Is it preferable to have Macromedia Flash Player version 6.x?

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by HandsOff, Jan 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HandsOff

HandsOff Registered Member

Almost everyone reading in this forumn knows that using spywareblasters tools you can disable annoying and distracting advertizements written with flash versions 5 & 6. They also know that the currently downloadable version is 7 point something. I have always been afraid to ask, but, what the hell...Is it still possible to download version 6? Would doing so be useful, or would I just get innundated with sites telling me to upgrade to the latest version? Is this yet another in the long list of software that gets worse with each succeeding version?

- HandsOff

2. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

Hi,

Just in case there's any confusion, SB will also block Flash 7 (except in a few rare cases that are still being sorted out), even though it only refers to Flash 4 thru 6. I'd swear Javacool still blushes slightly every time someone brings this up and he has to clarify, since (I presume) it would require only a minor text revision within SB. ;)

3. Vietnam Vet

Vietnam Vet Registered Member

Hello HandsOff,

If you are still interested in an older version of the Flash player, the following link will get you there, but consider, in addition to the reservations you have already expressed, that an older version may possibly have a vulnerability that was fixed in the latter version(s).

Flash Player

In addition, this link is for older versions of the Shockwave player.

Shockwave Player

Read carefully!

Best wishes,
    VV

4. HandsOff

Hey, thanks for the responses. Considering what Mikek and VV said I will stick with my 7.x version. I guess I ran into a couple exeptions, and I have a low threshold when it comes to abnoxious, distracting, and insulting advertizements. Some people laugh, and others tell me, 'that goes without saying...', but I will say again, for the record: If an ad is insulting, deceptive, or annoying, I will not consider their products.

Slime example of the day? Okay, I am wanting to make sure I have the spelling correct for "Holodeck" (STNG) since it's not in the dictionary I do a web search. Several sites camee back with discriptions like "We have holodecks and oh so much more...", "Lowest prices on holodecks", "Best holodecks at rock bottom prices..."

BTW, if anyone was wondering, STNG = Star Trek, Next Generation. And I really would like to have a holodeck, even the most basic model.

Slimy, slimy, slimy

Them, not me,
    -HandsOff

5. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

Yup - a text revision that will be happening for the next version. ;)

Best regards,

-Javacool

6. HandsOff

Good to know! I notice microsofts big internet explorer revisions didn't help here. And their security settings + their warning dialogs still leave me unable to determine which setting is which unless I refer to my cheatsheet that I got written by tom coyote a long while back. I mean, how can you even pretend to be enhancing securing when you missuse the terms: java, javascript, flash and activex in your browsers settings and dialogso_O Or maybe THEY can't keep it straight either!

-Handsoff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.