Is it really smart to delete the Dllcache Folder from Windows XP?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by HandsOff, Nov 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HandsOff

HandsOff Registered Member

I have heard lots of people delete it because it trims about 200 MB from the windows folder.

Dllcache serves as a backup of all the dlls (and .exe's ?) used in XP. I would guess that it provides some protection from malware tampering with a .dll, but that's just an uninformed guess. Still, how safe would you be without dllcache?

- HandsOff

P.S. - I admit it's tempting...

2. nick s

nick s Registered Member

Hi HandsOff,

It is used by System File Checker. I believe it is possible to disable SFC and delete the contents of dllcache. But you might get yourself into trouble if you need to run SFC without having a XP CD slipstreamed with the service pack your are currently running.

Nick

Last edited: Nov 23, 2004
  3. nod32_9

nod32_9 Guest

It's a safety feature found in WXP. You may encounter problem if a rogue program deleted a critical windows file and windows cannot restore the file from the DLL cache folder.

I have a good image file of my OS for backup. Therefore, I don't need the DLL cache folder. I also disable windows' system restore and move the page file to another partition. You can also reduce the size of your recycle bin to 1% and move IE's Temporary Internet folder to another partition to reduce the size of windows.

Finally, you can copy the DRIVER CACHE to a CD-R disc and delete this folder. When an application requires data from the DRIVER CACHE folder, simply instruct the program to read from the CD-R DRIVER CACHE disc.

4. HandsOff

Hi, and thanks for the insights,

I should clarify that I have plenty of hard drive space but like to keep the c:\ partion as small as possible (without loosing stability). I pretty much only delete things i dont feel I need at all.

Yes, I Meant not delete the folder, only the contents of the folder. Also, Nick, I to sound ignorant, but am unlearned in computer jargon enough so that I have to ask if "an XP CD slipstreamed with the service pack" is computerese, or ?

nod32_9, I prettywell knew from your comments elsewhere that you use an image backup (which can make life soooo much easier).

I am guessing you are saying to a CD-R to save space on whatever other drives or partitions you are using? I am using a system with quite a bit of hard drive space, and i like to conserve my strength (read: am lazy) so just because my drivers change one in a while, i thing i would move to a new partition (if feasable).

did you really delete the Dll's in your XP or just stating you could?

I also disabled restore, and eliminated my recycle bin completely. IE is something that, like most people, I don't really understand. I have it set not to save any cookies, or history, or temp files with just a few exceptions. But I am leary of messing with even the temp folder. One time I thought it would be cool to back up my links on another partion. I copied and pasted, and then decided to delete some of the links in the backup. You guessed it, the corrosponding links in the real folder changed too! hopefully that wouldn't happen with temp files. I just like to know someone has done it, and got no surprises.

-HandsOff

5. nick s

nick s Registered Member

Sorry about that, HandsOff. Slipstreaming just means merging your original XP CD with a service pack and burning the result to CD. This gives you an XP installation CD with the service pack built in.

Nick

6. HandsOff

To Nick -

YOU CAN DO THATo_O HOWo_O

- HandsOff

7. dog

dog Guest

8. Notok

Notok Registered Member

9. HandsOff

I was discussing that prog (nlite) earlier with bad intent for Outlook Express. If one believes in omens the fact that I could not even figure out how to download it would seem to indicate I might have problems with it.

Couldn't figure out how to download it?!?

Yeah I know...I'm sure the link is there...But where? This happens to me all the time, don't worry about it.

"When the client is ready for the software, the software will appear."

anyway, I was just surprised. Next thing, you'll be telling me you can install windows with a sandisk...

I did not get that nlite was really simple to use...is it?

- HandsOff

10. dog

dog Guest

11. nod32_9

nod32_9 Guest

I deleted all items in the DLL folder and moved the contents of the Driver Cache folder to another partition. No stability issue with W2K and WXP for the last 4 years.

12. HandsOff

nod32_9:

That's what I wanted to hear! Thanks for you patience when I seem to be asking the same thing over and over...I helps me to try to understand the logic of why something is done a certain way. In this instance, the apparent reason - to backup the dll's seemed kind of insufficient to justify that kind of intervention by the o/s to me. How many times have you attempted to run an executable and found that it was damaged? I guess that would be much smaller that the amount of (unreadable portions) / (partion size) because of data recovery ability in ntfs. So that's why I wondered if it was an important security function as well. Anyway, I'll give it a try!

Dog:

I will check those sites. Also, it has been pointed out to me that one particular version , I think it was .99 beta, in the summaries of the different versions is referred to as "rock solid for windows XP". Does that mean that so are all subsequent versions do you think? or does it mean, "if you use XP, then use this version"?

Actually, never mind, after looking at it again I have decided to stick with just backing up my whole partion just keep things simple

The guy who is never sure what people mean...
    - HandsOff

Last edited: Nov 24, 2004
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.