Is It Safe?

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by Nuke, May 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nuke

Nuke Registered Member

When I turned on my Vista machine this morning I encountered the following in the User Account Control:

SSupdate.exe

(Click on details and this is what I see below)

SSupdat.exe.
    Unidentified publisher

C:\ users\ Nuke\Appdata\local\Temp\SSupdate.exe

Software\SuperAntiSpyware.com\SuperAntiSpyware

Cancel

Allow

I selected "Cancel." I do use SuperAntiSpyware. However, yesterday one of my employees asked me if she could use my home network. I said yes but I would need to check out the laptop before she could start surfing the net. I shut down my Vista machine but I left my windows XP desktop on. When I looked at the laptop, I noticed that McAfee had expired and she was not current with the Microsoft updates (really out of date). I went in to MSconfig and took a bunch of scary looking stuff out of the Startup Menu. After that, I finished installing the Microsoft critical updates. I did an online virus scan but more needs to be done (with this laptop). When I saw this new prompt this morning on my Vista computer, I decided it was best to stop working on the laptop. I am sort of thinking that maybe my home network may be infected. So this morning I unplugged the router and the modem, but I'm not really sure if this really does anything. On my Vista computer I use the built-in firewall and the same for my Windows XP machine. I'm just really uncertain about SuperAntiSpyware promp that I have never seen before. If it wasn't for the laptop, I probably would have clicked "Allow."

I know a lot of the members on this forum use and recommend this software. Any suggestions with regards to SuperAntiSpyware on my Vista computer?

(I will continue to do Google searches)

Thanks.

Last edited: May 12, 2009
  2. Nuke

Nuke Registered Member

Problem resolved.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.