Is it True and has Version 9.0 the same too?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by niteghost, Mar 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. niteghost

niteghost Registered Member

Hi,
    My HD is Partition into C:\ and D:\ . Obviously C:\ as the Primary active Partition, I was told by a friend that unless , I Backup the entire HD, the MBR is Not imaged. I usually just backup the C:\ Partition. thinking that "everything" is Backup, if I screwed up.
    Is that true,cause I DO NOT want to Backup the entire HD, just to protect the MBR? Using Version 8.0 B937 and has this change in Version 9.0.

Thanks.

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

if i understand u, ur friend is correct. ur MBR will be backed up only if u image the entire disk. heres a previous thread on the issue

3. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello niteghost,

Not usually a problem if you restore the partition to a drive that already contains a serviceable MBR. However, that isn't the case if you need to restore the partition to a brand new, unpartitioned, hard drive. Should you ever find yourself in this situation then you could use one of the following workarounds:

Restore the partition to the new drive. Boot into the Windows Recovery Console via a Win XP installation CD and issue the command fixmbr. In the case of Windows 9X you will need to boot from a Windows startup floppy and issue the command fdisk /mbr. Alternatively, download Acronis' <mbrautowrite.exe file>, run it to extract the MBR utility onto a formatted floppy disk. Boot from the floppy disk and confirm that you want to fix the MBR (if you don't have a floppy drive then download the <CD ISO version> instead).

Regards

4. niteghost

niteghost Registered Member

Thanks, Menorcaman for your expertise reply. I am not sure what you meant by a ""serviceable MBR" , sorry for my ignorance. Is it using the XP Recovery CD to FixMBR and FIXBOOT, using Optiion "r" in the Recovery Console of XP , if the MBR is corrupted??

Thanks Again

Last edited: Mar 25, 2006
  5. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.