Is it safe?

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by Comp01, Sep 4, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Comp01

Comp01 Registered Member

I dunno if this is the right forum, but I want to make sure, is Sygate Firewall completly safe to run on my computer? also will AdAware and SpyBot:Search And Destroy help keep my computer clean? I am just orried about Sygate because it doesnt show up in Ctrl+Alt+Delete, an minus he cash for any programs, I have to resort to freeware :doubt:

2. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Hi Comp01,

Welcome to Wilders Security Forums!

Yes, Sygate's firewall should be safe. I'm not sure what name it actually runs under in the Task Manager, but, I'm sure its really there somewhere.

Just a quick question, did you get your copy of Sygate from Sygate's own home site? You should always download security software from either its primary site or the recommended mirror sites only. This is just to be sure you get a valid copy and the most up to date version.

>> http://soho.sygate.com/

Ad-Aware and Spybot are very good tools and they will keep your system clean of spyware and adware items. Most people here run them.

You haven't mentioned an Anti-Virus program. Do you have one? There are a few free ones available.

What Windows version are you running? There are things you can do in each of them to make your system more secure, if you want.

Best Wishes,
    LowWaterMark

3. Comp01

Comp01 Registered Member

Yeah, I ahve a AntiVirus Program, AVG, I downloaded Sygate from http://www.sygate.com/ official site, Sygate doesnt show up in task manager, I know what programs run (My ISP software, AVG AntVirus which is avgcc32, and avgserv9, and windows thins) when you first click it up to run it it comes up as "Smc" in task manager, then disappears, of course, that might be a security feature but I'm not too sure, I run ALL free Security utilitys, and download them all from a trusted site (I got SpyBot search and destroy from www.cnet.com because I didnt find wilders.org until a bit ago, and didnt know the official SpyBot URL) all tests check out with Sygate, I scanned it with AntVirus before I installed it, and also have a Up-to-date AdAware 6, and I need to update SpyBot tonight.
    Also, I am running Windows98 2nd Edition, but also when windows boots to the network password screen, theres a program in the taskmanger that comes up as <unknown> also should I allow Kernel32.dll windows system component access to the network through sygate?

4. Comp01

Comp01 Registered Member

Also, I use UltimateZip unzipping program, and it checks out with SpyBot and AdAware (even though UltimateZip is free, it has a small little ad iin it for some network/server that the official UltimateZip webpage is ran off of or something)

5. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

sygate shows in my task manager - not under applications but under processes - and its SMC.EXE

6. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

oh and no need for kernal32 to get through the firewall, either.. I keep my ports 137 and 138 completely blocked to UDP because the application block on Syate doesn't seem to stop that annoying though probably harmless access.

7. Comp01

Comp01 Registered Member

What information do we collect/track?

We may request personal information when you place an order, register a product, request a service, request a download, answer a survey, enter a contest, correspond with us or engage in certain other activities on our website. For example:

If you submit an order on-line with us, we will ask you for the information needed to complete the transaction - such as your name, address, and credit card number.
    If you request technical support online, we will ask you for the information needed to complete the transaction - such as your name address and information about your computer hardware, software and the nature of the problem you are experiencing.
    You make the decision whether to proceed with any activity that requests personal information. If you do not wish to provide the requested information, that is your choice. However, you may not be able to complete the transaction or receive the requested service(s).

How do we use the information we collect/track?

Some of the ways this personally identifiable information can be used includes:

To provide you with information about security alerts, product upgrades, new products, services, newsletters, informative emails, and research on future product ideas or improvements;
    To enable us to create information that is relevant to you;
    To provide special offers that may be of interest to you;
    To help us create better products and services to meet your needs;
    To allow you to purchase and download products, obtain access to service(s) or otherwise engage in activities you select
    To help you quickly find software, services or product information important to you.
    **Edit** this is off of
    bhttp://soho.sygate.com/company/privacy.htm thats what I didnt get, maybe its the fact I'm dead tired right now? lol hmm... Sure it doesnt mean much, AdAware or Spybot hasnt found it to be malicious, or spyware.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.