Is it possible?

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by cc, Jan 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cc

cc Guest

Since I ran Spywreblaster on my system I haven't been able to download updates from the 'Windows Update' site..... the 'Windows Update - Web Dialog' pops up - preparing to download - but then nothing happens, no progress at all. Is it possible there are some 'killbits' written by Spywareblaster hindering the downloads? Probably I'm wrong but does someone know how to solve this? Thanks.

2. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

There shouldn't be any conflicting kill bits, and thus SpywareBlaster shouldn't be the issue...

However, you can remove the kill bits by unchecking selected items or pressing the "Deselect all" button, and then pressing the "Remove Protection for Unchecked Items" button. :)

Best regards,

-Javacool

3. cc

cc Guest

Thanks for the reply. Now I've removed the kill bits... but still I cannot download updates from the Windows Update site - http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/en/default.asp
    Even tried the Symantec Securtiy Check - http://security2.norton.com/ssc/ - could run all scans exept the client-side scans. And those scans use ActiveX controls to analyze the system... so the problem is the ActiveX (security settings low in IE: all active content can run). Can you help me solve this 'cause this happened after I installed SpywareBlaster on my system (Windows XP, Home Edition, Service Pack 1). Please.

4. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

If you remove all the kill bits, and the problem still occurs, we can completely rule out this being a problem with SpywareBlaster (by removing the kill bits you remove any and all changes it makes to your system that could potentially cause anything like this - I will again mention that I run every new CLSID through checks will all sorts of software/ActiveX controls to check for any conflicts).

Thus, I'm not really sure what the problem is - have you installed any MS patches lately? Any other new programs? The only I can confirm, at this point, is that SpywareBlaster did not cause the issue. I haven't heard of any MS patches for Windows XP causing this issue, so I suspect it's some program you recently installed.

Hope this helps. :)

-Javacool

5. redwolfe_98

redwolfe_98 Registered Member

i would guess that zone alarm is the culprit.

6. snowy

snowy Guest

JC

its a form of redir.....placing the url in the trusted zone with activeX enabled should resolve the problem

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.