Is it safe to use IMON only (not AMON)?

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by ulukai, Sep 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ulukai

ulukai Registered Member

So far I have been using Amon only. But lately i was thinking... probably the only way some virus can come into my computer is through web browsing. Everything I download is checked by NOD on demand scanner.

So why to use AMON.

Isn't IMON sufficien enough?

Thanks.

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

From the help file of NOD32:
    Personally, I would never, under any circumstances, turn off AMON.

3. webyourbusiness

webyourbusiness Registered Member

I have to agree with ronjor here - if I was going to turn of either IMON or AMON, it would be IMON first.. but I can't think of a valid reason to do so - even my piddly little 500Mhz laptop I keep running with win2000 coz it's got a 15.4" screen handles both IMON and AMON with ease - although I will notice a slight slow-down once in a while when browsing folders with large amounts of files, but still a MILE better than the previousl AV system that was installed.

4. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Hi ulukai, welcome to Wilders.

Why would you want to disable any part of your defences?

Cheers :D

5. ulukai

ulukai Registered Member

I was thinking to disable AMON, because it seems to me that there is no reason to keep him running, when i can run IMON which can control incomming data through http and gain some performance from this. I know that AMON is very optimized with low memory footprint and cpu usage but sometimes i have noticed a short lag when working with very big file, or thousands of small.

I couldn't find a scenario (but i'm not an expert in any way :) ) how could I infect my pc while using IMON to control http and nod od demand scanner to check all downloaded data.

I would be thankful if you could give me some examples to consider.

Thanks.

6. kjempen

kjempen Registered Member

A good example is that NOD32 can't scan inside all types of self-extracting archives or installers.

So let's say you download a trojan that has been packed with an installer that NOD32 can't scan inside. It will pass by IMON because of this, and you will be able to execute/install it (even if NOD32 has the defs to detect this malware).

If you had kept AMON on it would scan the files that the installer extracts/unpacks, and possibly kill the trojan.

7. NOD32 user

NOD32 user Registered Member

...that, and only http and POP3 are checked by IMON.
    It really doesn't save any resources to turn off any module, it just reduces your protection.

Cheers :)

8. cerBer

cerBer Registered Member

NOD actually adds some resources:thumb: , that is exactly why there is no option to switch it off completely :D

9. RickS

RickS Registered Member

Go to the site for EICAR Anti-Virus test file and click on the secure, SSL enabled version of eicar.txt. It is in the second set of files. AMON will catch it, but IMON will not.

10. ulukai

ulukai Registered Member

Hmm... thaks, will consider this.

11. pykko

pykko Registered Member

ulukai, I strongly recommend you to let AMON running. ;) You can never know when you have an infected CD or sometimes some files may slip from IMON detection and you will get infected. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.