicator of an active circuit when using Tor.

<Questions >

Can Comodo reproduce the benefits of ZA free as stated above ? If so, are there any downsides I should be aware of ?

Tks

2. pvsurfer

pvsurfer Registered Member

Imho, Comodo is more capable than ZA while using less system resources! With Comodo, you get both Application and Rule Filtering. The only thing you will lose by switching to Comodo is a tray icon 'traffic' indicator.

http://www.personalfirewall.comodo.com/

3. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

If you feel you need more protection, then comodo offers just that. Its a lot more secure than za free.

4. steve161

steve161 Registered Member

I say go with Jetico. Great test results and small footprint. The only downside is that is is very busy for the first few hours. After that, it behaves like any other firewall. Just so you know, I used Jetico for a long time but now I have a hardware firewall, so I use DSA for outbound protection.

5. Iangh

Iangh Registered Member

Which is lighter?

Which is more 'out the box' to set up?

Comodo or Jetico?

Ian

6. pvsurfer

pvsurfer Registered Member

Jetico is lighter than Comodo, but imho it's no where near as easy to setup. Adding to Comodo's easy of use is its very nice gui. :thumb:

7. steve161

steve161 Registered Member

It is true that setting up Jetico is a bit of a chore as compared to comodo. But once you go through your frequently used programs and set rules for them, it quiets down substantially. I did use comodo and thought it was an excellent FW, but it seemed to clash with one of my other apps, so I went with Jetico. I guess it depends on whether you value ease of use or light memory usage.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.